Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Mar 11, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #2,401 of 3,104
I dont think I ever wrote here!
But, I have to say, the DS Tungsten off a masskobo 465 was possibly, by far, one of my favourite things I can recall hearing. Its been a good while since London 2023, but oh my goodness I will have to give it a listen again. I much preferred it over the Susvara.

I have talked with Ryan a few times on Telegram, especially with the headband and design. Very lovely person to chat with.

But yes, the Tungsten, I will need to listen to it again and I believe I will pretty soon. I am somewhat tempted to get a pair myself sometime but for now, I will stick with what I have. I need to improve my source chain if I want to run one anyway!

Mar 11, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #2,402 of 3,104
It’s anti-dumping measures. The foreign goods were artificially cheap due to their government subsidies which made home grown operations uncompetitive. The Chinese subsidized their manufacturing and the US subsidize our farms. This is also why the French farmers are protesting too.
Awww.
And perhaps the Germans as well. Saw that they had a bunch of tractors blocking roads in Berlin recently.

Mar 11, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #2,403 of 3,104
But yes, the Tungsten, I will need to listen to it again and I believe I will pretty soon. I am somewhat tempted to get a pair myself sometime but for now, I will stick with what I have. I need to improve my source chain if I want to run one anyway!
*Have to upgrade the chain-

it is certainly part of the fun!

Mar 11, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #2,404 of 3,104
Mar 11, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #2,405 of 3,104
Not for the wallet tho...
Mine is still giving me the Silent Treatment lolololl

It was fine with me until I bought a used Yggy two days after I bought a used Gumby multibit lol.

Only one will remain. Somebody is going to get a good deal on a used one- just not sure which one it'll be yet, but,
I got the Gumby in today and it sounds amazing af.

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #2,406 of 3,104
Mine is still giving me the Silent Treatment lolololl

It was fine with me until I bought a used Yggy two days after I bought a used Gumby multibit lol.

Only one will remain. Somebody is going to get a good deal on a used one- just not sure which one it'll be yet, but,
I got the Gumby in today and it sounds amazing af.
We need some impressions and comparisons plox, more so when you get your Mentor.

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #2,407 of 3,104
We need some impressions and comparisons plox, more so when you get your Mentor.
Yeah I need that Mentor, stat!
Bc Fiio K9 only has RCA inputs (no balanced in, only out) I'm only getting 2v from the Gumby instead of the 5v I get internally from the DAC in the K9. As a result I'm on high gain @ 3 o'clock and not having enough headroom to really stretch it's legs. Still sounds awesome.
At the end of 311's Champagne it ends it what I always thought was a static distortion sound. But, Gumby reveals that it's actually a sound of what seems to be a jar full of plastic bee bees hitting a table! Insane. I've heard that song a hundred times and never heard it correctly.
Every song it seems has something like that going on; as well as a better tonality very noticeable in vocals.

More impressions in the Gungnir thread.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 1:19 AM Post #2,408 of 3,104
Yeah I need that Mentor, stat!
Bc Fiio K9 only has RCA inputs (no balanced in, only out) I'm only getting 2v from the Gumby instead of the 5v I get internally from the DAC in the K9. As a result I'm on high gain @ 3 o'clock and not having enough headroom to really stretch it's legs. Still sounds awesome.
At the end of 311's Champagne it ends it what I always thought was a static distortion sound. But, Gumby reveals that it's actually a sound of what seems to be a jar full of plastic bee bees hitting a table! Insane. I've heard that song a hundred times and never heard it correctly.
Every song it seems has something like that going on; as well as a better tonality very noticeable in vocals.

More impressions in the Gungnir thread.
I hope Cyan 2 is a transformative to my music listening and enjoyment once I finally get it like it has been for you with your absolute Schiit equipment, lol!!!!!

Mar 12, 2024 at 1:30 AM Post #2,409 of 3,104
I hope Cyan 2 is a transformative to my music listening and enjoyment once I finally get it like it has been for you with your absolute Schiit equipment, lol!!!!!
Me too , My friend. Me too.
I was eyeing a Cyan 2 as well but then I read Jason's book and Mike's The Story of Yggdrasil and I just wanted to get in with them fellas.
Gungnir's been great so far but I am chomping at the bit for Yggy on Thursday and for my Flux.

Mar 12, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #2,410 of 3,104
I was eyeing a Cyan 2 as well but then I read Jason's book and Mike's The Story of Yggdrasil and I just wanted to get in with them fellas.
Gungnir's been great so far but I am chomping at the bit for Yggy on Thursday and for my Flux.
My Flux are still stuck in Ukraine. UPS suspended delivery till the war situation gets better. Oh well, they have till end of May when hopefully the tungsten will get delivered.

Mar 12, 2024 at 1:59 AM Post #2,411 of 3,104
My Flux are still stuck in Ukraine. UPS suspended delivery till the war situation gets better. Oh well, they have till end of May when hopefully the tungsten will get delivered.
daaaaamn. they are still in Kharkiv? Or like stuck at the border?

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #2,412 of 3,104
daaaaamn. they are still in Kharkiv? Or like stuck at the border?
No idea, it’s still stuck on the label stage on UPS but Flux told me they went out on shipment already. So I assume it’s still inside Ukraine still because Poland UPS hasn’t received them yet.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 2:32 AM Post #2,413 of 3,104
Probably just stuck at the border. I wouldnt panic yet.

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:35 AM Post #2,414 of 3,104
Mar 12, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #2,415 of 3,104
Not to derail thread into dac talk, but I got a Yggy og about a month or so ago. Coming from my Bifrost 2 and lower priced D/S dacs Yggy is truly exceptional. In reviews people say it's a "5%-10% improvement" in sound, but it's actually a night and day difference between those price tiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back