Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
Mar 25, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #497 of 1,323
Mainly with my hd58x jubilee and my k7xx. My planars sound like crap out of it. I haven’t tried my he4xx yet but I’ve read they work good out of it.

Mar 25, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #498 of 1,323
Mar 25, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #501 of 1,323
Y’know, I’m wondering how these compare to the Massdrop TH-X00. Anyone?

Argon Mk3 are technically better at everything other than subbass impact. Darker sounding headphone (moreso than an HD6XX), that is a less warm and slightly leaner sounding. Subbass impact goes to TH-X00 with zero doubts, but extension, detail, and speed go to Argon. Midbass punch goes to the Argon by a little bit. Mids are the closest they sound to each other, both somewhat recessed but overall full sounding. Treble has more forward and energetic and lively sound with the TH-X00, but the Argon has just as much detail and never fatigues. Imaging is about same for both, but Argon has a much larger sounding space compared to the more confined/intimate space of the TH-X00. Argon is my favorite planar (closed or open), and my modded TH-X00 Purplehearts my favorite closed/semi-closed dynamic.

Mar 27, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #502 of 1,323
I've been listening to Argon modded T-X0 and I'm surprise how much better these sound than stock, there's much better treble articulation with these, clearer sounding. It's an improvement from the original crappy sounding Massdrop X Fostex T-X0. It has a bit of a warm tonality with a bit of reverb. Treble doesn't get incisive. I really like the large lambskin ZMF pads, very comfy.

Edit: actually, after listening to some vocals with certain tracks, I notice some odd sibilant peak (but not really harsh, but sounds peaky compared to the other vocal frequencies), so certain vocal tracks gives off the impression that vocal frequencies are not all that balanced tonally, and mids doesn't sound as clear with certain tracks. I think the thick tonality can reduce coherency with certain tracks which sounds a bit congested, not sounding all that clear. So, it's a bit of a mix bag when it comes to how it sounds, some tracks the warm reverb works quite well, but there are tracks that can sound a bit congested due to the warmth.

Still, it's a much improvement from how it sounded stock.

I 100% agree with this...I hate EQing, but some of the tracks get all blurred together and the midrange and treble get mushed...and the sound is off. I need a EQ profile, if anyone has one, that can tame the bass and bring up the trebs a bit, bringing everything into balance.

Mar 27, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #503 of 1,323
I have an Argon modded TX-0 that I absolutely love. I do agree that it can be off in the mids and treble with certain songs which is why I purchased a Schiit Loki. It really helped tweak those songs that can be a little off in certain frequencies. It won't change a headphone dramatically, but it will help to tweak a really good headphone into a really great headphone. For people who think the low end is too much, it can take the edge off. For bassheads, it can take the Argons to a level of their liking.

A couple of weeks ago, the left channel of my Argons died. I contacted Ryan at ModHouse but he was both sick and overwhelmed. So I stumbled upon Triton Audio. I sent David Choy my Argons from Georgia to Washington on a Friday and received them back the next Friday repaired and also with a new 5 ft. copper Mogami cable with a 1/4" connector to use with my Emotiva BasX A-100 amp. I can't say enough good things about him and his service. I was devastated to lose my main headphones, but didn't have to lose much time with them thanks to Triton Audio. If anyone else is ever in this situation, please contact Triton Audio - you will not be disappointed.

Apr 2, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #505 of 1,323
'evening! I'll start reading the thread in the beginning... I'm in Toronto, Canada. When I contacted Modhouse, "Ryan" (owner?) promptly replied and outlined their return/shipping policy outside the USA. I already own 2 cans: a Sony MDR7510... for when I want to listen without pissing off the Missus. And a Senheisser HD650 clone (from Massdrop) for deep listening at my listening nook. I'd like a 3rd headphone! I'm looking for a planar-magnetic headphone. I heard about this company on a YouTube Review (Josh Valour). I want something a little different. I drive my cans with either sstate or tube amps. An Argon Mk3 might fit the bill!

Are users generally happy with their Argons? I was going to pick up a HiFiMan Sundara; however, their build-quality is still iffy (that's too bad).

I have a melon head (large, bald, and pointy). And I wear prescription eyeglasses. What's the clamping force like?

After ~2 years, are users experiencing stress cracks in the headband or electrical-shorts? (I had a PSB 4MU that was god-awful [warranty work unresolved issues]). I baby my gear -- and my headphones remain indoors & coiled away after use (to prevent house panthers' from chewing on cables).

