Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
Apr 24, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #541 of 1,323
Has anyone received their Argon from Modhouse recently? How long was the wait?

I emailed Ryan a couple days ago asking about what the lead time is looking like now since I'm beyond the currently advertised 8-9 weeks, but I don't know how long it usually takes him to respond.

I usually takes a few days for him to respond. Mine was practically 9 weeks to the day

Remember he’s a one man show with help from his wife. If he gets a lot of orders he could get backed up.

A 1-man operation!? Damn. I can attest to his email response time. He responded to ALL my questions... eventually. I'm close to putting in my own order. :)

Apr 24, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #542 of 1,323
Not only is it a one man show, it's my understanding that he has a regular full time job and does Argons in his free time....the point being have patience, it's not an issue of poor customer service, it's a case of a one legged man doing his best in an a$$ kicking contest. :wink:

Apr 24, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #543 of 1,323
And man does he Kick A$$

Apr 25, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #544 of 1,323
A 1-man operation!? Damn. I can attest to his email response time. He responded to ALL my questions... eventually. I'm close to putting in my own order. :)
For me, I received mine in about 7 weeks. Sent my cans in around first week of February and got them in mid-March.

Apr 25, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #545 of 1,323
Not only is it a one man show, it's my understanding that he has a regular full time job and does Argons in his free time....the point being have patience, it's not an issue of poor customer service, it's a case of a one legged man doing his best in an a$$ kicking contest. :wink:
These are facts... When Ryan or his wife contacted me, I was mindful pour heaps of thanks and encouragement their way for doing this. I've heard many stories of the difficulties Ryan and his fam has had in getting orders fulfilled, fighting thru sicknesses and being generally overwhelmed at times with the huge popularity of his handiwork.

Apr 25, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #546 of 1,323
And man does he Kick A$$

For me, I received mine in about 7 weeks. Sent my cans in around first week of February and got them in mid-March.

If I want one of his tricked-out cans, I'll need to modify my expectations. Because of the extra duties & mark-up, it'll be cheaper for me to buy the entire set directly from ModHouse (hell, Fostex only seems to sell out of a Quebec distributor [based on a casual search on my part]). These really will be a 'want' purchase, as I have plenty of amplification, tone control, DAC, and two workhorse-headphones... everything that I need. :ksc75smile:

Apr 26, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #547 of 1,323
IMG_20190424_185216.jpg IMG_20190424_185214.jpg IMG_20190425_133032.jpg IMG_20190424_185252.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #548 of 1,323
Oh wow! Those are beautiful! Are those an option form Modhouse or is this something you performed yourself with the wood cups, headband, etc.?

Apr 26, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #550 of 1,323
Thanks for the clarification. Me too! Damn it! Here we go through the rabbit hole again.........Lol!

Apr 26, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #551 of 1,323
They’re actually Vibrolabs Maple cups, and a standard T50rp mk3 that I built in about an hour. The preview pack is pretty much all you need, add on cables, connectors, (tuning supplies if you need to) and little bit of care when putting them together. Oh, I almost forgot a pair of Brainwavz xl pads.

https://www.vibrolabs.com/fostex-cups/maple

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #552 of 1,323
20190426_210742.jpg

Apr 26, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #553 of 1,323
Using the above setup to power the Argons at home. Will be using a Lyr 2 at work when it arrives. I just got a Dyson Audio speaker to balanced XLR headphone adaptor in today to use a Primaluna Prologue 4 to power the Argons and just set up a tentative setup to try it out. I'm streaming Tidal MQA files using an LGV35 with quad dac feeding a Liquid Spark as a master volume control into the Primaluna. The Primaluna is using Tung Sol KT-120 power tubes with RCA 5751 TM BPs and CBS-Hytron 5814s as signal tubes. The combo is stunning! I'm going to also be using a MHDT NOS tube dac with this setup, but just quickly set this up to test and only had two power outlets avaible at this location. The thing that is really surprising is how quiet this setup is! Very, very little hiss and noise is apparent even between tracks with the master volume at loud levels. The Argons are absolutely singing. Can't wait to get the MHDT in the loop!

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #554 of 1,323
Fantastic, I'll wait for your thoughts. Or I will get drunk and decide, why f.. not buy another amp :D

Update on the obscure chinese amp: The amp never shipped, however I got a full refund. Disappointing.. I was excited at the hardware and the price. Interested if you decided to buy it as well. I bought from lusya technology store while it was on sale for $78. It is currently listed by them for $110 and they have a 98% approval rate so not sure what went wrong. It is also listed by saomai audio which is the original maker of the device for $160.

Decided to go with something more reliable and bought the monoprice THX AAA portable from a member on here.

Apr 29, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #555 of 1,323
Finally got my Argons today. Honestly I was expecting the mids and highs to sound worse than they do. So far so good!

I'm powering them from my Burson Fun with V6 Vivid Op Amps and I really don't have to turn the volume up much further than I do for my HD6XX (if at all). Not sure how much of their potential I'm getting, but they definitely sound "fun".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back