Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Aug 18, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #121 of 2,978
Also, earlier in the thread I asked if the Piety would be able to meet the demands of the Tungsten, but now I'm very likely getting a Violectric V202. This should be powerful enough, right? Or would I even need the extra power of the V222?

Aug 18, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #122 of 2,978
Looking forward to hearing more impressions of these, especially more comparisons with any HE1000 models (and Caldera and Elite)!

When I get will share impressions (few great planars on hand at moment: Caldera, Susvara, LCD-4)

Aug 20, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #123 of 2,978
I just picked up a used Fiio Q7. I'm curious about a potential transportable source for the Tungsten. Short of packing up my Jotunheim, I have not found something yet. I tried an ifi iDSD Black Label. It just does not have the voltage to power them. It was ok but the bass boost would distort even at lower volume and there was very little if any headroom.

I'm starting to write my review after about two weeks with the Tungsten. In summary, they are an amazing headphone!
XD-05+ drives my single sided fine. High gain about 3 o'clock for ~80db levels. Has enough headroom to me.

Aug 21, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #126 of 2,978
Are these shipping yet? It sounds like some of you have one already.

Aug 21, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #128 of 2,978
Yeah, I saw the product page was up though very sparse. Are people finding these comfortable? I’ve got rather large ears and those pads look relatively thin compared to some of my ZMF/Meze pads. I’m not sure how recessed the driver is though.

Aug 21, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #130 of 2,978
Yeah, I saw the product page was up though very sparse. Are people finding these comfortable? I’ve got rather large ears and those pads look relatively thin compared to some of my ZMF/Meze pads. I’m not sure how recessed the driver is though.
They are extremely comfortable! The headband does a really good job of distributing the weight.

I have no issues with my ears. The pads are angled and are about an 1” deep in the front and 1.25” at the back.

Aug 21, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #131 of 2,978
Not a lot to see, but product page is up : https://www.modhouseaudio.com/tungsten/tungsten

I'm curious about what this headphones party trick is, or if it has one at all. Perhaps being a good all rounder is its party trick? The price to perf? Hard to tell from the very few impressions.
They are very good all around headphones and have a very good price to performance ratio. They play well with all genres I’ve thrown at them. I’m very impressed. No harshness at all. They have a very mild V shaped signature.

Aug 21, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #132 of 2,978
I'll all about the V these days. I was much more mid-centric in my younger years but now I get more joy from great lows and highs. I doubt I'll get to try these but it's good to see ModHouse releaseing their own designs.

Aug 21, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #133 of 2,978

The pair I demo-ed at CanJam Chicago was extremely comfortable. I thought the pads were comfortable and could've sworn they were ZMF quality.. then I found out indeed they were behind them.. So, if you like ZMF pads, you would love the Tungsten pads. Deep and plush as you're used to (but entirely unique designed for this headphone).

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #134 of 2,978

Very comfortable. The pads are slightly angled with about 1" of depth at the shallow part and 1.25" at the deep end. Woops gc335 beat me to it.

IMG_1795_web.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #135 of 2,978
Those look very comfortable. Thanks for the info/pics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back