Modding the Sennheiser pc350 headset
Nov 10, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #91 of 508
hi, can you guys please help me with a 'walkthrough' on disassembling the pc-350? i've only seen those small screws on the outside, but upon unscrewing 2 of them i still didnt find a way to get further. i am afraid to force /break something on the parts of the headphones, so please tell me which is the way to go (ive seen the photos and thanks for those, but they only start when the headset its already disassembled.
thanks.
oh, and an additional question: what if, instead of drilling holes in that plastic material, i would use a needle made very hot in fire(the other part of the needle i would pierce it in a cork, to be able to hold it)? i would probably only need to push a little bit, and there you go, the hole is done - not to mention there will be no more scrambles of plastic to go inside through the hole. problem is, might the extreme warmth from the needle degrade some sensible components on the other side? or aren't there any?
thanks again, i really need to try this modding, as i really dont like at all the weak bass (and trebble, for that matter) of pc-350, which ive only bought some days ago...

Nov 14, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #92 of 508
I got mine last week and I have to say they do sound very shallow/bass-less. I guss Sennheiser designed them like that expecting the plastic cushions to insulate well since pressing the cans against my head makes them sound pretty good but just wearing them without applying extra pressure makes them sound very cheap! I think their design is a bit flawed yes.

I'll get to the mod the second somebody answers alecsus27 on how to disassemble them properly.

I also just ordered me some velour pads for the 595/555 because I absolutely dislike the plastic pads compared to my HD600. Since they don't properly seal for the bass anyway I'm very confident I still get a better response with velour pads + Mod than out of the box. As for the pads, how do you take them off, just pull?

Nov 14, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #94 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by goebish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pull them from the inside.

ok, did that, but they do look oval whereas the ones I ordered (for 595/555) have a notch (see image below). I guess they still fit since nothing is in the way of that noth on the pc350 and many already did use those?!

595 pads i ordered (20€)
Sennheiser_Ohrpolster_HD555_HD595_HD_555_595_%2394738_bei_eBay.de__%28endet_16.11.09_13_17_00_MEZ%29-20091114-153542.jpg

Nov 14, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #95 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by alecsus27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi, can you guys please help me with a 'walkthrough' on disassembling the pc-350? i've only seen those small screws on the outside, but upon unscrewing 2 of them i still didnt find a way to get further. i am afraid to force /break something on the parts of the headphones, so please tell me which is the way to go (ive seen the photos and thanks for those, but they only start when the headset its already disassembled.
thanks.
oh, and an additional question: what if, instead of drilling holes in that plastic material, i would use a needle made very hot in fire(the other part of the needle i would pierce it in a cork, to be able to hold it)? i would probably only need to push a little bit, and there you go, the hole is done - not to mention there will be no more scrambles of plastic to go inside through the hole. problem is, might the extreme warmth from the needle degrade some sensible components on the other side? or aren't there any?
thanks again, i really need to try this modding, as i really dont like at all the weak bass (and trebble, for that matter) of pc-350, which ive only bought some days ago...

In order to disassemble you need to pull the pads off of the earcups, pull firmly. You then should see an array of screws securing the driver, unscrew all of those and that piece should come off easily, be careful, the one on the side of the boom has a few wires connected to it. If it is not coming off easily, there is a small hidden screw on the bottom of the EAR filter/driver where you'll see some foam tape, remove that and you should be set. You now have access to the driver.

Quote:

ok, did that, but they do look oval whereas the ones I ordered (for 595/555) have a notch (see image below). I guess they still fit since nothing is in the way of that noth on the pc350 and many already did use those?!

Not quite sure what you mean by this, but yes the HD 595/555 pads fit in the PC 350. They will fit a little looser than the stock pads, but they work. The included replacement filter with the pads won't work on the PC 350.

Nov 21, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #96 of 508
I did the mod to great effect with only three 1/8" holes practically right next to each other.

One concern i do have at the moment is even though there is tons more bass with only three holes in it the bass tends to be quite muddy and long. It continues over where it shouldn't if that makes sense.

Perhaps i need a few more holes but it still sounds a lot better than stock.

Nov 21, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #98 of 508
I would add more. As for positioning i couldn't tell you. I have placed all three of my holes a couple of mill apart at the top and in the centre. Seems to work fine for now.

I'm going to try another 2 holes in each cup but further a field. You can always tape em if its too much.

Nov 21, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #99 of 508
Dampening material is the best way to solve overextended/muddy bass. Add some cotton balls to the inside of the cup (adjust the amount to how they sound) and you should be good to go. I would think if you added more holes it would increase the amount of bass, not decrease it.

