Mitchell & Johnson - Electrostatz, 2 way hybrid, Headphones Appreciation and Impressions Thread!
Jun 26, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #331 of 601
@Astonish, haven't heard the MJ1, though I bought a pair as a gift. One user said they have less bass than MJ2 (he has both models). Recommended bass boost of 4db and a few db of treble cut for an amazingly well balanced sound.

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #332 of 601
This thread is about all Mitchell & Johnson hybrid headphones. They feature a 40mm dynamic bass driver crossed over to an electret mid/high frequency flat panel driver. This enables them to cover an amazing frequency range beyond 40,000hz. Perfect for the new hi res recordings.

Original model was the HP1. Followed by the GL2SE on Kickstarter ( now sold with slightly different cosmetics after the Kickstarter campaign and called GL2). They were so successful Mitchell & Johnson started an Indiegogo campaign on Dec. 04, 2016 to introduce a full line of Electrostatz hybrid 2 way closed back full size over ear headphones. These include the GL1, GL2, MJ1, MJ2, and a DJ model JP1. These headphones have already been manufactured and are ready to ship after the mandatory Indiegogo 15 day post campaign waiting period. M&J is providing very nice discounts on these headphones.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...d-electrostatic-headphones-audio/x/11005829#/

I have the GL2SE, HP1, and the MJ2 just arrived. Tell us about your M&J Electrostatz headphones. There is a lot to talk about.

UPDATE: MITCHELL & JOHNSON HEADPHONES MUST BE PLAYED MANY DAYS TO REACH THEIR TOP SONIC ABILITIES. PLEASE DO NOT JUDGE THEM RIGHT AFTER OPENING THE BOX. THEY NEED APPROXIMATELY 200 HOURS OF PLAYING.

This is called break in or burn in. It is similar to a new car engine. You do not have to listen the whole time. Put your player on repeat shuffle, turn the volume to average or slightly higher and play music. You can place the headphones in a semi open sock drawer to reduce the noise. Check on the headphones every few days. They are worth the effort.

You will find initial sound and burn in mentioned often in the following posts. It also pops up other places. This update is provided to give new M&J headphone owners a headstart on enjoying their great sounding headphones.
Wow! That’s just amazing. I wonder if the screw being too tight is distorting the
I was working again on this pair of headphone wanting to test them as open-back, so I disasemble the right can ... and I lost a screw retaining the plate (the plate fix the can on the headband). So I tightened the only leaving screw (not so tighly than original). The test in open back has practically no change in the sound BUT when I reassemble the can without that screw and not so tight ... the right can was brighter than the left one (doh !!!! that the sound I search with headphones) ...

So I disasemble the left too and remove one screw too and untight the left one ... same good sound in left and right can ... Don't ask me why (My right ear is less sensitive than the lef one and I felt the change) ... seems that screws are too tight and without one the integrity of the headphone is the same with only 2 of the 4 screw but it seems to open the seal of the back just a bit to just sharpen a bit the sound (Hope someone have the same impression to confirm, it totaly reversible)

Now the sound is perfect for me on deadbeef in bitperfect (so without equalizer). I'll test putting some felt inside the cups when I have time.

Wow! That’s amazing. Perhaps, tightening the screw all the way down distorts the driver casing and damps the diaphragm. Maybe, releasing the screw, allows the vibrating element move more easily. Great tip. Will try it for sure.
BTW, what about extraneous vibrations? Do you think that this may become an issue if the screws are not tight enough?
Also, about the burn in, this headphone is a barbecue machine. From 100 to 150, again from 150 to 200 the sound improved. Someone said 500 hours is about right. I should have bought these when I was 40. They’ll be done to a turn by the time I’m 60 !!

Jun 27, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #333 of 601
Jun 27, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #334 of 601
I was working again on this pair of headphone wanting to test them as open-back, so I disasemble the right can ... and I lost a screw retaining the plate (the plate fix the can on the headband). So I tightened the only leaving screw (not so tighly than original). The test in open back has practically no change in the sound BUT when I reassemble the can without that screw and not so tight ... the right can was brighter than the left one (doh !!!! that the sound I search with headphones) ...

