Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
Sep 1, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #916 of 1,323
Hi.I have an dillema.I have an mk3 modhouse t50rp in order.Now im wanting the sony wh1000 xm4 for allround use and travelling.I got the beyerdynamic dt1770 pro and amiron home.I want to sell one of them to get the xm4.Wich one should i sell? Are the dt1770 pro and modhouse somehow similar? The amiron home is open back.Maybe keep these? 🤔🤔🤔

Sep 1, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #917 of 1,323
Hi.I have an dillema.I have an mk3 modhouse t50rp in order.Now im wanting the sony wh1000 xm4 for allround use and travelling.I got the beyerdynamic dt1770 pro and amiron home.I want to sell one of them to get the xm4.Wich one should i sell? Are the dt1770 pro and modhouse somehow similar? The amiron home is open back.Maybe keep these? 🤔🤔🤔

Sell the Sonys :wink:

Sep 1, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #918 of 1,323
Sell the Sonys :wink:

Hehe.Maybe,maybe 😉 I know the sony is nearly as good as the beyers.But i thought they would be an good allround compromise for travelling and some home use.I have my desktop dac/amp rig in the living room,so i cant use it whenever i want.I thougt that if i sell the dt1770,i will have one open back (amiron home),one closed back ( modhouse argons) and one bluetooth headphone 😊 I also have the fiio fh7 with lc2.5 balanced cable and fiio btr5.They are good,but i hate to take them on/off all the time for comunicate with others.And still after all these years with different iems,i still arent that comfortable with sticking something in my ears.I prefer headphones most of the time. But i like to have the iems for use now and then. 😊 To get the sonys,i have to sell/sacrifice one of the beyers 😔

Sep 11, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #921 of 1,323
It has been interesting journey with my Argon’s. Starting with the the weak Amp on the dragonfly red they were slow, bloated, congested and had rolled off highs. I was going to sell them. Then I got the 789 amp but my Argon’s were single ended and so, at 50 ohms, the 789 can only feed them 0.9 watts but that really cleaned them up. everything tightened up and the highs are not only more extended but noticeably smoother. I then took my them apart and installed 3.5 mm sockets in each cup so I can now run them balanced out of my 789. At 50 ohms that is about 4.5 watts. Wow what a difference! The bass got even tighter, the mids came forward and the top end extended even further... Uh oh!! These were now quickly dethroning most of my best headphones. The last thing I did was finally take Ryan’s advice and switched from the lambkin pads to the protein pads and that was nothing short of amazing! Remarkably cleaner from top to bottom. I have now been using them for about a month and am finding it impossible to use my other phones. My hd600 sounds like a child’s toy - thin, shouty, grainy and narrow.. My Elex sounds fake, sterile and harsh. The LCD2c gets demolished in almost every category. IMO, other than maybe better definition in the mids and possibly better layering, there is nothing that the LCD2c does better than this Argon. I agree with the DMS review, every time I put these on I think to myself What is happening?? I usually have little interest in EDM but If you have these with a super clean and powerful amp try Infected Mushroom - Head of NASA or the Blade runner 2049 soundtrack... What is happening inside my head 😂😂😂
The fun dimension aside, for rock, folk, vocal, acoustic and EDM they are extraordinary! I still prefer my Elex for classical and my Nighthawks and Nightowls will always have a very special place in my heart. Also, If you use headphones for movies and TV this is best Headphone on the planet. For those that don’t already own this, the one drawback is, you can’t just order it on amazon and plug it in to any amp. You can usually find them for around 350 used or you need to order a t50rp, ship it to Modhouse and wait 2-3 months. You must also have an SS amp that is very clean, NOT warm and puts out at least 3 watts of power. As my journey shows, the more power the better the sound.
DD3C3C8E-8218-4F7A-9EC4-996985A6A70C.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #922 of 1,323
The THX amps are not balanced but they do deliver more power out of the XLR sockets.

Demolishes the LCD-2C?! I gotta get a pair of Argons! :D

Sep 11, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #923 of 1,323
Why no internal pictures of the T50/T60 Argon mods? Even elsewhere online?
I can post pics of what the mod looks like Inside the cup but if your are trying to copy it they wouldn’t do you any good. This is not a minor mod. When I opened them up to install 3.5mm sockets for a balanced cable it appears that he does EXTENSIVE mods to not just the cup but also the driver, I assume to smooth out the highs, remove the 10khz peak and help create the enormous soundstage. These don’t sound like or resemble the original T50rp headphone in any way. I’ve heard both the stock t50rp and my Aragon mkIII back to back and I wouldn’t even guess they were in the same family they sound so different.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #924 of 1,323
The THX amps are not balanced but they do deliver more power out of the XLR sockets.

Demolishes the LCD-2C?! I gotta get a pair of Argons! :D
I am not implying that the balanced output is what increased the sound quality. The sound quality out of 789 is exactly the same between the balanced output in the single-ended output but the balanced has four times the power.

Sep 11, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #925 of 1,323
I am not implying that the balanced output is what increased the sound quality. The sound quality out of 789 is exactly the same between the balanced output in the single-ended output but the balanced has four times the power.

Understood. I meant to clarify that the THX amps don't have balanced outputs even though there is more power available at the XLR outputs.

Certainly, underdriving many types of cans leads to poor sound quality even though sometimes the volume seems fine. I noticed this effect with 300 ohm Sennheisers a long time ago and with 250 Beyers recently. And I have read about the Fostex t50 and 60rp that they need a lot of power.

Sep 11, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #926 of 1,323
Understood. I meant to clarify that the THX amps don't have balanced outputs even though there is more power available at the XLR outputs.

Certainly, underdriving many types of cans leads to poor sound quality even though sometimes the volume seems fine. I noticed this effect with 300 ohm Sennheisers a long time ago and with 250 Beyers recently. And I have read about the Fostex t50 and 60rp that they need a lot of power.
yes and and the Modhouse is dramatically more power hungry than the t50rp. the interesting thing about the 789 is the single ended input. Over on that thread the designer Andrew suggests not using the single ended inputs even if you have to use rca to XLR adapters because of a ground bounce problem. I started with single ended input and heard the exact problem he described. Got some Cardas adapters and now totally silent.

Sep 11, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #928 of 1,323
Guys, I believe JDS Labs Element 2 will drive the t50rp or t60rp Argons just as good as the THX amp, right?

Also, I'd rather avoid posting the Argons mod online. This mod is the guy's business, I guess it's not appropriate to try to copy it imho (if I understood the question). He does some wonders to the headphones, I appreciate it and I buy it :)

Sep 11, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #930 of 1,323
Guys, I believe JDS Labs Element 2 will drive the t50rp or t60rp Argons just as good as the THX amp, right?

Also, I'd rather avoid posting the Argons mod online. This mod is the guy's business, I guess it's not appropriate to try to copy it imho (if I understood the question). He does some wonders to the headphones, I appreciate it and I buy it :)
If I read the specs correctly, the JDS element II is only going to put out around 0.8 Watts into 50 ohms. That is not enough power to get the full sound Quality of these headphones. You would need at least four times that amount of power in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back