Mission: Replace the HiFiMAN ear pads with other brand ear pads
Aug 8, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #376 of 756
Quote:
Cheap answer: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/886679-REG/Sennheiser_549375_HD_580_Headband.html with 2 strips of double sided permanent tape from any local store. Will have to replace headband pad eventually depending on use. Cheap foam deflates

More involved answer: Remove threading from leather pad, remove bottom replace current foam with much thicker denser open cell memory foam or some equivalent, restitch and never have to replace again. May or may not void warranty. As it does not physically do anything with the drivers, I'd say no. But asking head-direct may be best.

Doing the latter suggestion here soon, just haven't decide if I'm going to replace the leather entirely with some other color. Will post results when I do finish the project however!

As for earpads. After trying a few different pads. I settled on DT 770 pads. 1mm size difference from stock pads so assembly takes minimal stretching. Also I very much like the sound without the dust cover between my ears. Just sounds better to me. Less veiled. Slightly similar to removing the outter dust cover as some has tried. Just not quite as strong a difference. My 2 cents. Ears always very!

Thanks for the suggestions NoEars. I have actually tried the foam strip from the HD 600 already and while initially they weren't bad. After some extended use, the foam compresses (like you say) and actually becomes quite annoying as you can feel the individual pads touching your head. I have since taken the foam strip off and am back to just the plain headband. I'd be interested to see how your modifications go as it sounds pretty interesting.

Aug 19, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #377 of 756
Any word on using Beyer velours on HE-400? I'd like more comfort without sacrificing sound quality too much.

Stock pads a bit too small and pleather seems to get sweaty for me. Thank you.

Aug 19, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #378 of 756
Quote:
Any word on using Beyer velours on HE-400? I'd like more comfort without sacrificing sound quality too much.

There is a fair bit of discussion at the start of this thread. Do a search within this thread on Beyer and I'm sure you will find the info you need.

Aug 19, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #379 of 756
Quote:

I have. Unfortunately the beyer middle ring (mesh - the thing in the middle part of the ring that protects the drivers) is too thick and it affects the sound negatively.
If you could get a thinner and more transparent one (something like the HiFiMAN use or thin stockings, etc) it should be quite okay.
I tried the DT990 (softest) gray velours and thought the comfort was nice.

Aug 19, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #380 of 756

There is a fair bit of discussion at the start of this thread. Do a search within this thread on Beyer and I'm sure you will find the info you need.

Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:

I have. Unfortunately the beyer middle ring (mest - the thing in the middle part of the ring ring/protects the drivers) is too thick and it affects the sound negatively.
If you could get a thinner and more transparent one (something like the HiFiMAN use or thin stockings, etc) it should be quite okay.

Ah! That makes sense, I had another person PM with the same kind of response. How exactly did the thick fabric affect the sound if you remember?

Aug 19, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #381 of 756
Quote:

I have. Unfortunately the beyer middle ring (mesh - the thing in the middle part of the ring that protects the drivers) is too thick and it affects the sound negatively.

I would disagree about what you think of the Beyer disc with regards to HE400 though. If anything, you want the dust cover to be somewhat thick so that HE400's treble peak is attenuated.

Aug 19, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #382 of 756
I would disagree about what you think of the Beyer disc with regards to HE400 though. If anything, you want the dust cover to be somewhat thick so that HE400's treble peak is attenuated, at least somewhat.

Hi Jerg, I've sent you few PMs with a couple of questions, but you're probably too busy to respond. Have you tried Beyers on HE-400 and what do you think? Also, have you tried the foam rings from pleathers inserted into stock hifiman velours?

Aug 19, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #383 of 756
Quote:

Hi Jerg, I've sent you few PMs with a couple of questions, but you're probably too busy to respond. Have you tried Beyers on HE-400 and what do you think? Also, have you tried the foam rings from pleathers inserted into stock hifiman velours?

Nah didn't hear the Beyerdynamic velour earpads myself. The only Beyer pads I have tried (and still own) are the J$ leather Beyer earpads, and those are great, just a bit too deep so the sound gets kinda thinned out / bright.

The foam rings are kept in the pleather earpads only because they make those pads about as deep as velour pads, so the tonal balance in the midrange gets similar. If you put it in velour pads they would be too deep which would make their already bright sound signature even brighter.

All in all I really think you want the darkest-sounding earpads for HE400 to offset its peculiar sound signature. The alpha pads might be great in that regard, though I haven't had the chance to try em yet.

Aug 19, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #384 of 756
Quote:
Nah didn't hear the Beyerdynamic velour earpads myself. The only Beyer pads I have tried (and still own) are the J$ leather Beyer earpads, and those are great, just a bit too deep so the sound gets kinda thinned out / bright.

The foam rings are kept in the pleather earpads only because they make those pads about as deep as velour pads, so the tonal balance in the midrange gets similar. If you put it in velour pads they would be too deep which would make their already bright sound signature even brighter.

All in all I really think you want the darkest-sounding earpads for HE400 to offset its peculiar sound signature. The alpha pads might be great in that regard, though I haven't had the chance to try em yet.

I really like the feel of velours, but coming from Q701 the stock Hifiman velours feel 20% too small.

Aug 19, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #385 of 756
Quote:

I really like the feel of velours, but coming from Q701 the stock Hifiman velours feel 20% too small.

Yeah some custom earpad maker really needs to make some jumbo-sized velour/felt earpads, kinda like the HD800 pads, that'd be a best-seller.

Aug 25, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #387 of 756
I am still very happy with the HM5 pads + HFM foam rings mod.
I might have been lucky with my pair I would not exchange them for anything (unless I had to)
The SQ + comfort is just supreme 
gs1000.gif

Sep 7, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #388 of 756
I'm expecting my HE-400 soon and I knew the stock pads will not fit me as I have large ears. I made the mistake (!) of reading this thread so now I am thinking of getting Denon, JLawton, LCD pads after reading 17 pages of this thread. However I also see that MrSpeakers Mad Dogs Alpha Angled Pads are also supposed to fit the HE-400/500. Another choice.

Does anyone have experience with the Alphas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back