Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
Oct 11, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #706 of 1,326
Yeah I don't keep T50 mods on hand to compare to, so the review of the Classics was only done against other reference closed backs I have on hand like the K553 and now the K371. Also sorry about the idiocy I caused in the comments on that video FireLion, but you sounded exceptionally ungrateful that I did a review at all, and then I was so confused by your use of "we" all over the ASR thread as if you're an owner of a T50 modding company. I will still have to talk to Ryan to see what kind of Argon review units and pads I can get ahold of just to hear what he's done lately. And yes it's true, I heavily weight detail and soundstage over FR if I can EQ that FR to preference, within reason.

Oct 12, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #707 of 1,326
I will still have to talk to Ryan to see what kind of Argon review units and pads I can get ahold of just to hear what he's done lately.

I would greatly value a review of yours on his recommended T60RP with microsuede setup. Your and Zeos' and DMS' reviews of the Argon were what got me into it, and I am very grateful/glad to have made the jump as it's a clear and big step above all else I've ever owned (Fidelio X2, oppo PM-3, WH1000XM2, and a pile of other mid-fi Senns and others). That said, I'd love to better understand how far off it is from the flagship offerings from other makers. How does the SS compare to an HD-800? How does the depth and body of bass compare to a TH-600 or 900? How warm is it compared to the ZMF house sound? Is it really detail or just aggressive treble?

As if you haven't heard these same questions 50,000 times before. :)

Oct 12, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #708 of 1,326
love my argons
a great companion to my nightowls, senn 414s and modded koss ksc75s

Oct 18, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #709 of 1,326
My Argon MK3 just arrived. This is a super fun headphone. Congratulations to Ryan Dietz for creating such an interesting mod for this headphone.

They sound great out of the box driven by the Lyr 3 or Jotunheim SE output. I purchased the balanced option but forgot to get the periapt balanced cable. The Jot SE still provides enough power and really controls the bass. I bet they will sound even better from the balanced out.

I was looking for a fun headphone for rock and metal that is fast and has good mid bass response. So far these sound great with metal and synthwave. They are fast and have a nice elevation in the mid bass that helps with resolving kick drums and bass guitar. The mids are relatively resolving (especially at this price point) and electric guitar sounds great. The treble is a bit recessed, which helps with fatigue when listening to poorly recorded metal. The detail is still very good however.

The overall signature reminds me of the Atticus or Emu Teak. This is a warm, very slightly dark planar headphone. The sound stage is really good and comparable to the Atticus and Emu Teak. The Argon's sub bass is less pronounced vs. those headphones, but the bass overall feels a bit faster. Transient responses are fast.

Compared with the Aeon Flow Open, the Argons are less resolving and not as fast, with less detailed treble and mids. The Argon wins in sound stage and bass slam. The semi-open nature is a nice compromise, providing a bit of isolation while creating a more open sounding headphone.

This is a really fun headphone that performs very well at this price point.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #710 of 1,326
How long did it take for it to arrive? I sent my mk2 to be modded Aug 8, I have not received any updates to when it will ship. Ive sent 2 emails asking for updates never got a reply. Its almost 11 weeks, begining to get worried. :disappointed_relieved:

Oct 29, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #711 of 1,326
How long did it take for it to arrive? I sent my mk2 to be modded Aug 8, I have not received any updates to when it will ship. Ive sent 2 emails asking for updates never got a reply. Its almost 11 weeks, begining to get worried. :disappointed_relieved:

I ordered mine on Aug 26 and have received nothing yet, myself. Very excited about these, but we are way past the time period stated on the website for receipt. I have also sent emails asking for an update, with no reply. I guess we just keep holding our breath.

Oct 29, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #713 of 1,326
Mine were ordered on June 17 and shipped on August 24 from PA. Arrived four days later with the cheapest shipping option to NC.

August 8th till now is longer than expected, but I am sure you'll get them back before too long.

Nov 9, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #718 of 1,326
Received my MK2 Argon today! It's slightly warmer and more relax sounding than Mr Speakers Mad Dog in my opinion. Out of my fostex cans this will be rank no2, 1. T60RP, 2. MK2 Argon , 3. MK2 Mad Dog, 4. MK3 Mayflower mod and 5. Dekoni Blue. I'll take this to the office as my daily driver.

Nov 12, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #719 of 1,326
Received my MK2 Argon today! It's slightly warmer and more relax sounding than Mr Speakers Mad Dog in my opinion. Out of my fostex cans this will be rank no2, 1. T60RP, 2. MK2 Argon , 3. MK2 Mad Dog, 4. MK3 Mayflower mod and 5. Dekoni Blue. I'll take this to the office as my daily driver.

Try T60RP Argon with suedes...it's nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back