Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
Mar 12, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #467 of 1,323
can these be considered great for bass? I'm an audiophile that loves big bass

They don't have the low end impact or presence of a Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart, but then pretty much hardly anything else does. They do have better extension, detail, and speed in the low end, with a little better midbass punch than the TH-X00 though. And for a planar, they are surprisingly lively sounding even if a dark headphone, not the typical flat sounding planar.

If you want MASSIVE subbass with a sweet, HUGE presence of bass that somehow actually doesn't overpower the mids or treble, and is warm, lively, intimate, and full of treble energy but at the overall cost of some detail and speed compared to a planar, the TH-X00PH with a few simple mods are it. If you want a tighter, more closer to neutral subbass that extends well with a sound that is less warm but still full-bodied, fairly large/wide sounding (but not unnaturally so), with smoother/more recessed highs and planar technicalities, the Argon Mk3 is a great choice.

Both are absolutely great for subbass/midbass, but they are noticeably different in their approaches.
TH-X00 Purpleheart is subbass focused while the Argon Mk3 is more midbass focused.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #468 of 1,323
I keep waiting for the tha aaa 789 but its never available when the money is.
I can always just have a dedicated amp for the planars.

Might have to fork over for a darkvoice and an emotiva. Hopefully i can get in on the massdrop darkvoice.

I have the Argons and will have the Darkvoice when that bad boy ships. I can update you when that happens but it might be a while lol

Mar 13, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #469 of 1,323
From what I understand it’s not good to run planars off tube amps. I’m sad I’m missing out on the drop. I don’t get paid till Thursday. Drop ends at midnight.

I worked a butt load of ot to get a new amp. On top of that the emotiva went up in price.

Mar 13, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #470 of 1,323
If you’re looking for a relatively affordable amp to power your Argons, I can recommend the iFi iCan SE. It has enough clean power for almost any headphones.

I also have the Emotiva A-100, and I’ll admit I think it’s the better choice if you don’t mind the size. I find my iCan gets very little use when I’m at home and both amps are in front of me. The benefit of the iCan is that it can be easily moved from room to room or taken with you to work or when you travel. The Emotiva on the other hand is relatively permanent wherever you put it.

Mar 14, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #471 of 1,323
Do they still make those,I was looking for one and figured they were out of production

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #473 of 1,323
If you’re looking for a relatively affordable amp to power your Argons, I can recommend the iFi iCan SE. It has enough clean power for almost any headphones.

I also have the Emotiva A-100, and I’ll admit I think it’s the better choice if you don’t mind the size. I find my iCan gets very little use when I’m at home and both amps are in front of me. The benefit of the iCan is that it can be easily moved from room to room or taken with you to work or when you travel. The Emotiva on the other hand is relatively permanent wherever you put it.
Have you tried to power speakers with the emotiva?

Mar 14, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #474 of 1,323
No, I haven’t yet. I don’t have dedicated bookshelf speakers for music. I just have a 5.1 Polk surround sound setup, and it seems pointless to connect the Emotiva to any of those speakers.

Mar 15, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #475 of 1,323
No, I haven’t yet. I don’t have dedicated bookshelf speakers for music. I just have a 5.1 Polk surround sound setup, and it seems pointless to connect the Emotiva to any of those speakers.
ok cool. I'm considering emotiva as my new amp for new setup. Either this or Onkyo micro hifi, which obviosly has some extra features. Decisions decisions.

Mar 15, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #476 of 1,323
Was able to get both the Darkvoice and the emotiva for under $400. Both should be here next week. Only thing I need now is a THX AAA 789

Mar 22, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #478 of 1,323
Hello All,

I just ordered my Agron mk3s and from reading the reviews and comments I couldn't be more excited. I am going to use it for gaming - Xbox and PC, movies, and day to day music listening.

I'm looking for a portable amp so I can walk around while using my xbox controller $100-$200 that can power these suckers. I know of the cayin C5 and the IFI micro idsd but the latter is a little out for my price range. Ive heard of small scale amps like headstage and ray samuels but am pretty new to the audiophile world. All suggestions are welcome..

Let the 9 week wait begin...

Mar 22, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #480 of 1,323
Hello All,

I just ordered my Agron mk3s and from reading the reviews and comments I couldn't be more excited. I am going to use it for gaming - Xbox and PC, movies, and day to day music listening.

I'm looking for a portable amp so I can walk around while using my xbox controller $100-$200 that can power these suckers. I know of the cayin C5 and the IFI micro idsd but the latter is a little out for my price range. Ive heard of small scale amps like headstage and ray samuels but am pretty new to the audiophile world. All suggestions are welcome..

Let the 9 week wait begin...
My Fiio A5 does a decent job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back