Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Jan 5, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #1,066 of 2,978
Headphone market bubble? I was sure they are taking on new orders as the previous batch of orders were all delivered.
seems they are also having to supply the various headphone reviewers at the same time they are taking orders... these aren't main stream items yet... once they go main stream who knows what the lead times will become...

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #1,068 of 2,978
If it can push 20volts (I assume in high gain) then you are good to go to order a set! They sold out today but Mod House is doing bi-weekly openings, keep an eye on their twitter account as it has been giving early warnings of the drop. Alternatively you can order the DS version from Mimic Audio today, those are a variant in gray color with purple grills which I've grown fond of and pulled the trigger on. The waiting game starts :beerchug:
Thanks Kip, I'm planning on getting the tungstens after Easter season anyways and I'm gonna wait on more reviews specially comparing the SS vs DS to determine my purchase, maybe after that time orders are gonna be more semi-regular

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #1,069 of 2,978
Is it possible to replace the grills on the Tungsten or change their color after one has purchased and received the unit? I would buy the Mimic Audio version in a heartbeat if I could change the color of the grirlls once it arrives. It is the only aspect of their customized version which is giving me pause at the moment.
…the headband on the Mimic Tungsten has purple stitching :sob:

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #1,070 of 2,978
I decided to order from Mimic. Will let you know in 12 weeks if my order is on schedule or not :upside_down:
Well, I also ordered one from Mimic Audio today, out of impatience, mainly, and my reluctance to wait for another Modhouse buying opportunity only to participate in another futile 2-minute "horse race" at the Modhouse purchase portal (am I the only one who finds that "staged" and predictable rush at the portal to be a little ridiculous, even while understanding the circumstances that have given rise to it?). I fully expect to like and enjoy the unit when it arrives, but if I do not, for some reason, I am sure I can find another buyer for them very quickly, given how "hot" and scarce the Tungstens are at the moment.

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #1,071 of 2,978
Yep, thanks KipFox, I'm gonna ask Aune for that info because I was looking at their spec sheet on their website and couldn't find it anywhere, even on the user manual.

Assuming I get that info from Aune, what's next?

If it can push 20volts (I assume in high gain) then you are good to go to order a set! They sold out today but Mod House is doing bi-weekly openings, keep an eye on their twitter account as it has been giving early warnings of the drop. Alternatively you can order the DS version from Mimic Audio today, those are a variant in gray color with purple grills which I've grown fond of and pulled the trigger on. The waiting game starts :beerchug:

Not an electrical engineer but pushing 20V at 155 ohms (for the DS) means 2.6W which is quite a bit more than the Aune is capable of doing. The actual amount needed may vary depending on how loud you listen to music, whether you use negative pregains, how much dynamic range is in the music you listen to. To get the full 1.8W from Aune you probably need at least a 4V DAC, possibly more.

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #1,072 of 2,978
Well, I also ordered one from Mimic Audio today, out of impatience, mainly, and my reluctance to wait for another Modhouse buying opportunity only to participate in another futile 2-minute "horse race" at the Modhouse purchase portal (am I the only one who finds that "staged" and predictable rush at the portal to be a little ridiculous, even while understanding the circumstances that have given rise to it?). I fully expect to like and enjoy the unit when it arrives, but if I do not, for some reason, I am sure I can find another buyer for them very quickly, given how "hot" and scarce the Tungstens are at the moment.
It's not a good buyer experience, but it is what it is. It's very similar to the mechanical keyboard hobby.

On the topic of the Mimic purple...while it may not be my first choice (actually, the stock grey is), I don't have a strong opinion on the color. I think purple is actually pretty discrete compared to brighter red, yellow, or orange. I think blue would look pretty cool (figuratively and literally), but I'm good with purple.

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #1,073 of 2,978
Is it possible to replace the grills on the Tungsten or change their color after one has purchased and received the unit? I would buy the Mimic Audio version in a heartbeat if I could change the color of the grirlls once it arrives. It is the only aspect of their customized version which is giving me pause at the moment.

It's not a good buyer experience, but it is what it is. It's very similar to the mechanical keyboard hobby.

On the topic of the Mimic purple...while it may not be my first choice (actually, the stock grey is), I don't have a strong opinion on the color. I think purple is actually pretty discrete compared to brighter red, yellow, or orange. I think blue would look pretty cool (figuratively and literally), but I'm good with purple.
Don't know if you care but the Mimic version also supposedly comes with a purple case instead of the normal black one

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #1,076 of 2,978
ok, it's Friday afternoon and as I'm easing into the the weekend, time to shift from specs to music...

Just put this Mavrin Gaye old classic (which, curiously, sounds better to me on this collection album vs the original one) and it's just sooooooo much fun on the Tungsten.

Foot tapping, head bobbing, and just smiling... happy weekend y'all

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

1704484064725.png
Classic funky soul track, and it always gets me boppin'! FYI, I recently discovered a fantastic cover version of it by the late Aaliyah (RIP) on this album:

Aaliyah.jpg

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #1,079 of 2,978

I'm thinking that there are different--more or less pleasing--shades of purple, as there are for every color. It is entirely possible for the purple grills to look more pleasing "in person" than they do on the Mimic Audio page. and it would be okay with me if that turns out to be the case. I am not a "hater" of the color purple per se, although under such semi "blind-buy" circumstances, I'd be (am) more naturally inclined to consider other colors before the idea of selecting any shade of "purple" occurs to me.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #1,080 of 2,978
Classic funky soul track, and it always gets me boppin'! FYI, I recently discovered a fantastic cover version of it by the late Aaliyah (RIP) on this album:

Aaliyah.jpg

Just put it on.... awesome!!! 🙏👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back