Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
Jan 8, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #361 of 1,323
In case it helps anyone, before ordering a set of T50RP’s to send off for the Argon treatment I inquired with Ryan at Mod House about the differences between the MK2 and MK3 after mods are completed. He told me that the Argon MK2 has a little more treble than the the Argon MK3. He said the treble on the MK3 is a little smoother and that the MK3 is more sensitive to pad swapping. To him personally, he prefers Lambskin pads on the MK2 and Proteins on the MK3.

I found a great deal on a set of used Massdrop T-X0’s (technically MK2’s), and I actually prefer their blacked-out look to the orange-accented MK3, so I opted for Lambskins and really like the combination.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #362 of 1,323
I think I'm slowly falling in love with them. The bass boom is so addictive :)

I might need a better DAC though, I keep wandering if a better DAC would not improve the sound even more.

@docentore I have connected Argons to X6 and while its got enough power to drive them, the bass is lacking comparing to the Emotiva A-100. However, the mids and highs are crispier (maybe even too crisp). It's not a bad combo though, there is a still plenty of bass, just not as boomy and deep as with A-100 (I have jumpers installed). Mind you, this is only after about 15 min of listening on X6. It's not a scientific comparison :wink:

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #363 of 1,323
I think I'm slowly falling in love with them. The bass boom is so addictive :)

I might need a better DAC though, I keep wandering if a better DAC would not improve the sound even more.

@docentore I have connected Argons to X6 and while its got enough power to drive them, the bass is lacking comparing to the Emotiva A-100. However, the mids and highs are crispier (maybe even too crisp). It's not a bad combo though, there is a still plenty of bass, just not as boomy and deep as with A-100 (I have jumpers installed). Mind you, this is only after about 15 min of listening on X6. It's not a scientific comparison :wink:

Thanks, that is enough proof to convince me :D Altough I have ordered parts to build Pmillet NuHybrid amp - we will see how it sound. Still need to get speaker amp so I might end up with Emotiva and NuHybrid :wink:
On the DAC field - I'm sorted, just obtained Chord Mojo for €250.

Still waiting for my Argon's. Today got update that they are held in Custom office. getting closer.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #364 of 1,323
Thanks, that is enough proof to convince me :D Altough I have ordered parts to build Pmillet NuHybrid amp - we will see how it sound. Still need to get speaker amp so I might end up with Emotiva and NuHybrid :wink:
On the DAC field - I'm sorted, just obtained Chord Mojo for €250.

Still waiting for my Argon's. Today got update that they are held in Custom office. getting closer.
Yes, mine were held up at customs too, but as soon as I paid the fee I was able to collect.

I will be hunting for a better DAC, I think, and will probably sell the X6. I'm not sure if there will be any difference in SQ, but I need to know :)

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #365 of 1,323
What would you guys suggest as a budget amp for the argons. My O2 isnt gonna cut it. After Christmas and all (4 kids) Im extremely budgeted. I want the Emotiva but thats out of my range for now.

Jan 9, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #366 of 1,323
The current budget kings are the JDS Labs Atom and Monoprice Liquid Spark. I think either can power the Argons. I’ve never used either, but both are highly regarded at the $100 price point.

I have a iFi iCan SE that is capable of 4w, but I only use the middle gain (+12dB) setting with my Argon MK2’s. At this gain level I only get to about 12:00-1:00 on the volume knob before it gets too loud for me to listen to comfortably.

Using my A-100 amp with jumpers installed and the full power of the speaker amplifier on tap, I can only get to about 9:00-10:00 on the volume dial.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #367 of 1,323
The current budget kings are the JDS Labs Atom and Monoprice Liquid Spark. I think either can power the Argons. I’ve never used either, but both are highly regarded at the $100 price point.

I have a iFi iCan SE that is capable of 4w, but I only use the middle gain (+12dB) setting with my Argon MK2’s. At this gain level I only get to about 12:00-1:00 on the volume knob before it gets too loud for me to listen to comfortably.

Using my A-100 amp with jumpers installed and the full power of the speaker amplifier on tap, I can only get to about 9:00-10:00 on the volume dial.

I have a question:

When you say 9-10 oclock on the volume dial, does 0% volume start at 12 oclock and 100%/max volume end after 1 full rotation? Also, is the volume dial on a logarithmic scale or is it linear? Thank you very much!

Jan 10, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #368 of 1,323
Most volume knobs, and specifically the ones on my two amps, start at the bottom at about 6:30. I don’t believe volume pots are linear. I don’t know enough to go into much detail, but it’s not like volume is 0-100 with 100 linear 1:1 increments or steps.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #371 of 1,323
Has anyone listened to both the Argon MK3 and ZMF Classics and is able to provide a comparison?
As others have said, the Mad Dog was a modded Fostex T50RP. Two excellent modded T50RPs can be had for $300: the ZMF Classic and the Argon Mk3. I've recently owned and compared both (didn't get to do any A/B comparisons though, gave away the Argon about a week before I received the ZMF Classic, I still have the Classic however). I have never heard the Mad Dog though so I cannot make any comparisons, but the ZMF Classic and Argon Mk3 are both the darkest sounding headphones I've heard (not counting garbage cheapo headphones with basically no treble at all). Treble is really subdued on both, but clean unlike the stock T50RP's sloppiness (and extends to 18 KHz on both). Mids are nice and flat and thick, not one mid range frequency stands out over another, both can do all vocals well. Bass goes super deep, well below 20 Hz, heavy quantity and good quality on both. Both have above average sound stage width for a closed headphone.

The Argon Mk3 has quite a bit more bass quantity than the ZMF Classic, which is already bass heavy. But the mids are not drowned out on either. That's the only difference I can hear between them. The Argon Mk3 will be too bassy for some, but should please bassheads on the other hand.
I happened to come across this comparison yesterday, so I thought I'd help you out.

Jan 10, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #373 of 1,323
I’ve never had the chance to try the Atom. Everything I’ve read says the Argons open up with more powerful amps such as my A-100. My only other amp is the iFi iCAN SE, which is a quite powerful Class A amp, and it also seems fully capable of driving the Argons. My guess is you’ll be fine with the Atom.

Jan 11, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #375 of 1,323
Feed the Argons and A-100 a good source and it's like having a pair of speakers attached to the head :heart:

RZyv9YO.jpg

PS. that's not me BTW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back