Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
May 26, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #3,046 of 3,179
Something is off in that relationship. I dont think Ryan would throttle orders and want Mimic to sell as many as they can. Thats just puttin undue pressure on him and I don't see why he would prioritize those orders while other people are having to speed order for 3 minutes a month. I fully expected to get them quicker by going through Mod-house.

That said I understand where you are coming from, your frustration with it, and all of that. I'm sure you didnt think about it from every single angle in the moment you decided to go through Mimic.

All I know is I'm Team Ryan- he is good people and deserves flowers for his success. He is going as fast as he can, we all understand that. Mimic on the other hand- my speculation would be Ryan had to have asked him to throttle orders and they just won't. "Contract's a contract" type of deal is my guess. Signed before it became all the rage and turned into unexpected, unpredictable, unprecedented demand for a proud like this.
It's not my intention to speak for anyone so one of them sees I'm wrong please correct me. But from what I understand mimic orders go in the same order as the direct orders, the primary benefit being you don't have to wait for direct drops on Fridays. Also Mimic has great support so you obv get that too. (In this case modhouse is also amazing so not that much of a benefit.) Also though, the Mimic line is a standard spec and a lot of orders are custom, so a Mimic order may go a little faster just because of standard of delivery.

I know both Mimic and Modhouse to be very cool to work with. I see a lot of concerns here and I would highly recommend reaching out to them about it.

May 26, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #3,047 of 3,179
I think Mimic has been pretty transparent with ETAs. I also don’t have an issue with WaveTheory’s reviews/thoughts/opinions. He clearly likes the headphones. He's not obligated to give a glowing review. In fact, I appreciate his views on them because they're different than others. There's a couple other small YouTube channels that have bought into the hype and don't really say much about the headphones.

May 26, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #3,048 of 3,179
I think Mimic has been pretty transparent with ETAs. I also don’t have an issue with WaveTheory’s reviews/thoughts/opinions. He clearly likes the headphones. He's not obligated to give a glowing review. In fact, I appreciate his views on them because they're different than others. There's a couple other small YouTube channels that have bought into the hype and don't really say much about the headphones.
Reviewers don't need to like the headphones. But don't say that it's congested and bloated, because that's not true.

May 26, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #3,049 of 3,179
Reviewers don't need to like the headphones. But don't say that it's congested and bloated, because that's not true.
I haven’t watched all the videos yet but I don’t remember him saying this in his initial review. There must be some context behind that statement, no?

May 26, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #3,050 of 3,179
I haven’t watched all the videos yet but I don’t remember him saying this in his initial review. There must be some context behind that statement, no?
This was in his last Tungsten review.

After his 3 reviews I can only think that it was sponsored by HFM. I don’t have any other explanations. Correct me if I’m wrong. I wish him luck, but it’s time for me to unsubscribe.

May 26, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #3,051 of 3,179
I think he has been wrong multiple times with his assessment. I remember his assessment of Schiit MJ3 was off as well from general consensus.

May 26, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #3,052 of 3,179
I only use reviewers to get a general idea of what to expect from a product I'm interested in, ie specs, build quality, materials, etc. No matter how un-biased they say they are, you never know what sort of underlying deals and sponsors they have. They may say none of that matters to their review but I'm sure it's in the back of their head to even the most "un-biased" reviewer. It's their lively hood at stake after all, especially if the reviewer is still relatively small compared to the huge channels and this is a niche market to begin with.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #3,053 of 3,179
I think he has been wrong multiple times with his assessment. I remember his assessment of Schiit MJ3 was off as well from general consensus.
I guess I wasn't the only one who thought his Mjolnir 3 review was odd. He also said stay away from 300ohm headphones with the Mjolnir 3, yet everyone is telling me it sounds great in the Mjolnir 3 thread. I almost didn't buy my Atrium to pair with Mjolnir 3.
I was originally going to get the Tungsten DS, but I decided to hold off until some of the backlog dies down (wishful thinking I know).

May 26, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #3,054 of 3,179

After his 3 reviews I can only think that it was sponsored by HFM. I don’t have any other explanations. Correct me if I’m wrong. I wish him luck, but it’s time for me to unsubscribe.
I mean, I too love Hifiman, my reference is HeK Stealth and his is HeKse. Saying they are detail monsters or even better in some aspects than Tungsten is fine and fair even. But saying Arya was more detailed than DS Tungz has to be wrong, for instance. IDK, his voice and the slow way in which he talks already makes him a painful watch to me so I've been moved on lol. But I had to ask why the hell he's still rocking a demo unit after all these months when we are on a 6 month wait...

May 26, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #3,055 of 3,179
I mean, I too love Hifiman, my reference is HeK Stealth and his is HeKse. Saying they are detail monsters or even better in some aspects than Tungsten is fine and fair even. But saying Arya was more detailed than DS Tungz has to be wrong, for instance. IDK, his voice and the slow way in which he talks already makes him a painful watch to me so I've been moved on lol. But I had to ask why the hell he's still rocking a demo unit after all these months when we are on a 6 month wait...
Because Tungsten is still highly coveted, and he knows having it in the title will drive views his way.

May 26, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #3,056 of 3,179
Because Tungsten is still highly coveted, and he knows having it in the title will drive views his way.
100%.

Content farming with Demo cans.

May 26, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #3,057 of 3,179

Ok, fair enough. I don’t have any stake in the game. I care but not that much.

May 26, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #3,058 of 3,179
I hoped after his first failed review he would apologize and make and objective review. But I was wrong.

1. In his first review he stated that Arya was technically better headphone which was absolutely not true
2. Now in this second review he stated that hybrid pads were congested, bloomy and bloated - and that's not true neither
3. He stated that some adapters would fix that. Yes, they can do some improvements, but no adapters can fix a bad headphone as he was saying

I can't trust WaveTheory anymore.
his reviews are subjective. attacking his credibility as a reviewer because his perception and preferences don't align with your own is misguided.

May 26, 2024 at 11:53 PM Post #3,059 of 3,179
his reviews are subjective. attacking his credibility as a reviewer because his perception and preferences don't align with your own is misguided.
When he said that Arya is technically better, that’s an objective statement.
When he said that the bass was congested and bloated, that’s an objective statement.

Will any Tungsten owners agree with him on that?

May 27, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #3,060 of 3,179
When he said that Arya is technically better, that’s an objective statement.
When he said that the bass was congested and bloated, that’s an objective statement.

Will any Tungsten owners agree with him on that?
no, it is not. it is his opinion based on his perception and preference, which is subjective. he has never attempted to provide objective evidence to support his subjective findings in his reviews as far as i am aware.

whether tungsten owners agree with him or not is ultimately irrelevant because it is his subjective experience that forms the basis of his reviews.

perhaps you could avoid this unnecessary aggravation by finding another youtube reviewer whose opinion of the tungsten mirrors your own.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back