Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Mar 12, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #2,416 of 3,114
Not to derail thread into dac talk, but I got a Yggy og about a month or so ago. Coming from my Bifrost 2 and lower priced D/S dacs Yggy is truly exceptional. In reviews people say it's a "5%-10% improvement" in sound, but it's actually a night and day difference between those price tiers.
Mine will be here Thursday!!

Mar 12, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #2,417 of 3,114
Yours is already past customs right?
Yes, mine will be here Thursday. Thank the Gods.
He panicked me a little because as of yesterday morning it still said "Label Created" with no updates- which is exactly what Flux told me would be the case.
They said 3-5 days in limbo then it'll pop up in Poland then be in the States the next day-
which is exactly how it played out.

Mar 12, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #2,418 of 3,114
No idea, it’s still stuck on the label stage on UPS but Flux told me they went out on shipment already. So I assume it’s still inside Ukraine still because Poland UPS hasn’t received them yet.
check again today- ours might have been on the same truck.
Set to arrive Thursday in my case.

Mar 12, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #2,419 of 3,114
check again today- ours might have been on the same truck.
Set to arrive Thursday in my case.
Mine is a week after yours I think. We will see! I’m excited you are getting yours.

Mar 12, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #2,420 of 3,114
Mine is a week after yours I think. We will see! I’m excited you are getting yours.
yeah, you and me both! That whole "label created" wait suuuucks.
Mine went out last Monday but there was a mistake on the label (somebody adding weight to it in 'an abundance of caution' is how Flux described it), so, they had to send it out again on Wednesday. Took the full 5 days to get into Poland.
The good part is once you see that tracking pop in Poland it's only 2 days away.

Illustrates the Ukrainian issue , huh? 5 full days (7 in my case bc of the error) to even make it to the nearest active UPS hub... then makes the 5500 mile journey to my porch in Arkansas in 48 hours lol.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #2,421 of 3,114
Really looking forward to the collective reviews of guys receiving their headphones in the coming weeks.

Does anyone know when the next batch will be up for sale on the Modhouse site?

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #2,422 of 3,114
Really looking forward to the collective reviews of guys receiving their headphones in the coming weeks.

Does anyone know when the next batch will be up for sale on the Madhouse site?
Just look at modhouse side

Mar 12, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #2,423 of 3,114
Thanks- Last time I checked, there was no announcement posted. I see it now.

Mar 12, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #2,424 of 3,114
Thanks- Last time I checked, there was no announcement posted. I see it now.
Sometimes the date gets updated a bit late, but afaik the drops got reduced to once (?) a month and are announced on the MH Homepage

Mar 13, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #2,425 of 3,114
First day with the SS Tungsten.

These headphones render spatial information in such a wonderful way. You get space when the recording has it or intimacy if the recording has it. At times it sounds as though recorded instruments are suspended in air around my head and into the room.

They give texture to sound such that you get the sensation that you can feel it.

Since this was my first day with them,
I listened to a mix of music: Rock, folk, jazz, electronic, dance, classical and pop.

Radiohead’s Weird Fishes and National Anthem started the party. Followed that up with King of Sweden from the new Future Islands album since I’ve been playing that a lot lately.

After that I switched gears and went with Jose Gonzalez’s version of this is how we walk on the moon. Played Bad Mind from Erin Rae. Listened to Hank Mobley’s Soul Station. Put on James Blake’s Retrograde. The texture of the synths and his voice are special. There’s been so much listening today I could on and on.

I will say that the clamp force seemed to significantly impact the sound. My steel headband needed adjusting to loosen the clamp. After I did that, the bass was much better to my ears and the headphone’s comfort improved significantly.

I’m looking forward to Can Jam this weekend.
How so you compare them bs LCD-X?

Mar 13, 2024 at 8:05 PM Post #2,428 of 3,114
How so you compare them bs LCD-X?
Just did a side by side with my DS Tungstens and my old LCD-X's. The first thing you immediately notice is the comfort, man does it feel awkward going back to the LCD-X's after the Tungstens, like the Tungstens aren't actually that much lighter I don't think, but but they truly feel so much more comfortable to wear.

As for the sound, I'm not an expert here and I'm not trained enough as other people are to know how to pick things apart but to my ears, the LCD-X's definitely have much more of an emphasis on sub-bass than the Tungsten's and you can feel that characteristic planar slam on them more, can't compare it them to the SS's which are said to have a touch more on the lowend, but where the Tungstens definitely win out on the LCD-X's is the details and soundstage, everything feels clearer on the Tungstens and the presentation is more spread out whereas the LCD-X's are much more packed-in and agressively in your face. Listening to something like EDM or Rock that's a lot more frenetic, the differences between the two are lessened, but if you put on something that has an emphasis on the vocals or something like jazz, and the gap definitely shows between the two.

Mar 13, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #2,429 of 3,114
Just did a side by side with my DS Tungstens and my old LCD-X's. The first thing you immediately notice is the comfort, man does it feel awkward going back to the LCD-X's after the Tungstens, like the Tungstens aren't actually that much lighter I don't think, but but they truly feel so much more comfortable to wear.

As for the sound, I'm not an expert here and I'm not trained enough as other people are to know how to pick things apart but to my ears, the LCD-X's definitely have much more of an emphasis on sub-bass than the Tungsten's and you can feel that characteristic planar slam on them more, can't compare it them to the SS's which are said to have a touch more on the lowend, but where the Tungstens definitely win out on the LCD-X's is the details and soundstage, everything feels clearer on the Tungstens and the presentation is more spread out whereas the LCD-X's are much more packed-in and agressively in your face. Listening to something like EDM or Rock that's a lot more frenetic, the differences between the two are lessened, but if you put on something that has an emphasis on the vocals or something like jazz, and the gap definitely shows between the two.
Nice! What amp are you using?

Also, I’m also in the DC area. If you’re ever interested in comparing your Tungsten to my Abyss 1266, just let me know. I’m really curious to A/B these two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back