Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
Sep 15, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #166 of 1,326
Does anyone know what type of screw driver I need to take off the T-XO headphone strap off?

EDIT: I also just swapped out the lambskin pads for the T-XO pads and I'm pleasantly surprised by the change in sound signature.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #168 of 1,326
I just received my shipping notice. Very excited! Ordered June 25 [lead time listed as 9 weeks], shipped September 16 [Close to 12 weeks].

Sep 17, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #170 of 1,326
What kind of change are you hearing and what pads do the T-XO use?

It seems to me that they are a leather/velour pad with memory foam .. very nice actually. I find that they fit more securely on my head than with the ZMF Lambskin pads.

In terms of sound-signature I'd say that there is more clarity, brighter and more refined highs, a decent mid-bass punch, a loss of sub-bass presence as well and the sound-stage narrows.

Sep 19, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #172 of 1,326
my Argons have shipped. I will have some Fostex TR 90 on Friday, and then in another week or so the Dekoni Blue (on loan.) I have all kinds of fun headphone snizz in my future.
I have to say, Ryan and Katie at Modhouse have been awesome. I had inquired a long time back about modding some earlier T20 (the V2 ones, with a round driver) my intent at the time was to have my old Fostex Argon'd in time to compare them to the Dekoni Blue ...there was a slight delay in the response, but on the word of members here in this thread, I took a small leap of faith and pulled the trigger on them. I got in touch with Modhouse again and said they were on the way...they got back to me quickly, said they would honor my original timeline, since I had been in touch with them. We discussed the sound signature capabilities of my older Fostex (Ryan is clearly knowledgeable about headphones, it seems as if my particular version will tilt a little brighter, have a bit more treble energy, which I am fine with, I prefer brighter sound signatures, I'm an old punk, with iffy ears).
In the time between when I first contacted them and now, Argons have gotten super hot, they clearly have a lot of orders, and wait times have stretched and stretched. I touched base with them and asked how we were looking in terms of when I could realistically expect my Argon...to be frank, I was willing to accept a week delay, which would have been fine in terms of when I had Argons to compare to Dekonis....instead they got back to me and said basically, 'get ready, we're about to ship them'.
Fantastic! Man, when do things ever work out like that? I live in an awesome little beach town, but the trade off is, there is NOWHERE to check out headphones, but by next month I'm going to have my weird one-off T20 V2 Argons, Dekoni Blues and some new TR90s to check out...(plus my fidelios and modded 9500s and mdr7506, etc for comparison)

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #173 of 1,326
Really digging these so far. Nice detail, huge soundstage and BUMPIN' bass. They sound real nice with the Modi Multibit I just got.

Sep 22, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #174 of 1,326
The only issue I have with these headphone so far is the loose fit.
I'm hoping the deer-skin strap will alleviate this a bit.

I just prefer a more secure fit on my head.

Sep 22, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #175 of 1,326
Sorry for the double post!

Does anyone have frequency response charts for pad rolling?

Sep 23, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #177 of 1,326
Before I had heard the Argons someone described the sound as like being in a huge cave, and I remember thinking that seemed like a criticism, not praise.
But....they sound like the Opposite Land version of the Hollywood Bowl.... the Hollywood Bowl if it were a massive underground cavern, with a little reverb, and bass coloring the sound just slightly... wide and unconfined, every note and sound has all the space it needs... but 'open and airy' is not how I would describe it either.

Sep 23, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #178 of 1,326
With the protein pads I find the soundstage is oddly shaped, sort of like listening through two paper towel tubes. Switching to fenestrated pads helped greatly, although lately I've been happy with the protein pads b/c I'm mostly using the Argons with a Phatlab Phantasy, which does its own odd thing to soundstage.

Sep 24, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #179 of 1,326
Got myself an Argon MK3 recently thanks to another head-fier. I have an old Markl modded D5000, Stax L300LE and 58X with the diy heaven mod.

I love them all and my D5000 was up until a few months ago, my only deaktop pair. The Argons beat them for me.

Not in bass quality, but in the balance. The quality of the D5000 (and probably the other fostex biodynamics) bass is extremely tight and controlled. But the Markl D5000s are extremely V shaped. Maybe the Mark Lawton mods exagerrate this, but going back and forth, I just get blasted by the harshness of the treble. The Argons treble on the other hand seem smooth and balanced with the proteins (Lambskins tilted them to the too warm side for me).

The biggest advantage for me though, is the verticality of these. I game a lot and these headphones are able to pinpoint position horizontally in a huge soundstage. But they also have an ability to differentiate footsteps above and below freakishly well.

Nuke in CSGO, a map notorious for its vertically stacked design, can be problematic where footsteps sound similar regardless of if someone is above, below, or level with you. These differentiate them brilliantly by somehow enhancing the bass and reverb effects.

Cant wait to play around with these more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back