So I disasemble the left too and remove one screw too and untight the left one ... same good sound in left and right can ... Don't ask me why (My right ear is less sensitive than the lef one and I felt the change) ... seems that screws are too tight and without one the integrity of the headphone is the same with only 2 of the 4 screw but it seems to open the seal of the back just a bit to just sharpen a bit the sound (Hope someone have the same impression to confirm, it totaly reversible)

Now the sound is perfect for me on deadbeef in bitperfect (so without equalizer). I'll test putting some felt inside the cups when I have time.

Jun 28, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #335 of 601
Yeah I too would like to know how they sound vs. the original stock cable willsw.

Unfortunately I don't have access to those headphones anymore, I just know the pinout for cables. I can't comment on how that cable or others would sound. All I know is that the original M&J cable seems designed to be as thin and cost-conscious as possible, and if you are driving your headphones from a source other than a phone it is very likely that improving the cable would result in overall improvements to the headphones' sound.

Jun 28, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #336 of 601
Unfortunately I don't have access to those headphones anymore, I just know the pinout for cables. I can't comment on how that cable or others would sound. All I know is that the original M&J cable seems designed to be as thin and cost-conscious as possible, and if you are driving your headphones from a source other than a phone it is very likely that improving the cable would result in overall improvements to the headphones' sound.

I C. Ok. I use my LG V30 which has an audiophile-quality DAC ("Quad DAC") and amp, so perhaps I'll just stick with that.

But if you can recommend any good cables to buy online, I might be open to that too?

Jun 28, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #337 of 601
I C. Ok. I use my LG V30 which has an audiophile-quality DAC ("Quad DAC") and amp, so perhaps I'll just stick with that.

But if you can recommend any good cables to buy online, I might be open to that too?

I have the V20 and it was a a very big step up from the phone I had when I last tested the MJ2. I don't know of anyone selling cables for the MJ2 and JP1, as they do have that unique pinout. I have no more of that braided cable I used in the other, but I could see how some other wire I have works.

Jun 28, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #338 of 601
I have the V20 and it was a a very big step up from the phone I had when I last tested the MJ2. I don't know of anyone selling cables for the MJ2 and JP1, as they do have that unique pinout. I have no more of that braided cable I used in the other, but I could see how some other wire I have works.

Nice! Yeah I tested out the V20 too a while back. The V30's Quad DAC is supposed to be even better I believe.

Unique pinout? Ok.

Yeah that would be cool. I honestly don't know if I'd hear a difference though. I once bought this Sony cable and tried it out. Despite what other reviews said, I could NOT hear any difference with it, and I have tested my hearing and it's very good. But I might be open to what you have. Just depends.

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #339 of 601
Unique pinout? Ok.

I don't know of any other headphone wired to both cups that uses TRS plugs wired for stereo on both sides to avoid needing left and right markings. When made for right and left sides, the two sides are wired differently.

Here's a 5' cable I just made using 24awg, PTFE-coated silver-plated copper that I've been using for other headphone cables. It feels flexible enough to be used while mobile. If someone would like to try it at material cost, contact me.

20180629_010501.jpg

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #340 of 601
I don't know of any other headphone wired to both cups that uses TRS plugs wired for stereo on both sides to avoid needing left and right markings. When made for right and left sides, the two sides are wired differently.

Here's a 5' cable I just made using 24awg, PTFE-coated silver-plated copper that I've been using for other headphone cables. It feels flexible enough to be used while mobile. If someone would like to try it at material cost, contact me.

That's cool willsw.

How much is material cost, out of curiosity?

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #341 of 601

willsw,

I wanted to revisit this post real quick to clarify...........with the cable you created and pictured/posted in here, did you notice that it sounded better than the stock cable?

Also, why would it matter if you were using a phone or not with regards to if it makes a difference to use that custom cable? I'm just asking to make sure we're all on the same page is all. I know that most phones don't have the greatest audio chips in them, but we both know that's not always the case (i.e. LG, HTC 10, Huawei, and Sony too). lol

Thanks!

