Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
Apr 3, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #526 of 1,323
Good intel. Thanks @Cruelhand Luke . I understand the specs, Modhouse uses the 'pro' version of the headphones, not the 'consumer' version, right? So, replacement parts are available. The Argons look gloriously chunky. I'm certain my Vali2 or Magni3 (similar to @MattAsAHatter 's Atom) will drive them without issue. Thanks eh.
2 points:
1) as far as I am aware, there is only one version of the RP series...no "pro" or "consumer" just RP
2) the set of Argons I have are actually based on an even earlier version of the RP series...I believe production stopped in the late 90s? I researched at one point...mine actually have the earlier round drivers as opposed to the current square configuration...see in the picture
the housing is more round as opposed to oval? 47391815_10215248154011351_4107064826147110912_o.jpg
my point being, the RP series are a long life, durable design.

Apr 4, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #527 of 1,323
Tough way to find out you don't like something after 9 weeks.. How would you describe the sound in your own words?

Mine are 6 weeks out and I don't have much experience with nice headphones so probably gonna like them regardless. Excited

I would describe them as warm and rich and even whilst typing this I'm thinking it sounds like my kinda thing. What I've realised is I'm not a fan of a wide soundstage. My all time favourite headphone is the Senn HD-25 which is reputed to have a narrow soundstage. Whilst conventional wisdom dictates that a wider soundstage is better I really like the in-your-face presentation of the HD-25. It's a shame as between the soft head strap and the big gorgeous ZMF pads these are easily the most comfy headphones I've tried. Hopefully they'll find a forever home where they will be loved :sunglasses:

Hope the wait goes quickly for yours!

Apr 5, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #528 of 1,323
I use a Magni 3 to power mine, and you won't hear me complaining. :wink:

I think there is going to be a 'like new' set available in the classifieds soon...
"Well, after persevering with them and desperately wanting to like them after the long wait to get them...I'm gonna have to let them go. The headphones themselves would be great for those who get on with the sound signature. I would have sworn they were my perfect headphones from the reviews but my tastes have changed over the years. Expensive way to find out but such is the way with this hobby. Will stick them on ebay or the sale forum here over the weekend."
you should holla at @bigtim
Thanks for the head's up, @Cruelhand Luke . I need to replenish my beer-fund before I spend more cash. Expensive hobby? Yep. It does collect an odd collection of users who value enjoyable sound.
Thank you for the insight. I had been waiting and trying to find everywhere if the argon mk3 would pair with tubes . Well atleast I got a amp that could power it now , THX 789 AMP

2 points:
1) as far as I am aware, there is only one version of the RP series...no "pro" or "consumer" just RP
2) the set of Argons I have are actually based on an even earlier version of the RP series...I believe production stopped in the late 90s? I researched at one point...mine actually have the earlier round drivers as opposed to the current square configuration...see in the picture
the housing is more round as opposed to oval?
When I visited Fostex's global website, it seemed there were two different product lines. RP-series... and their general line-up. Still, I understand (1). Sony does this sort of thing with their MDR-xxxxx series (that I was able to nab) and their "Best-Buy models". ...(I might be unkind with my musings... but there's a $3K Sony headphone. The Z1R model ... What?).
I would describe them as warm and rich and even whilst typing this I'm thinking it sounds like my kinda thing. What I've realised is I'm not a fan of a wide soundstage. My all time favourite headphone is the Senn HD-25 which is reputed to have a narrow soundstage. Whilst conventional wisdom dictates that a wider soundstage is better I really like the in-your-face presentation of the HD-25. It's a shame as between the soft head strap and the big gorgeous ZMF pads these are easily the most comfy headphones I've tried. Hopefully they'll find a forever home where they will be loved :sunglasses:
Hope the wait goes quickly for yours!
Interesting & useful observations for me, @bigtim .

Apr 19, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #529 of 1,323
I bought a pair of the TX0/MK2s off the for sale section of the board here earlier today. Can't wait to hear these. I also bought a speaker output to balanced headphone adapter from Dyson Audio. I'm going to use this to power the Argons from my Primaluna Prologue 4 tube amp (42 wpc running KT-120s at 8ohms). I think this should be enough power to drive them lol! Going to pair this with a MHDT Havana Tube dac streaming Tidal. Also have a vintage Marantz 2220B receiver that should power these nicely. The Marantz is paired with a modded Sonagraphe SG-3 turntable with carbon fiber mat and TTWeights Audio center weight and periphery ring clamp. It has a Jelco 750 arm with Shuggie collar and an Ortofon 2M Black cartridge. Did I mention I can't wait to hear these cans lol! They should be here Monday. It's going to be a long weekend!

Apr 19, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #530 of 1,323
I bought a pair of the TX0/MK2s off the for sale section of the board here earlier today. Can't wait to hear these.
I also got the TX0 used and gave them a good listen before sending them off to Modhouse. Let me tell you, however much you like them, I wholeheartedly recommend you send them off to be turned into Argons! They are greatly improved after the mod.

