Modifications to Denon AH-Dxxxx - should I?
Aug 31, 2011 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

alanbeeb

100+ Head-Fier
I love my stock Denon AH-D5000, bought 2nd hand for a song. Of all the phones I've heard and owned they are the ones that give me huge amounts of joy. I love 'em.

So obviously thinking of upgrades to get even more of the same..... should I splash out on a pair of D7000, or go the whole hog and get a pair of LA7000 with all the bits?  With me being in the UK it doesn't make sense to do this in stages, cost of these phones over here is horrific, then cost of 2-way transatlantic crossings just gets silly.

In short.... is it worth it?  Would like to hear honest views from fellow Denon AHD fans who have and haven't gone down the LA route. Thanks

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 11
I hear the LA mod's change the stock sound drastically, so if you like the sound of you stock 5000's then perhaps just upgrade to the ah-d7000?

I'm also wondering about this, currently owning a stock d7000, I like the sound but am always curious as to what a LA-D7000 will sound like...

you try J$ pads? its definitely the cheapest upgrade and I hear has pretty good results, I may be planning on getting some of those...

Aug 31, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
What exactly are you looking for in the upgrade?

More of what I get from the 5000.... big soundstage, rich full bodied sound, deep taut bass, just the right amount of top-end sparkle.

Aug 31, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #5 of 11
Sep 1, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #6 of 11
In my opinion, if I were to spend a few more hundred dollars, I'd rather jump for the next up in headphone food chain.  That's why I jump from D2000 to D7000 direct.  Here is the bottom line that I'm thinking. 

If you have a headphone that you feel not right, no amount of modification will change it for you. Just get another headphone that fits your need.  I've seen D7000 users who seemed to want it to sound like something other than D7000, and I always wondered why not get the headphone they wanted rather.  My 2 cents.

Sep 1, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
In my opinion, if I were to spend a few more hundred dollars, I'd rather jump for the next up in headphone food chain.  That's why I jump from D2000 to D7000 direct.  Here is the bottom line that I'm thinking. 

If you have a headphone that you feel not right, no amount of modification will change it for you. Just get another headphone that fits your need.  I've seen D7000 users who seemed to want it to sound like something other than D7000, and I always wondered why not get the headphone they wanted rather.  My 2 cents.

Sometimes you can only get a specific sound you want from a modded pair of headphones. That, and modding headphones can be considerably easier and cheaper than buying a new pair and potentially selling your old pair.

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
I love my stock Denon AH-D5000, bought 2nd hand for a song. Of all the phones I've heard and owned they are the ones that give me huge amounts of joy. I love 'em.

So obviously thinking of upgrades to get even more of the same..... should I splash out on a pair of D7000, or go the whole hog and get a pair of LA7000 with all the bits?  With me being in the UK it doesn't make sense to do this in stages, cost of these phones over here is horrific, then cost of 2-way transatlantic crossings just gets silly.

In short.... is it worth it?  Would like to hear honest views from fellow Denon AHD fans who have and haven't gone down the LA route. Thanks

I would either stay with the D5000 or go to the stock D7000.  I have not done any LA mods, however I tried J$ version 2 pads for several months and while I saw none of the pad quality problems that others have reported, I did not feel the pads inproved either the sound quality or the comfort of my D7000.

Sep 1, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #9 of 11
I owned the AH-5000's for about 8 months and the biggest thing i hated was the cable. I had J$ pads on mine, which i wouldn't even hesitate to buy them again for stock pads that were crap. If i were you id maybe put some of the foam around the driver to control the bass, and get the headphones recabled.

Sep 1, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #10 of 11
Have both D2000 and D7000 here and are most deffinitley no night and day difference between the 2, not to my ears anyway.
Both sound so similar, gotta listen hard to pick up any differences.

Not sure how much better the LA mods sound but upgrading your D5000's would be alot cheaper than shelling out for D7000's and modding them.

Oct 10, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #11 of 11
I did the LA mod to my D5000's and bam ! What an improvement. It tied in the lows, mids, and highs perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back