Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Mar 9, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #2,356 of 3,110
Oh so very true.
Close to a year ago I posted how happy I was/am with my setup after getting Envy and my T+A gear. Reaching Endgame, that classic clichee.

Tbh I still feel like it. Envy AE being the only upgrade to the Envy but still super content with the rest of my chain. If it weren't limited, I might not even have jumper on the upgrade instantly.

However I didn't leave, and read about the Tungsten -> order in.
I read about the new Raal and even went to a headphone Show, all due to the hype here on head-fi. This changed my plans and the result is that I quit estats and instead join the Raal Club...

Overall though my favourite headphone remains the Meze Elite. And just that one with my chain could already produce eternal happyness, if I were to leave head-fi
I still love Meze Elite — I have two of them for use at different locations. That said, Tungsten DS, with ultra perforated pads, cloth-modded, gets a lot more head time now, particularly with Envy and my insanely good tubes.

Mar 9, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #2,357 of 3,110
I still love Meze Elite — I have two of them for use at different locations. That said, Tungsten DS, with ultra perforated pads, cloth-modded, gets a lot more head time now, particularly with Envy and my insanely good tubes.
What do you mean with "cloth modded"?

Mar 9, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #2,358 of 3,110
What do you mean with "cloth modded"?
The thin fabric covering the hole in the headphone pad is removed (cut out). It enhances detail significantly with both pad options, but particularly on the UP ones.

I’m not sure if it has been discussed here, but it’s almost universal practice among the Tung Talk Discord denizens.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #2,359 of 3,110
The thin fabric covering the hole in the headphone pad is removed (cut out). It enhances detail significantly with both pad options, but particularly on the UP ones.

I’m not sure if it has been discussed here, but it’s almost universal practice among the Tung Talk Discord denizens.
How to remove the cloth? Just unscrew the front screw and slide the cloth?

Mar 9, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #2,360 of 3,110

You guys have your own discord channel?! Are plebs allowed or do you need to show proof of owning a Tungsten and/or a grand piano??

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #2,362 of 3,110
You guys have your own discord channel?! Are plebs allowed or do you need to show proof of owning a Tungsten and/or a grand piano??
Take the pad off, leaving it on the adapter. Pull cloth inward and up, and take sharp curved iris scissors, and cut the cloth at the edge of hole in pad. Be careful to not damage the adapter hole mesh.

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #2,363 of 3,110
Take the pad off, leaving it on the adapter. Pull cloth inward and up, and take sharp curved iris scissors, and cut the cloth at the edge of hole in pad. Be careful to not damage the adapter hole mesh.
You lost me at scissors, too invasive for me.

Mar 10, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #2,368 of 3,110
This 'mod' seems a bit drastic to me as well. Effectively destroying the pads for results which one might or might not like. If the sound change is so favourable, why Ryan did not design the pads/headphones that way? He spent years with fine tuning and used dozens of prototypes. The most wonderful 'flagship beater' boutique headphones that hardly has come out, already 'needs' modding to sound better? I am a little dubious.

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #2,369 of 3,110
This 'mod' seems a bit drastic to me as well. Effectively destroying the pads for results which one might or might not like. If the sound change is so favourable, why Ryan did not design the pads/headphones that way? He spent years with fine tuning and used dozens of prototypes. The most wonderful 'flagship beater' boutique headphones that hardly has come out, already 'needs' modding to sound better? I am a little dubious.
It sounds like the same Grado mods people were doing years ago. Sure the sound is clearer but so did the sibilance and ear fatigue.

Mar 10, 2024 at 5:28 AM Post #2,370 of 3,110
All valid points and haven't yet heard Ryan's personal views specifically on the cloth mod. However, I believe it was always his intention to have the Tungstens be mod-able to customize for individual preference. After all, his company is called Modhouse. 😏

I did do it on the hybrid pads to bring the perception of detail and air closer to the ultra perforated pads and believe it did partially achieve that objective but hard to tell for sure as can't AB back and forth.

Hadn't realized until recently many were also doing the cloth mod on the stock ultra perforated pads. May try that too down the road.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back