Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
May 25, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #3,031 of 3,179
I hoped after his first failed review he would apologize and make and objective review. But I was wrong.

1. In his first review he stated that Arya was technically better headphone which was absolutely not true
2. Now in this second review he stated that hybrid pads were congested, bloomy and bloated - and that's not true neither
3. He stated that some adapters would fix that. Yes, they can do some improvements, but no adapters can fix a bad headphone as he was saying

I can't trust WaveTheory anymore.
Based on his chain, only mid fi headphone would sound good. I didn’t buy into his reviews because my DAC/amp is too different from his.

The problem with Tungsten is that its driver space is a bit too compacted from between the driver and your ears so there is no room for the air to resonate and give that bass slam. Some of the washer mods shows that if you just added 1-2mm of depth the bass slam would be harder and the sound clearer. The adapter is meant to give the space, but what I see that adapter in the vid added a solid metal filter between the ears and driver which may reduce the treble a bit.

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #3,032 of 3,179
I hoped after his first failed review he would apologize and make and objective review. But I was wrong.

1. In his first review he stated that Arya was technically better headphone which was absolutely not true
2. Now in this second review he stated that hybrid pads were congested, bloomy and bloated - and that's not true neither
3. He stated that some adapters would fix that. Yes, they can do some improvements, but no adapters can fix a bad headphone as he was saying

I can't trust WaveTheory anymore.
Knowing how different his taste and priorities are to mine, I never really took his observations too seriously. I guess, you got to pick your reviewers based on how well your taste aligns with theirs.

May 25, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #3,033 of 3,179
Knowing how different his taste and priorities are to mine, I never really took his observations too seriously. I guess, you got to pick your reviewers based on how well your taste aligns with theirs.
This is not about his taste. It’s about his statements. For example, I can say that I like HD650 more than Susvara, that’s my personal preference. But I can’t say that HD650 is technically superior, because that would be a lie.

He also stated in his Oor/Hypsos review that it was perfect with his Hifiman, but it was not good enough for Tungsten. Absolutely not true. For a lot of Tungsten owners Oor is the main amp and if it would be bad, why we would use it?

The problem with WaveTheory is that he confuses people who still decides if they want to buy the Tungsten. And any existing Tungsten owners would strongly disagree with his review.

Why is he doing that?

IMG_9874.jpeg

May 25, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #3,034 of 3,179
This is not about his taste. It’s about his statements. For example, I can say that I like HD650 more than Susvara, that’s my personal preference. But I can’t say that HD650 is technically superior, because that would be a lie.

He also stated in his Oor/Hypsos review that it was perfect with his Hifiman, but it was not good enough for Tungsten. Absolutely not true. For a lot of Tungsten owners Oor is the main amp and if it would be bad, why we would use it?

The problem with WaveTheory is that he confuses people who still decides if they want to buy the Tungsten. And any existing Tungsten owners would strongly disagree with his review.

Why is he doing that?

IMG_9874.jpeg
Taste affects how we hear things. Taste is what we are used to, what we like. Even the most 'objective' reviewers are influenced by their taste, whether they are aware of it or not, whether they admit it or not. WaveTheory has a strong HiFiMan preference.

May 25, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #3,035 of 3,179
Taste affects how we hear things. Taste is what we are used to, what we like. Even the most 'objective' reviewers are influenced by their taste, whether they are aware of it or not, whether they admit it or not. WaveTheory has a strong HiFiMan preference.
I really want to believe that. But he never said that. He said Arya is technically better than Tungsten.
I personally don’t like Tungsten on Oor. But I will not say it’s a bad pairing.

May 25, 2024 at 11:12 PM Post #3,036 of 3,179

Why is he doing that?

IMG_9874.jpeg
All while pimping a demo unit from Mimic for months while Mimic is 9 months behind!

Dislike !

May 25, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #3,037 of 3,179
All while pimping a demo unit from Mimic for months while Mimic is 9 months behind!

Dislike !
The guy with Mimic order in November still hasn’t gotten his order while ModHouse is releasing December orders.

May 25, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #3,038 of 3,179
The guy with Mimic order in November still hasn’t gotten his order while ModHouse is releasing December orders.
Painful af. I wonder if my March Modhouse order will beat your Mimic order

May 26, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #3,039 of 3,179

Dislike !
And he made 3 reviews of how much he didn’t like it.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #3,040 of 3,179
Isn't that how it's supposed to be? You can buy from Mimic anytime, no effort needed

May 26, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #3,041 of 3,179
Isn't that how it's supposed to be? You can buy from Mimic anytime, no effort needed
That was never told to me or anyone ordering about such discrimination between methods.

It shouldn’t be a competition. Either there is a problem with how Mimic handle their customer orders or ModHouse has a business problem with Mimic.

May 26, 2024 at 1:38 AM Post #3,042 of 3,179
That was never told to me or anyone ordering about such discrimination between methods.

It shouldn’t be a competition. Either there is a problem with how Mimic handle their customer orders or ModHouse has a business problem with Mimic.
It's not discrimination. MH says 16 weeks, Mimic says 20 - 24 weeks. So there is at least 4 weeks difference. MH December orders and Mimic Nov orders are in line with the timeline. Adjust for whatever delta was advertised at the time.

May 26, 2024 at 1:39 AM Post #3,043 of 3,179
And he made 3 reviews of how much he didn’t like it.
I'm SAYIN'. Like, put that up on Reddit AITA and watch everybody come at dude.

Tell us your opinion, sure, then send the damn cans back already if you dislike them so much. Why are you hanging onto a demo for 6 months to continuously make negative content with?! That's just damn weird. Bad manners. Bad form. Unprofessional.

May 26, 2024 at 1:44 AM Post #3,044 of 3,179

Something is off in that relationship. I dont think Ryan would throttle orders and want Mimic to sell as many as they can. Thats just puttin undue pressure on him and I don't see why he would prioritize those orders while other people are having to speed order for 3 minutes a month. I fully expected to get them quicker by going through Mod-house.

That said I understand where you are coming from, your frustration with it, and all of that. I'm sure you didnt think about it from every single angle in the moment you decided to go through Mimic.

All I know is I'm Team Ryan- he is good people and deserves flowers for his success. He is going as fast as he can, we all understand that. Mimic on the other hand- my speculation would be Ryan had to have asked him to throttle orders and they just won't. "Contract's a contract" type of deal is my guess. Signed before it became all the rage and turned into unexpected, unpredictable, unprecedented demand for a product like this.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #3,045 of 3,179
I'm SAYIN'. Like, put that up on Reddit AITA and watch everybody come at dude.

Tell us your opinion, sure, then send the damn cans back already if you dislike them so much. Why are you hanging onto a demo for 6 months to continuously make negative content with?! That's just damn weird. Bad manners. Bad form. Unprofessional.
Do you think he’s gonna make a 4th video to make sure that everybody knows how he dislikes a free demo Tungsten for 6 months?

I want to see people faces who didn’t buy Tungsten because of him, and then tried Tungsten at Canjam/friends/meetups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back