Jun 29, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #342 of 601
willsw,

I wanted to revisit this post real quick to clarify...........with the cable you created and pictured/posted in here, did you notice that it sounded better than the stock cable?

Also, why would it matter if you were using a phone or not with regards to if it makes a difference to use that custom cable? I'm just asking to make sure we're all on the same page is all. I know that most phones don't have the greatest audio chips in them, but we both know that's not always the case (i.e. LG, HTC 10, Huawei, and Sony too). lol

Thanks!

As I said, I don't have the headphones, so I am not able to compare cables.

The source matters because a change in cable typically results in a very small change in sound, if there is a noticeable change at all. The source and the headphones both matter in how much difference a cable change can potentially have: the DAC, amp, and headphones need to be resolving enough to allow any cable change to be audible. Is the noise floor low enough, are the headphones adequately powered, are the headphones themselves detailed enough. Even with the V30's nice sound, you'd almost certainly get more out of an inexpensive/used external portable amp than a new cable.

From another point of view, M&J headphones are among a small group of headphones that I would personally desire a new cable for just because I so dislike how the stock cables feel. Material appeal and aesthetic happiness are as legitimate as any other reasons to get a new cable.

Jun 29, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #343 of 601
As I said, I don't have the headphones, so I am not able to compare cables.

The source matters because a change in cable typically results in a very small change in sound, if there is a noticeable change at all. The source and the headphones both matter in how much difference a cable change can potentially have: the DAC, amp, and headphones need to be resolving enough to allow any cable change to be audible. Is the noise floor low enough, are the headphones adequately powered, are the headphones themselves detailed enough. Even with the V30's nice sound, you'd almost certainly get more out of an inexpensive/used external portable amp than a new cable.

From another point of view, M&J headphones are among a small group of headphones that I would personally desire a new cable for just because I so dislike how the stock cables feel. Material appeal and aesthetic happiness are as legitimate as any other reasons to get a new cable.

Oh ok. I thought maybe you did a comparison while you had the MJ2s.

I C. Ok. Yeah I couldn't agree more! The quality of the source device and headphones are critical to the overall quality of the sound.

Ok........well those are perfectly reasonable preferences for wanting a new cable for sure! It looks like my MJ2s are coming in a few days early actually (today vs. Monday), so I guess I'll let them burn in over the weekend and see how they are on Sunday or else Monday. I got an open-box pair off Amazon for only $395. I figured since some ppl on here are saying they need like 200 hours of burn-in that open-box maybe makes more sense?! lol

Thanks!

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #344 of 601
I have the JP1's and purchased the silver custom cable from Willsw pictured earlier in the thread. I can definitely hear a difference from the stock cable. The custom cable makes brighter yet controlled highs and seemingly bigger soundstage while maintaining the tight and accurate bass that makes these electrostats sound so unique. This cable successfully maintains most of the sound signature while adding some additional range at high frequencies in a very subtle but apparent way which makes it hard to go back to the stock cable even for A-B testing.

I should mention that I am using aftermarket Sheepskin earpads and have not had a chance to try the custom cable with the stock pads.

Willsw--I'd love to try and compare any other cables you have, this one was impressive imho.

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #345 of 601
I have the JP1's and purchased the silver custom cable from Willsw pictured earlier in the thread. I can definitely hear a difference from the stock cable. The custom cable makes brighter yet controlled highs and seemingly bigger soundstage while maintaining the tight and accurate bass that makes these electrostats sound so unique. This cable successfully maintains most of the sound signature while adding some additional range at high frequencies in a very subtle but apparent way which makes it hard to go back to the stock cable even for A-B testing.

I should mention that I am using aftermarket Sheepskin earpads and have not had a chance to try the custom cable with the stock pads.

Willsw--I'd love to try and compare any other cables you have, this one was impressive imho.

Wow! Awesome Benz-Fi! Thanks for the review! Much appreciated!! :L3000:

Are you by chance referring to THESE Brainwavz Sheepskin earpads Benz?? I actually both them for my Meze 99 Classics a while back. Super ridiculously comfortable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back