Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
May 27, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #3,076 of 3,179
If you want HE6 series I would recommend to save for HE6 OG. But they cost as much as Tungsten šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Well, considering that I just dropped $3,600 on an Atrium, pads, and cables. Then on top of that I am going to purchase a Yggdrasil next year. It is not out of the question down the road. :wink:
I have other purchases that I might make first, and the Tungsten being one of them.

May 27, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #3,077 of 3,179
Once I get the Yggdrasil I am moving my Bifrost 2/64 & Burson Soloist 3xp to my listening chair. That might have a chance at driving Tungsten reasonably well (hopefully). I am going to be purchasing a $3k or so tube amp in 2026 (still debating on the model) to power Atrium and possibly Tungsten. We shall see how things turn out.

May 27, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #3,078 of 3,179
Well, considering that I just dropped $3,600 on an Atrium, pads, and cables. Then on top of that I am going to purchase a Yggdrasil next year. It is not out of the question down the road. :wink:
I have other purchases that I might make first, and the Tungsten being one of them.
Getting in the wait line for Tungsten should be a priority šŸ¤£ In my opinion.

Atrium is so good, no questions ā¤ļø

May 27, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #3,079 of 3,179
Getting in the wait line for Tungsten should be a priority šŸ¤£ In my opinion.

Atrium is so good, no questions ā¤ļø
Yeah, I know, but since my current setup was of questionable synergy with Tungsten, and the long wait times I decided to go with the Atrium this year. They are at the sanding portion of production, so still a few weeks out from being in hand. I have a Corpse Cable ready and waiting for them, lol.

May 27, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #3,080 of 3,179
Can we all just agree that word choices matter, and that the intent of the message can get lost in translation. Audio can be perceived differently, but so can text (just read reviews of books). lol
of course but i've been around these forums for long enough to suspect that there's more at play here. anyway, i think we've taken this thread off-topic for long enough.

May 27, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #3,081 of 3,179
Since the production time is so far away, Iā€™m trying to plan out my setup for the eventual purchase of Tungsten. Would Jotunheim 2 & Modius DAC be a good ā€œbudgetā€ option?

Iā€™ll be going single sided, I listen to primary metal and that sort of music. I love detail and clarity with some punch. SS seems like itā€™s suited for my preferences.

Would love to hear other peopleā€™s thoughts/experiences. Thanks in advance šŸ™

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #3,082 of 3,179
Since the production time is so far away, Iā€™m trying to plan out my setup for the eventual purchase of Tungsten. Would Jotunheim 2 & Modius DAC be a good ā€œbudgetā€ option?

Iā€™ll be going single sided, I listen to primary metal and that sort of music. I love detail and clarity with some punch. SS seems like itā€™s suited for my preferences.

Would love to hear other peopleā€™s thoughts/experiences. Thanks in advance šŸ™
The Jot 2 will have you covered on the power end. The problem is the DAC is far from sufficient. You need at least the Yggy GS2 to bring out the best on the Jot 2. Many people, me included, thought the Jot 2 was just some low budget to at best mid fi amplifier. Boy was I wrong when I hooked it up to the Yggy GS2. It sound amazingly better than with the BiFrost and probably far better than a Modius. I was close to sending back my MJ3 because of how much I liked my Jot 2. I ended up keeping both and just moving the Jot 2 into my work place.

May 27, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #3,083 of 3,179
The Jot 2 will have you covered on the power end. The problem is the DAC is far from sufficient. You need at least the Yggy GS2 to bring out the best on the Jot 2. Many people, me included, thought the Jot 2 was just some low budget to at best mid fi amplifier. Boy was I wrong when I hooked it up to the Yggy GS2. It sound amazingly better than with the BiFrost and probably far better than a Modius. I was close to sending back my MJ3 because of how much I liked my Jot 2. I ended up keeping both and just moving the Jot 2 into my work place.
Appreciate that! Right now I am trying to get a foundation going and work my way upward. Iā€™m planning on spending $1500+ for the Tungsten, which is why I asked if Jot2 and Modius would be a good ā€œbudgetā€ starting point.

I am still pretty early in my audiophile journey. Right now I have little interest in spending $2200+ on just a dac. Down the line? Sure, but right now Iā€™m starting slow. I have a family and do not have infinite funds šŸ˜‚

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #3,084 of 3,179
I wonā€™t lie, this hobby makes me laugh at times. I ask for confirmation on a budget pairing for Tungsten and am immediately recommended a $2200+ dac šŸ˜‚ Iā€™m sorry, no hate intended, itā€™s just funny.

May 27, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #3,085 of 3,179
I wonā€™t lie, this hobby makes me laugh at times. I ask for confirmation on a budget pairing for Tungsten and am immediately recommended a $2200+ dac šŸ˜‚ Iā€™m sorry, no hate intended, itā€™s just funny.
Yeah, well. That is Head-Fi. Budget is relative. There are $30.000 DACs too.

May 27, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #3,086 of 3,179
Yeah, well. That is Head-Fi. Budget is relative. There are $30.000 DACs too.
I totally get it. Like I said Iā€™m not mad, itā€™s just funny. I clearly lay out the options I was looking into. Jot 2 ($399) + Modius ($299) gives a clear picture of my budget and Iā€™m immediately recommended a dac that is even more than the Tungstens. Sorry, thatā€™s funny to me.

May 27, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #3,087 of 3,179
I get your mindset. I started with a Modi & Asgard 3 when I first started. I have since had several step ups in DACs (currently on a BF2/64), as well as amps (currently Mjolnir 3 is my main amp). After 4 years I am finally going to be upgrading to a Yggdrasil next year. If you just need a DAC to fill the void then a modi multibit 2 or the Modius should do fine I would assume (still have not gotten my hands on a Tungsten yet). It is best to get a baseline understanding of where your tastes lie anyway.

May 27, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #3,088 of 3,179
I totally get it. Like I said Iā€™m not mad, itā€™s just funny. I clearly lay out the options I was looking into. Jot 2 ($399) + Modius ($299) gives a clear picture of my budget and Iā€™m immediately recommended a dac that is even more than the Tungstens. Sorry, thatā€™s funny to me.
I know. That's a general tendency. People often ignore details, like budget, in a question, and just keep recommending their own beloved gear regardless of price. I guess, it is a pride thing. Just pay attention to those few, who actually read your questions and care about it enough to give an adequate answer. :wink:

May 27, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #3,089 of 3,179
I know. That's a general tendency. People often ignore details, like budget, in a question, and just keep recommending their own beloved gear regardless of price. I guess, it is a pride thing. Just pay attention to those few, who actually read your questions and care about it enough to give an adequate answer. :wink:
Will do, thank you! Very well put!

May 27, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #3,090 of 3,179

Many in the tungsten telegram chat believe 2x monoblocked t.amp 150 mkii speaker amps are the "best" budget option, I think they are around $400 shipped. They will take up the budget of your desk space though lol, and not usable with more sensitive headphones. I haven't heard tungstens on the Jotunheim 2 but others have said they do a fine job, and power wise it should be good. I am just now upgrading from my modius, I think it is a good starter dac for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back