Modding the Sennheiser pc350 headset
Oct 28, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #301 of 508

Quote:
Yeah I realised the modd is not for 450's after I submitted reply. Can anybody recommend headphones for home use, Idealy types block noise, but not active noise cancelling, my current headphones are PXC450, earpads are worn out, I would rather buy new headphone than repair them. the main purpose of use will be listening music at home,watching movies/tv,and playing ps3 game(I dont require HP with mic), audio quality is most important to me with good bass if possible,
My budget is £500 max.
Last year I had brief listen of HD650 and they were amazingly clear audio, but I not sure if they blockout background noise as i live with my family who make alot of noise.
my current pxc 450 do a good enough noise blocking without activating the noise gaurd.
thank you all.
Diria

I could pretty much blindly recommend these PC350, but I'm not real hi-fi-ear and never listened to anything better than these. Most of my listening experience is based on cheap (under 100€) phones.
But there are lot of people on this thread that I think knows the stuff and uses these headphones, so these should be at least some quality. Some people say that mids are bit muffled, I can't really notice and you can probably fix that with right amount of dampening.

I still think that to your budget, there are better solutions and this solution needs to do the mod that will lose your warranty.

Nov 2, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #303 of 508
Do anyone know how to put this clip back on? i've tried forcing it and turning it in different directions and pushing it into place but to no avail
frown.gif
:

please help. thank you very much
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 5, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #304 of 508
Just popping in to thank everyone involved.  I play a lot of games and don't want to bother with clipon mics, and while there are a ton of great headphones there aren't many great HEADSETS (especially ones that aren't USB).  This mod ensures that my non-gaming Muse and Journey listening sound perfect.

Thanks!

PS don't bother with drilling.  I just grabbed some 1/16" wire from the basement, threw it over a candle, and popped a couple holes.  Easy peasy and no mess.

Nov 7, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #306 of 508

Quote:
spaceape Just open the outer can and you will be able to put it back from inside quite easily.

do you mean the black plastic cover at the edges of the cans? it's all one solid peace so i don't see how this would work. please elaborate do i need to take of some of the skrews?

edit: found the culprit i think. it were a little piece of plastic that were in the way of me pushing the clip back into place. i took a knife and yanked it out
smily_headphones1.gif
lol so easy 
redface.gif
and here
i were about to throw it out 
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #307 of 508
Got HD555/595 and PXC450 earpads today.

PXC pad were a bit tight fit, always some of the sides weren't in place, but now I think I've got them fully installed. I have to say, I didn't think that comfortability would be this much better, a bit softer cushions so that the frame of my glasses won't start hurting my head on long periods of use.
These are even more closed than originals and I had to change some eq settings to balance sound to my likings. Theres more bass and more middle, but loses some high, at least to my ear, with EQ I got that fixed.

When using HD555 pads I really recommend putting more holes or something. With my setup, just changing pads made SQ go almost to vanilla PC350 (or at least as I remember it). There is still some bass, but you need more volume to bring it up. Fiddling with EQ gave some improvement, but still best is to make few more holes, I'm not going to do that though. The only reason I needed HD555 pads is for when I'm playing with my friend sitting next to me and I need to hear what he's saying without using any communication software 
smily_headphones1.gif

At least I got what I was looking for with PXC450, more comfortability without losing any sound quality.

For anyone trying to install PXC450 pads, it's really tight and you have to use a bit different technique. With original and 555 pads you can just use thumb to put it in place, but with PXC you need put one side in place and then circle around always keeping sure none of the already placed sides pop out. Eventually you will get it, just try, try, try and try again. (thats what I did because I refused to believe they wouldn't fit)

Dec 7, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #308 of 508
I have an interesting problem with these headphones:

I have a similar problem with the headphones and that dirt and/or debris get into the volume controller. The audio quality is very poor when I am, for example, playing a FPS and voice chatting at the same time in XBL. Typically, when I game it sounds decent for the most part, but when people chat in my party, it lowers the volume of the game when they talk. I tried cleaning it with compressed air like a lot of other people, but for me it didn't work. I purchased it on ebay, so I don't have a warranty with it. 

My idea is this, removing the volume/mic mute button entirely and soldering the cable together. Do y'all think it would work? Thanks for all input!

Dec 8, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #309 of 508
I registered because of this mod...  and I was floored with the difference it made.  I drilled two holes in the side as per Porter's version along with some cotton for dampening, and it's like I have a whole new headset!  :D

I also got the HD 595 pads from Sennheiser, and they are definitely a lot more comfortable and fit on the headphones perfectly.  If anyone wants the wax guards(?) that came with the pads, they're yours for shipping costs as I have no use for them.

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #310 of 508
Hey guys!

While I may have not joined entirely because of this thread, it is definitely the biggest reason! I was very upset when I finished the last page! Reading through this has been very interesting, and I have some 350s on the way as we speak.

Would just like to thank everyone who has added any input to the thread, and obviously major props to hero for the spark that started it all!

I was looking to spend no more than about £60 on a gaming headset. but that quickly went up to £70, then £80, and so on, and now I am getting some PC350s. I definitely do not consider myself an audiophile (hell, been using a £15 set of 2.1 speakers forever), but I can't imagine how much better these headphones could be. I'm expecting to fall head first in to audiophilia if this headset turns out to be as good as I hope, but my wallet is seriously hoping the opposite!

tl;dr - AWESOME THREAD

Dec 27, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #312 of 508
Good Afternoon, I'm a proud owner of the PC350 for a year now, but I'm feeling the need for my bass, I've managed to survive without until now by sheer will power.
But I have a problem with this, I have no idea how to open my Headset. I just want to do 1 small hole in each because I noticed everyone needs to reduce the bass after doing 2-3 holes. 
So, is there a tutorial somewhere? Or a guide with visual documentation on how to do it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back