Mobile version of Head-Fi?
Dec 11, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #61 of 165
The auto-loading avatars, which I thought were great for saving bandwidth, now cause the iOS Safari to slow down considerably.

Dec 11, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #62 of 165
Quote:
Also, it would make a nice selling point for getting other sites to convert. The percentage of mobile users will not be going down - it will be the primary form of going online in a few more years.

It is my primary way of browsing the interwebs now. 

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #63 of 165

It is my primary way of browsing the interwebs now. 

Me, too. I'm out right now and am on the iPhone. Even at home, I often use the iPad with a Bluetooth keyboard. A keyboard and gestures make for fast, intuitive browsing - I can't wait for better iOS functionality and more powerful iPads!

Dec 12, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #64 of 165
I want to like the iPad for couch surfing, but I just loath Apple so much - internal dilemma.

Samsung's attempt at a Pad device is flawed at 7", but if someone comes out with a stable Android-based tablet at 10" I'm sold.

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #65 of 165
I PM'd Jude about it a couple days ago (and linked to this thread), but haven't heard anything back.  I'll post here if I do.  Mobile FTW!!!!

Dec 12, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #66 of 165
I would seriously kill for a mobile version. On a related note: 

I noticed that my iPod touch 2g on WiFi is significantly slower than any newer iOS devices. I think that the problem of mobile slowness mostly resides in hardware. 2g iPod touches only have a 450mhz processor... compared to a 1ghz in newer fourth generation devices.

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #67 of 165

Quote:
I'm sorry Sorensiim, but that's just a bad idea.  In fact I don't mind the ads too much.  I've actually purchased an item from a Head-Fi ad.  As long as Jude's business model of ad-based income remains to be a financial success for him, why would we want to pay for extra perks?  If users come to the site because of its content and usability, then all features should be free to all users.

See, I hate ads so I'd gladly pay to get rid of them. They're not displayed in Tapatalk, which is why I believe allowing only paying users to access the mobile version could be a solution :)

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #68 of 165
Sorensiim, great idea linking to this thread in your sig.  I'm doing the same.

Oh, and I'd consider paying for a mobile version, depending on how well it was executed.

Dec 14, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #69 of 165
Lets be honest, this forum is hard to handle on a 15" screen the way it is and is just about broken in function. A mobile app would be a god send.

But, even if tapatalk could easily be integrated like it can with many forums, I don't think Jude would spring for it. Your hitting the nail on the head with the ad comments. Tapatalk only supports the forum function which is no longer the main function of head-fi in my mind. You'd miss all the pretty ads and other forms of articles and review software, etc. and someone would would have to pay for the lost ad revenue.  We are talking about a forum that wants you to pay to have a proper boolean search here, you kind of see the main focus, right?

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #71 of 165
I got a PM back from Jude this morning, which read:

Quote:
Chris, thanks for the message. I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. I receive a lot of Head-Fi emails and PM's, so it can take a while for me to respond.

We'll keep your offer in mind. We are, however, working on making our own mobile-friendly solution(s), though I'm not willing to discuss any timeframes at the moment.

Thanks again, and see you on the forums.

Best Regards,
Jude

I'll file that away as good news.  Hopefully the aforementioned 'timeframe' is short...

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #73 of 165
I hope so! What an excellent Christmas it would be... Imagine:

Christmas morning, wake up, check Head-Fi, get out of bed, open HD800's
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back