Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Mar 10, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #2,371 of 3,104
All valid points and haven't yet heard Ryan's personal views specifically on the cloth mod. However, I believe it was always his intention to have the Tungstens be mod-able to customize for individual preference. After all, his company is called Modhouse. 😏

I did do it on the hybrid pads to bring the perception of detail and air closer to the ultra perforated pads and believe it did partially achieve that objective but hard to tell for sure as can't AB back and forth.

Hadn't realized until recently many were also doing the cloth mod on the stock ultra perforated pads. May try that too down the road.
I am all up for the owner's freedom to modify their purchased goods to their taste, and I am not saying the cloth mod does not work, since I haven't heard it. Yet, something like this appears in my mind when I read about it. No offence to anyone. :)
464BB3D700000578-0-image-a-23_1510585011140.jpg

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:04 AM Post #2,372 of 3,104
This 'mod' seems a bit drastic to me as well. Effectively destroying the pads for results which one might or might not like. If the sound change is so favourable, why Ryan did not design the pads/headphones that way? He spent years with fine tuning and used dozens of prototypes. The most wonderful 'flagship beater' boutique headphones that hardly has come out, already 'needs' modding to sound better? I am a little dubious.
The pads are off the shelf ZMF pads.

This is nothing different than pad rolling.

The vast majority of people who have done the mod to the UP pads have found it preferable, with no significant downside.

No one is making you pick a different pad or modify yours.

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:46 AM Post #2,373 of 3,104
You guys have your own discord channel?! Are plebs allowed or do you need to show proof of owning a Tungsten and/or a grand piano??
In reference to earlier discussions, sometimes it’s nice just enjoy what you’ve got and take time away from wanting more or change all your equipment, especially with a headphone that appears to change with whatever equipment you throw at it. I’ll just get either broke or disappointed
Email Ryan and he can invite you.
I’ve emailed Ryan about my order 2 times and not heard anything back. Nothing serious, there’s plenty of time.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #2,374 of 3,104
In reference to earlier discussions, sometimes it’s nice just enjoy what you’ve got and take time away from wanting more or change all your equipment, especially with a headphone that appears to change with whatever equipment you throw at it. I’ll just get either broke or disappointed

I’ve emailed Ryan about my order 2 times and not heard anything back. Nothing serious, there’s plenty of time.
I emailed him once about my order (wanted to change the cable termination) months ago and never got a reply. I think letting Ryan do his thing and holding off from emailing him is the move right now.

Mar 10, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #2,375 of 3,104
On a different note - I hope that the influx of the new ~2-3k-4$ headphones ( Empyrean II, Charybdis, Tungsten ) will results in even better TOTLs planars. I obviously understand that for most value per dollar is the most important metric, but ngl. I'd love to see Susvara successor, 1266 TC successor or maybe someone else surprising me with a banger.

Shangri La SR, Orpheus, Aperio obviously exist, but I'd like something that I can plug into my existing system without the need for more boxes.

Mar 10, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #2,376 of 3,104
I emailed him once about my order (wanted to change the cable termination) months ago and never got a reply. I think letting Ryan do his thing and holding off from emailing him is the move right now.
Oh for sure yes. One was before ordering asking about shipping and then I cocked up my order.

Will leave him be for a while as my order question is not essential.

Mar 10, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #2,377 of 3,104
Curious to understand more about these, but I'm not willing to read 159 pages of posts. How do they compare to other PM around £2000? So HE1000SE. And to Caldera?

TIA.

Mar 10, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #2,378 of 3,104
Curious to understand more about these, but I'm not willing to read 159 pages of posts. How do they compare to other PM around £2000? So HE1000SE. And to Caldera?

TIA.
you pretty much got it lol.
They best most everything up to Caldera but don't really best Caldera is how I'd frame it.
And HeKse is a beast of a headphone that I'd call "comparable" to Tungstens and some may even prefer.

I'll defer to the others here for the specifics.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #2,379 of 3,104
They best most everything up to Caldera but don't really best Caldera is how I'd frame it
After a very brief listen, I think I would agree with this.

Mar 10, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #2,380 of 3,104
you pretty much got it lol.
They best most everything up to Caldera but don't really best Caldera is how I'd frame it.
And HeKse is a beast of a headphone that I'd call "comparable" to Tungstens and some may even prefer.

I'll defer to the others here for the specifics.
Thank you so much!

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #2,381 of 3,104
I think it’s perfectly acceptable also to regard that part of the reason for the decision on buying these, is where headphones are made and by whom. Given all three of the above that has been mentioned, they are all incredible, your money is at least staying in the country in which you reside for two of them.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #2,382 of 3,104
Yeah, I agree with that. I buy Norne cables bc they are great but also bc I love me some Trevor @ Norne.
I bought Schiit Gumby n Yggy bc I love their story and want a DAC from The Legend himself, Mike Moffat.
I bought Flux Mentor bc it's great but also a company I wanted to support out in Kharkiv Ukraine.
Can't wait to have Ryan's cans in hand, either, as he is a great guy and now becoming a legend in his own right.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 10:03 PM Post #2,384 of 3,104
I am all up for the owner's freedom to modify their purchased goods to their taste, and I am not saying the cloth mod does not work, since I haven't heard it. Yet, something like this appears in my mind when I read about it. No offence to anyone. :)
Absolute Giga Chad levels of modding, absolutely approve without any reservations.

1710126936937.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back