Modify your Woo 6. . Sophia and EML 274B . Images pages 32, 33, 34 of int. and ext. and discussion of the SE . . .
Oct 28, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #736 of 893
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway... I guess that pretty well makes the point, though - a stock $1200 (including the tube) WA6 SE sounds as good, or better, as much more expensive amps.

And... possibly... the $900 GS-1 sounds about as good, also.

Pretty amazing, when you think about it... and all the money invested in more costly amps.

The amps that really sounded better to me were the DIY amps and electrostatics. The balanced Millet Max, the Blue Hawaii, and the KGSS. The beta22 might have made that list also if we hadn't set it on fire before I got to hear it.
tongue_smile.gif

But of the commercially available single-ended dynamic amps, the WA6SE was right up with the best, if not the best.

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #737 of 893
To add to the possibilities of the SE because the regular 6 doesn't have the room, I would try some inductors for the plate of the first section of the 6DE7.

An inductor to load the plate, like a Hammond 150 henry 8mA would work great. The first section of the tube has a dropping resistor to the plate for the 62 volts. Instead of having the plate directly getting its energy from a resistor you put in a 150 henry or larger (hammond has a 150 henery 8mA I have used many time at 3300 ohms) and the tube now has an inductor supplying it which gives better dynamic, a cleaner sound and better transparency. The inductor give a type of current supply that is in a way, constant because as the field around the inductor collapses it continues to deliver. The inductor give a good source of current, the cap is for voltage. I do not like to resistor load tubes if I have a choice.

HAMMOND-63077156C150mA 8DC resistance 3700 max voltage 400 size 0.502.811.501.692.380.187 $17.84 this is parts connections. At Antique Audio in Phoenix, which has a huge, huge tube supply, they are 14 dollars an change.

The last time I bought these they were 12 dollars and that wasn't all that long ago. I guess the price of copper mandates much now. edit: I found them at Antique Audio as mentioned above for less than the 17.84.

Nov 4, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #740 of 893
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Hear no Evil"

What do you have sitting on top of the TV, or the dashboard of your car?
tongue.gif

"See no Evil", "Do no Evil"...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4907573-post3611.html

And if you wanna know how my HT looks, click Pics from my signature
wink.gif

beerchug.gif

Nov 9, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #741 of 893
jamato8 et al:

Thanks for a great thread.
beerchug.gif

/me adds WA6 to shortlist of prospective amp purchases

*subscribes*

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #742 of 893
My Princess is back !
gs1000.gif

A few weeks ago I broke my Sophia Princess
deadhorse.gif
!

All at once I ordered a new one and am very sorry for my wallet , ... but it's so good for my ears ! Thanks to jamato8 and others we know that WA6-SE and princess are a great couple .

Though I have both GZ34 and Mullard GZ30 which are very good along with my Grado GS 1000 , the Princess is (I am not able to describe it as you do and english is not my first language) magic , very comfortable and enjoyable .

Now I am waiting for an EML 274b and do not know if it will surpass the Sophia . Will keep you informed .

Just a tip for the newbies : WA6-SE + Sophia Princess ... if you can afford them !
wink_face.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #743 of 893
"The princess is magic"... I think you describe it perfectly!

A broken princess would indeed be tragic. I might cry if mine were broken.

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #744 of 893
Would it make any sense to use the WA6 with computer audio set-up?
Or should I get a player and haul my CD's out of storage?

Also if I could use this with my Mac- what's the best connection? line out from mac into WA6?

Nov 14, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #745 of 893
I would use lossless or wav on the mac and use an external dac, if you have one of the latest models with an optical out if not a USB dac to the Woo.

Nov 14, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #747 of 893
Quote:

Originally Posted by Randolph Duke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would it make any sense to use the WA6 with computer audio set-up?
Or should I get a player and haul my CD's out of storage?

Also if I could use this with my Mac- what's the best connection? line out from mac into WA6?

Mac would be great if you ripped the CD's onto it at a high bit rate, at least 320 kbps or lossless. Otherwise, get your CD's out. And, you can still play the CD's on the Mac when the hard drive is full, till you get an external drive for the music.

I would use a DAC with it, because my Macbook sounds about like my 5.5G iPod video. Decent but nothing to write home about. Great DACs for Mac at a don't go bankrupt budget include Apogee Duet firewire ($500) or Stello DA100 (optical and USB $695). Great DAC at a "I don't wanna eat Ramen and Tuna for months if I spend over $400" price are Headroom Micro DAC ($399) or iBasso D3 ($219).

Nov 14, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #748 of 893
Quote:

Originally Posted by Randolph Duke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So would I be able to use something like the predator as a DAC and connect that to a WA6? Or is this overkill?
(sorry- I'm new to all this and trying to learn)

You can use the Predator, although it will add just a little more flavor or seasoning to the sound than a Pico or iBasso D3 (or a dedicated DAC for that matter). Your mileage may vary.

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #749 of 893
Meh, until my 6 warms up, meh.

It took 6 hours today. That is ok with me as the sound is great now but until everything settles., . . a big Meh. .

I think it is because of all the caps I use and some feel, and I have noticed this, that the materials the Black Gates are made of require time to form after being turned off. I know Audio Note UK believes they have to reform if turned off and they try and use them where equipment will not be turned off, as in their 60,000 dollar amp, etc.

I believe that if I took my amp to a meet unless on for some time, as in 6 hours or more, it would be questioned as to how good it was or did I know what I was talking about.

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #750 of 893
To improve sound quality of a WA6-SE do you believe that Tube Dampers are worth it ?
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back