Nov 25, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #100 of 508
Hi! Anyone help me please to understand some things with my pc350, the headset is close and it's not really suites me i feel like pressure on my ears, also when it's on my head and if i touch the headset anywhere is like touching the mic and hear it inside, so what i'm looking for is to buy hd595 earpads to make it not that close and more comfortable, i know it will lose bass, but anyway i'm looking forward to drill some holes as well, so if i make some holes and buy hd595 airpads will i lose the sound qulity or it will be even better, i mean i know i'll get more bass if drill the holes, how about treble mids? will i lose qulity if i put hd595 pads or it will stay the same if i drill some holes, same in FPS games, for positioning this is one of the best headsets, but will i still hear the things after putting them hd595 earpads and drilling them holes? Also the wire between the vol control and headset is like a mic, i can't explain it properly, sorry for my english, but whart ever i touch it i hear it in left cup, any solution for that? Thank's!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #101 of 508
Is it important not to have the holes blocked by soundproofing material or wool to get the extra bass? cus i just did the mod (11 holes)
proofed it with a whole lot of soundproofing and also wool..i can't really hear a big difference. Although i do use an onboard soundcard
maybe it will get a little better with an x-fi xtreme music or something?

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #102 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by d$^ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi! Anyone help me please to understand some things with my pc350, the headset is close and it's not really suites me i feel like pressure on my ears, also when it's on my head and if i touch the headset anywhere is like touching the mic and hear it inside, so what i'm looking for is to buy hd595 earpads to make it not that close and more comfortable, i know it will lose bass, but anyway i'm looking forward to drill some holes as well, so if i make some holes and buy hd595 airpads will i lose the sound qulity or it will be even better, i mean i know i'll get more bass if drill the holes, how about treble mids? will i lose qulity if i put hd595 pads or it will stay the same if i drill some holes, same in FPS games, for positioning this is one of the best headsets, but will i still hear the things after putting them hd595 earpads and drilling them holes? Also the wire between the vol control and headset is like a mic, i can't explain it properly, sorry for my english, but whart ever i touch it i hear it in left cup, any solution for that? Thank's!
smily_headphones1.gif

Hello, to make the headset feel more "open", the earpads from the HD 595/555 are big help, you will lose a lot of isolation by doing this however, but gain more in comfort & openness.

The touching of the wire causes noise in the headphones, this is called mechanical noise-coupling. It happens because the wires are meant to be lightweight and thus they're not heavily insulated with teflon or braided on the outside. You'll just have to live with the noise, try positioning the headset and its wire so that it doesn't meet with objects that cause a lot of friction.

Cheers

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #103 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceape /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it important not to have the holes blocked by soundproofing material or wool to get the extra bass? cus i just did the mod (11 holes)
proofed it with a whole lot of soundproofing and also wool..i can't really hear a big difference. Although i do use an onboard soundcard
maybe it will get a little better with an x-fi xtreme music or something?

An important part of this mod is the try out different setups with the holes/soundproofing/earpads. If you drilled that many holes and don't notice a difference, it is most certainly due to excessive soundproofing.

I for one didn't use any other material than wool, in the form of a few cotton balls inside the cup, I adjusted the amount for my preference and I'm still very happy with the right amount of bass and control.

Your onboard soundcard perhaps isn't able to drive the headset properly, and thus you aren't getting that much bass out from them. I drive these with M-Audio Audiophile -> Meier-Audio CORDA OPERA-analog, so I'm getting a nice amount of juice into them. I would recommend moderate amplification, source-components such as PC soundcards just don't bring that much power with them. These are the HD 595 drivers in the PC 350 after all.

Nov 30, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #104 of 508
Thanx a lot for your help Jaawa
smily_headphones1.gif
I just removed all of the wool in the cup and rearanged the soundproofing material to make a better fit.
I also isolated around the edges a little bit of wool to fill the gaps. Im quite happy with the result so far..hehe no need to make it sound cheap either..to much bass can do that
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes I definently need a better soundcard. my rampage should come soon so I can resume my watercooling endevours (again
frown.gif
). It has the supremexf 2 I guess that's better than my current realtek onboard.

Right now im buying a lot of surround sound equipment for my living room but next month i think i'll get the asus xonar d1 or better. that will surely help out a little
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #105 of 508
I'm waiting on a set of these, I'll most definitely do a lot of tweaking. I have both 650's and 800s to compare to, as well as the PC-166s, which are a fine pair of headphones. Being stuck in a loud barracks (full of idiotic AIT students), I am looking forward to the sound isolation. I intend to experiment with both driving them from the PC-166's USB key and also from my Total Bithead. We'll see how it all goes, but i have to wait for Christmas Exodus for any of this fun to begin. I'll keep you posted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back