Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Jan 5, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #1,051 of 2,978
I managed to get one today, sorry to anyone who didn't get in. I bought the single sided version, I hope that was the right choice.
My understanding is the single sided is the more "fun" one while double is more accurate, is that rough generalization mostly correct? I went single because I don't need another accurate/neutral headphone, I'd rather something a bit colored and fun, which from reviews, it seems like the single sided Tungsten excels at.
Congrats! Yes, you have it right. I'm the same way and prefer the SS. Love mine! Eager to hear impressions when you get them.

Jan 5, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #1,052 of 2,978
Is it possible to replace the grills on the Tungsten or change their color after one has purchased and received the unit? I would buy the Mimic Audio version in a heartbeat if I could change the color of the grirlls once it arrives. It is the only aspect of their customized version which is giving me pause at the moment.

Jan 5, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #1,053 of 2,978
When I listened to them at a meet up that was my impression. I ordered the SS shortly after and am still waiting for delivery. When talking with Ryan, he described the SS as being a mild v shaped headphone.
They are taking on more orders when the previous orders were not fully delivered?

Jan 5, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #1,054 of 2,978
Is it possible to replace the grills on the Tungsten or change their color after one has purchased and received the unit? I would buy the Mimic Audio version in a heartbeat if I could change the color of the grirlls once it arrives. It is the only aspect of their customized version which is giving me pause at the moment.
Yes you can unscrew them and swap easily. I reached out to Mod House directly and was told $100 for a new set in whatever color I'd like from the Cerakote list.

Jan 5, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #1,055 of 2,978

yes, easily

Jan 5, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #1,057 of 2,978
Yes, current wait time I'm guessing is 4-5 months at this point unless the production speeds up. Maybe can use some of that money raised to improve the operation.
Headphone market bubble? I was sure they are taking on new orders as the previous batch of orders were all delivered.

Jan 5, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #1,058 of 2,978
Sup, newb here.

I read somewhere that Tungsten's required an amp that can delivered at least 1.5w into a 150ohm load, so if my amp can delivered say 1.8w into a 150ohm I'm able to power these monster cans?

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #1,059 of 2,978
Sup, newb here.

I read somewhere that Tungsten's required an amp that can delivered at least 1.5w into a 150ohm load, so if my amp can delivered say 1.8w into a 150ohm I'm able to power these monster cans?
It’s not about wattage it’s about voltage.

Afaik 20 VRMS are recommended at least.

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #1,060 of 2,978
How do I find out if my current DAC and amp setup can deliver the 20v that this cans need?
From what I've gathered, wattage wise these do not need a huge amount but they want voltage, 20v seems to be the sweet spot? So I would see what your amp pushes on the voltage side as folks with amps like Mjolnir3 are stating they work and that only pushes out 2 WPC. I'm sure someone way more technical can chime in on this.

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #1,061 of 2,978
ok, it's Friday afternoon and as I'm easing into the the weekend, time to shift from specs to music...

Just put this Mavrin Gaye old classic (which, curiously, sounds better to me on this collection album vs the original one) and it's just sooooooo much fun on the Tungsten.

Foot tapping, head bobbing, and just smiling... happy weekend y'all

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

1704484064725.png

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #1,062 of 2,978
How do I find out if my current DAC and amp setup can deliver the 20v that this cans need?
Your DAC can do 2 or 4 volts out so that is fine. For the amp, assuming you mean your Aune S17 Pro, I checked their manual and website and no mention so I would reach out to Aune and ask them what the voltage output is on H-M-L gains on balanced and single end connections. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #1,063 of 2,978
I'm not sure what mimic is offering today and I have seem so many variations at the camjam... but the pair that mimic had at the camjam was a version that not only had the purple grills but the actual body/cups were not black but grey in color... so the purple grills went well with the grey body... its hard to see in his website as those pics are of more than one set of headphones... just to let some know that it might be of consideration when you plan on getting a mimic set and change out the grill color...

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #1,064 of 2,978
Your DAC can do 2 or 4 volts out so that is fine. For the amp, assuming you mean your Aune S17 Pro, I checked their manual and website and no mention so I would reach out to Aune and ask them what the voltage output is on H-M-L gains on balanced and single end connections. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Yep, thanks KipFox, I'm gonna ask Aune for that info because I was looking at their spec sheet on their website and couldn't find it anywhere, even on the user manual.

Assuming I get that info from Aune, what's next?

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #1,065 of 2,978
Yep, thanks KipFox, I'm gonna ask Aune for that info because I was looking at their spec sheet on their website and couldn't find it anywhere, even on the user manual.

Assuming I get that info from Aune, what's next?
If it can push 20volts (I assume in high gain) then you are good to go to order a set! They sold out today but Mod House is doing bi-weekly openings, keep an eye on their twitter account as it has been giving early warnings of the drop. Alternatively you can order the DS version from Mimic Audio today, those are a variant in gray color with purple grills which I've grown fond of and pulled the trigger on. The waiting game starts :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back