Apr 2, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #506 of 1,323
'evening! I'll start reading the thread in the beginning... I'm in Toronto, Canada. When I contacted Modhouse, "Ryan" (owner?) promptly replied and outlined their return/shipping policy outside the USA. I already own 2 cans: a Sony MDR7510... for when I want to listen without pissing off the Missus. And a Senheisser HD650 clone (from Massdrop) for deep listening at my listening nook. I'd like a 3rd headphone! I'm looking for a planar-magnetic headphone. I heard about this company on a YouTube Review (Josh Valour). I want something a little different. I drive my cans with either sstate or tube amps. An Argon Mk3 might fit the bill!

Are users generally happy with their Argons? I was going to pick up a HiFiMan Sundara; however, their build-quality is still iffy (that's too bad).

I have a melon head (large, bald, and pointy). And I wear prescription eyeglasses. What's the clamping force like?

After ~2 years, are users experiencing stress cracks in the headband or electrical-shorts? (I had a PSB 4MU that was god-awful [warranty work unresolved issues]). I baby my gear -- and my headphones remain indoors & coiled away after use (to prevent house panthers' from chewing on cables).
Yes, generally users love their Argons...those that sell them off, it's not because the Argons are bad, it's just not for them.
I can't speak to the clamp personally...my head isn't terribly large, so I find them extremely comfortable, but others may differ.
as far as durability, they are workhorses. The design is tried and true and I haven't heard any stories of them having stress fractures or wiring issues. The Fostex headphones that the Argons are based off of are famously durable.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #507 of 1,323
Hey all...
Considering ordering a pair of Mk3s and wondering about power requirements...
Mainly, I use a DAP (Hiby R6 Pro) which outputs 245mW @ 32ohms from the 3.5 headphone jack, and 750mW @32ohms from the 4.4 balanced jack.

Will I be satisfied with these cans running this much power? Future use will also include an amp in a desk setup, but mostly I am looking for a mobile closed back in the $300-$400 range,
and the reviews and recommendations on these Argons from Modhouse are off the charts so I thought I'd give them a go.

Anyone with power specs/requirements... hit me up and let me know. Especially if you have any experience using these cans with a DAP.

Thanks in advance...

Apr 3, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #508 of 1,323
Hey all...
Considering ordering a pair of Mk3s and wondering about power requirements...
Mainly, I use a DAP (Hiby R6 Pro) which outputs 245mW @ 32ohms from the 3.5 headphone jack, and 750mW @32ohms from the 4.4 balanced jack.

Will I be satisfied with these cans running this much power? Future use will also include an amp in a desk setup, but mostly I am looking for a mobile closed back in the $300-$400 range,
and the reviews and recommendations on these Argons from Modhouse are off the charts so I thought I'd give them a go.

Anyone with power specs/requirements... hit me up and let me know. Especially if you have any experience using these cans with a DAP.

Thanks in advance...

Using my JDS Labs Atom I was getting excellent sound at the desktop. I upgraded my power (double or so) and do not feel like the return on investment is very noticeable. Others report more power opens the soundstage. I would not recommend these for portable purposes. The pads are huge and the set doesn't do portable things. They sound just okay with my Shanling M3s but I did not run them balanced. They're slightly better off of my Fiio A5.

Maybe consider a used Campfire Audio Cascade or Oppo PM-3 in thst price range if you want a well built, highly recommended "more" portable can. But YMMV so take my opinions with a grain of salt, consider your needs, and try some things out if you can.

Ultimately, for desktop purposes, I love and recommend Argons.

Apr 3, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #509 of 1,323
The pads are huge and the set doesn't do portable things.

Can you tell me what you mean when you say the set doesn't do portable things? I guess I should clarify that I mostly want to "take them with me" more than I want to "wear them out and around town"...

Maybe consider a used Campfire Audio Cascade...

$1200 would buy me an insane amount of nice cans lol. Even used prices are too rich for my blood. Afraid those won't work for me.

Apr 3, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #510 of 1,323
Taking them with you would make more sense. If you're going to use them at the desk then they'll fit the bill. They're still not extremely convenient for compact transportation. The pads are large (etc) and they do not fold or become much more compact than when you're wearing them. However, they are sturdy and resilient.

Used Cascades go for around $450-$650 if you're patient. Just over your price range and stretching the budget for sure but possibly a better solution for power and overall portability. If you like neutral or don't mind using EQ the Oppo is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back