Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Jul 28, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #91 of 3,109
@zach915m : Thank you for the kind words and support! Obviously the end result would not have been as good without your pads as well!

@Hifiearspeakers : The sensitivity is low because the gold we're using for the traces is very thin (and gold is naturally less conductive than silver for example). If we had made the impedance low, similar to LCD-5 or DCA Expanse, the sensitivity would be similar to those. However, because of how we're doing the traces we can't use gold that would be thick enough to get that low in impedance. If we used some thicker silver (as we have in earlier prototypes), the impedance would be in that ballpark (say 20-30 ohms), but based on my experience and feedback we got earlier, the gold traces sound significantly better than silver. For example the prototypes I took to NYC earlier this year were identical other than one being 180 ohm gold and the other being about 25 ohm silver....The silver got very mixed reactions while the gold got praised heavily. Considering how thin the metal is I never would have expected such a significant difference in subjective sound quality between them, but there was. So we decided to pursue the highest sound quality possible at the expense of sensitivity. So that is a long winded way of saying, yes...if we changed the design to lower the impedance significantly it would degrade the sound quality in my opinion. This does certainly limit the use case and market for them, but thankfully there are also several affordable amps that can power them, and cheap amps seem to be getting more powerful all the time.

I think you made the right choice. The single-sided magnet version I demo-ed at CanJam Chicago (Chris' unit) had fantastic control. The high impedance and low sensitivity to me suggest that a very powerful TC amp may pontentially be a fantastic fit. When I demo-ed it with the Nautilus Rev2 is was awesome. I can't wait to try it on my Auris Nirvana and L0rdgwyn's Aegis, which I suspect would each offer a very different voicing. I'm excited to compare and contrast. I will also try them through my CFA-3 and Moon 330A power amp, but my hunch is that the ability to get higher amp output impedance for damping factor with the power of a powerful TC amp may make some of those a very good fit. I'll report as soon as I'm able... :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #92 of 3,109
I imagine the Cayin iHA-6 @zach915m carries won’t have too much trouble with the Tungsten either, running balanced of course.

Jul 28, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #93 of 3,109
I really can't wait to hear more thoughts about the single versus double magnet.

Can't decide which one I might end up purchasing.

Jul 28, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #94 of 3,109
I really can't wait to hear more thoughts about the single versus double magnet.

Can't decide which one I might end up purchasing.
Agreed, I assumed the double sided magnet was going to be objectively superior, but I may have been off the mark with that assumption.

Jul 28, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #95 of 3,109
Agreed, I assumed the double sided magnet was going to be objectively superior, but I may have been off the mark with that assumption.
I'm definitely curious about this, too.
I've heard good things about both.

One person I talked to said that the double magnet bested his Caldera and was also his preference when compared to the Susvara.
Mainly looking to see if others think similarly, or if there's more to the story.

I could definitely see it being possible.
Just because these headphones have high price tags doesn't mean that a smaller maker can't come in and do the same thing.

I'm honestly rooting for Tungsten to be a giant killer.

This hobby has truly become a bit too greedy, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #96 of 3,109
@Tulon What type connector is used for connecting the headphone cable to the cups? Is it mini-XLR by chance?

Jul 29, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #97 of 3,109
Jul 29, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #98 of 3,109
3.5mm connectors
Was hoping I’d be able to use one of my many mini-XLR cables I’ve accumulated for my ZMFs and Meze headphones. Though Ryan did say the stock cable should be pretty nice.

Jul 29, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #99 of 3,109
But Jeff is a disaster and QC is. In existant.

No comment... 😉

Was hoping I’d be able to use one of my many mini-XLR cables I’ve accumulated for my ZMFs and Meze headphones. Though Ryan did say the stock cable should be pretty nice.

Yea, it will be made by Skedra, making this probably the highest quality stock cable out there (I have couple of his cables ordered custom over the years, top notch). This is some serious attention to accessory quality..

In general, mini-XLR and 3.5 are the two most common stanadrads, followed by a plethora of annoying/proprietary/one-off terminations. It's a good idea to have a quality cable of each, and you'd be getting one with this so don't even need to worry.

Jul 30, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #101 of 3,109
I'm excited to try this out at CanJam SoCal. The Caldera with thick pads is by far my favorite headphone. When I recoup some funds I'll definitely support @Tulon too. Love the passion that he and @zach915m put into their products. I have nothing against the big companies, but getting something from a small shop feels super special. It helps when it sounds heavenly too...

Jul 30, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #102 of 3,109
I have nothing against the big companies, but getting something from a small shop feels super special. It helps when it sounds heavenly too...

Amen

Jul 30, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #103 of 3,109
Aug 6, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #105 of 3,109
I compared it to the Caldara yesterday and from memory I can compare it to the LCD-5 and a few others.

The Caldara is an amazing headphone. It's also about $2k more than the Tungsten. It has a bit more detail and a little tighter bass when compared to the Tungsten. That said, the Tungsten stacks up very well. I feel like it is easier to listen to when compared to the Caldara. The mids on the Caldara are slightly more forward.

Technically the LCD5 is VERY good but comes across a bit dry and boring with some tracks. IMO, unlike the Tungsten the LCD5 does not play well with all genres. With the right music that is well recorded the 5 is a stunning headphone.

I've also heard the Susvara but not enough to really make a comparison. I heard the Elite a while ago and really liked it. From memory, it's got a deeper V signature with substantially more energy in the low end. It's a fun headphone and great for electronic.

In my review, I'll compare it to the DCA Noire.
Out of curiosity, do you have or did you compare against any Hifimans like Arya or HE1000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back