Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Jan 4, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #1,021 of 3,179
This thread truly has it all, people doing maths to try and determine if they're going to blow their ears (or drivers) out by hooking up a speaker amp to a headphones, arguing about graphs and rigs, people asking the same questions instead of searching the thread, I just need someone to start arguing about chi-fi or whether DAC's make any sonic differences and I'll complete my audiophile bingo square :beyersmile:

But seriously though, can't wait for my SS Tungstens to arrive, placed my order in mid-november and given what's already been said about them vs the DS and my brief time demoing them they seem like they'll be more to my tastes.
CDC noise and hearing damage chart.

Well, the main point is keeping the sound level below 85dB. Good Luck to all future fellow hearingaid users.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #1,022 of 3,179
Jan 5, 2024 at 12:50 AM Post #1,023 of 3,179
Ok, let's get this thread back on topic. :o2smile:

I just can't stop listening to the Tungsten! These things absolutely sing out of the Violectric HPA V550 Pro.

PXL_20240105_054710664.jpg

Jan 5, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #1,024 of 3,179
Is there someone who is not happy with his Tungsten (be it tonality, lack of good amping, whatever)? I would love to hear from some guys that have it for some time and have passed the honeymoon phase. I ask because no headphone does everything perfect for every person.
If someone in the EU wants to sell his model, you can also pm me :beyersmile:

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:50 AM Post #1,025 of 3,179
I think the Kinki Studio Vision THR-1 amp of Flux fa10/fa12 will do a good job driving them for not too much money. Furthermore a Ferrum Oor of a violectric V281 will drive it well as solid state amps for more money

Headphone Output
  • Output Voltage: ±70VAC
  • 2.2 w @300ohms

I think your good to go. This relatively unknown amp gets excellent reviews.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 4:39 AM Post #1,026 of 3,179
To me sometimes it seems measuring gear is a 'sub-division' of the hobby and some people get as much if not more pleasure out of measuring/measurements as from enjoying your gear or god forbid; the music itself. That's all fine, but at the end of the day nothing can fully replace auditioning the gear you are interested in. You can study all the ingredients, cooking times and methods of a delicious dish, and get an idea how it might taste based on the recipe, but nothing can replace the actual taste test.

Back on topic, I did enjoy the Tungsten at CanJam, and I really hope, at some point I will have a chance to spend more time with a pair in my home.

Jan 5, 2024 at 6:47 AM Post #1,030 of 3,179
Give us initial impressions please!
I will soon, I try to keep very early impressions to my supporters chat at first but will share here soon.
They're excellent ofc though

Jan 5, 2024 at 6:49 AM Post #1,032 of 3,179
Jan 5, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #1,035 of 3,179
I love this hobby and the community so I try to do my best to give back and help out others in the process.

Cheers!
Appreciate the feedback you gave in here and the video!
Right now I've been on a kick of pursuing more "fun" sounding playback versus super critical, but happy to pivot between the two. Given you've tried both the SS and DS and mention the SS is more aggressive, would you think the DS would still be fine if the amp I plan to drive it with can add some coloration in the lower frequencies? The iCan Sig has some bass, tube options and sound stage adjustments on tap to warm things up if desired. I am not sure if I missed it or not, but wondered if the DS takes to EQing well or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back