Apr 19, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #531 of 1,323
They have already been modified with the Argon mods. I do enjoy the "before and after" process, but won't get to hear it with these. From everything I've read though, doesn't really sound like I'll be missing anything other than a basis of comparison between stock and modified.

Apr 19, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #532 of 1,323
They have already been modified with the Argon mods. I do enjoy the "before and after" process, but won't get to hear it with these. From everything I've read though, doesn't really sound like I'll be missing anything other than a basis of comparison between stock and modified.
In stock form they are underwhelming. The only thing I liked about mine stock was the mids had a very 'natural' sound...compared to all my other headphones the mids in stock form sounded more 'real' as opposed to listening to a recording. That's it.
You listen to the stock ones and think, "well, I see why everybody that ever touched a set of these tried to mod them somehow..."

Apr 20, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #533 of 1,323
I’ve been loving my Schiit Loki with my Argons. It allows me to tweak all the little things I think need adjusting. I can easily make small changes on an album to album or even song to song basis. I have a baseline setting on the 4 knobs with the Argons and hardly ever change much from what I’ve settled on. I have sub-bass and mid-bass turned down a little bit and mids and highs bumped up a little.

Apr 20, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #534 of 1,323
Glad to hear it. You certainly aren’t missing too much. I’ll admit it was fun to hear them before if only to have some perception of how much they improved with the Argon mod.

Apr 20, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #535 of 1,323
no a good match, it seems to do the opposite of what it does to my 58x. you lose alot of base which turns into more of a distortion. I wont run any of my planars through the darkvoice. They all sound amazing through the emotiva and liquid spark.
Interesting musing, @Shroomalistic . If I order an Argon Mk3, my little powerhouse (Schiit Magni3) will be its designated amp. My Vali will be for my tube amp (tricked-out Vali2).
Well, after persevering with them and desperately wanting to like them after the long wait to get them...I'm gonna have to let them go. The headphones themselves would be great for those who get on with the sound signature. I would have sworn they were my perfect headphones from the reviews but my tastes have changed over the years. Expensive way to find out but such is the way with this hobby. Will stick them on ebay or the sale forum here over the weekend.
Hope the your sale's a success, eh.
8-9 weeks at present. 2-3 left for me!
Hope your delivery went through...
2 points:
the housing is more round as opposed to oval?
Okay, @Cruelhand Luke . As long as I know the Fostex is a robust platform, with an even more serious aftermarket modding industry, that's good enough for me.
In stock form they are underwhelming. The only thing I liked about mine stock was the mids had a very 'natural' sound...compared to all my other headphones the mids in stock form sounded more 'real' as opposed to listening to a recording. That's it.
You listen to the stock ones and think, "well, I see why everybody that ever touched a set of these tried to mod them somehow..."
10-4, eh.

Apr 20, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #537 of 1,323
Tube amps can actually power planars quite well provided one thing, they use output transformers. OTL tube amps on the other hand just dont generate the higher currents to power inefficient planars adequately. I've used the same Primaluna Prologue 4 I will be using with the Argons, to power Magnepan MMG Planar loudspeakers to impressively loud levels in a medium large room. Magnepans are notoriously hard to drive and present an average load of 4 ohms with loads in the lower frequencies in the 2 ohm range. If the Primaluna can drive these, it's not going to have any issues driving a planar headphone (or at least it shouldn't in theory). Noise may be an issue (I'll find out soon enough), but having the voltage and current to effectively drive a planar headphone should not be an issue. I'm looking forward to see how it pairs with the Argons. I'll keep y'all posted on the results.

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #538 of 1,323
I received the Argons yesterday. So far I'm really digging these. Fun yet detailed and smooth. I don't think I'm giving these the power they quite need at the moment. I'm currently powering with a Little Dot 1+ and Schiit Magni 2 Uber. While it does sound excellent and can get quite loud, you can tell it will open up greatly with more power. The speaker output to balanced XLR headphone adapter should be here by the end of the week. Can't wait to here these with more power, as they sound excellent already. Got to say I'm enjoying the comfort of these things as much as the sound . These came with the ZMF lambskin pads and a ZMF Pilot Pad in addition to the already excellent head strap. They feel like pillows on the head LOL! Well maybe not that soft but one gets the point. The hype is real on these phones!

Apr 23, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #539 of 1,323
Has anyone received their Argon from Modhouse recently? How long was the wait?

I emailed Ryan a couple days ago asking about what the lead time is looking like now since I'm beyond the currently advertised 8-9 weeks, but I don't know how long it usually takes him to respond.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #540 of 1,323
I usually takes a few days for him to respond. Mine was practically 9 weeks to the day

Remember he’s a one man show with help from his wife. If he gets a lot of orders he could get backed up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back