Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
Oct 16, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #1,111 of 1,326
I currently have MK3 SE with a lock mechanism. I'd like to switch to Periapt Pro XLR cable. Would it fit well in the lock mechanism or do I need to remove it somehow? Modhouse does not respond to me for some reason.
It will fit, but not giving you a fully balanced sound and Modhouse does not do retrofit the lock mechanism by itself unless they mod the headphones.

Dec 3, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #1,115 of 1,326
I received my Argon mk3 in September and ran them off my Topping L30. The reason I bought them was because of the reviews saying the bass is so good. But after a lot of listening on the L30 I felt like the bass quality was lacking, maybe a bit muddy. It all kind of sounded like the same one bass note and to be honest I was a little disappointed.

I didn't want to give up on them though, since a lot of people are saying they need a ton of power. So I bought a Topping A30pro. Just running RCA in and SE out. And... yeah it's a lot better, the bass is more textured and tight and controlled. I'm enjoying the Argons way more, they definitely need the extra power.

Dec 3, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #1,116 of 1,326
I received my Argon mk3 in September and ran them off my Topping L30. The reason I bought them was because of the reviews saying the bass is so good. But after a lot of listening on the L30 I felt like the bass quality was lacking, maybe a bit muddy. It all kind of sounded like the same one bass note and to be honest I was a little disappointed.

I didn't want to give up on them though, since a lot of people are saying they need a ton of power. So I bought a Topping A30pro. Just running RCA in and SE out. And... yeah it's a lot better, the bass is more textured and tight and controlled. I'm enjoying the Argons way more, they definitely need the extra power.
Yeah, I originally ordered my Argon single-ended, powered off my ASUS Essence STX sound card. And it was... okay. But I heard about how they scale so well with power so I sent them back in for a balanced conversion and picked up a Singxer SA-1 to power them. My Argon is in transit right now, I can't wait to finally hear this amp/headphone combo

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #1,117 of 1,326
Has anyone tried both t50rp mk3 and t60rp argons?

Yes.

I sold the t60rp and kept the t50 mk3

Very subjective (of course) --> I personally found the t60 to be sibilant and prefered the HiFiman Ananda and also my Focal Clear (OG). The Clear is not a fair comparison given the price point, but the Ananda is not far off on cost. I preferred the increased resolution and separation of the Ananda + massive sound stage...was willing to trade these gains for a little less bass.

In comparison, I love the argon t50 mk3 and will never sell it. It's just a great all arounder / super fun / engaging headphone. Full bass, but also surprisingly clear mid-range vocals.

Dec 16, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #1,118 of 1,326
I looove the mk3 as well but may sell it soon to help fund the VC. I've never felt sad to move on from a headphone before, especially in pursuit of an "end-game," but I will surely miss the incredible comfort and versatility of the Argons.

Dec 17, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #1,119 of 1,326
I looove the mk3 as well but may sell it soon to help fund the VC. I've never felt sad to move on from a headphone before, especially in pursuit of an "end-game," but I will surely miss the incredible comfort and versatility of the Argons.

I understand -- I have the Aeolus on cranium right now :sunglasses:

I find the mk3 to be a different experience. Like a melted/mixed up ice-cream sundae...no idea whats in the bowl at some point...but sure tastes good! They're on my never-sell rack of 5 headphones.

Jan 13, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #1,120 of 1,326
I've only had the mk3 for a week and a half, and I just can't get enough of them. They just keep being awesome no mater what I throw at them.

I understand -- I have the Aeolus on cranium right now :sunglasses:

I find the mk3 to be a different experience. Like a melted/mixed up ice-cream sundae...no idea whats in the bowl at some point...but sure tastes good! They're on my never-sell rack of 5 headphones.
I have to know- what else is on the rack?!

Jan 16, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #1,121 of 1,326
I just purchased a used pair of MK2 (TX0) Argon.(while I wait for my Mk3 argons, but I might change my order to T60 Argons now) They came with perforated pads, and they sounded terrible. No bass and extremely sibilant. I purchased a pair of ZMF Oval lambskin pads and they sound much better. Bass is much more full, while not being bloated. Treble was also tamed a bit. I really enjoy them now.

Jan 16, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #1,122 of 1,326
I've only had the mk3 for a week and a half, and I just can't get enough of them. They just keep being awesome no mater what I throw at them.

I have to know- what else is on the rack?!

For me, headphones I'd be unlikely to part company with:

1. Focal Clear (OG)
2. ZMF Aeolus
3. Grado Hemp
4. Senn. HD600 (modded)
5. Argon MK3
6. Beyerdynamic DT880 (600 ohm)

I suppose that is 6 (not 5) :sunglasses: ... I just trimmed down end of last year...offloaded my HiFiman(s) and T60s..... collection seems to have creeped back up again 🤷‍♂️:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jan 18, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #1,123 of 1,326
I'm finding that I'm not very fond of the Periapt cable I ordered with my Argon. It's just a bit too cumbersome for me. So I'm taking this opportunity to do an experiment regarding the influence of cables in audio quality. When I first started in this hobby, there were a lot of things that I thought were snake oil that turned out to actually have an audible influence for me. I personally expect that cables, so long as they aren't damaged, shouldn't impact audio quality. But I've never tested it before, so here we go!

I picked up a cheap-o $4 3.5mm TRRS cable,
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZBUDRM

and on the headphone end of that cable I have this little cheap-o right-angle connector,
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08T95DVQK

and on the amp end, I have this 3.5mm TRRS to 4.4mm adapter,
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B075165H2M

Premium Periapt custom cable versus budget Frankencable. Both are fully balanced solutions, so that won't be a factor. The Periapt cable would have an advantage in regards to EMI, but I don't live someplace where the advanced shielding benefits me.

I'm gonna spend a couple weeks listening to my Argon using my ultra-cheap Frankencable, and then I'll switch back to the Periapt and see if I can detect any difference. Should be interesting!

Jan 18, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #1,124 of 1,326
I'm gonna spend a couple weeks listening to my Argon using my ultra-cheap Frankencable, and then I'll switch back to the Periapt and see if I can detect any difference. Should be interesting!
I can't wait to hear the results! I've been using my Argon with a balanced cable from hart audio, and the physical feel and weight are perfect, but I often wonder if/how it impacts the sound.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #1,125 of 1,326
Yeah, I've had Hart cables before, and between Hart and Periapt, I much prefer Hart, as well. But also, I don't want to spend $75 on another cable if I don't have to. So we'll see what happens with this little experiment of mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back