Mission: Replace the HiFiMAN ear pads with other brand ear pads
May 6, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #737 of 756
Just ordered a pair of these for my 560s:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Angle-Genu...hash=item2a8d9a69f3:m:mOtL39AxqaPnS4HqrvfNE4w

They sure look nice in the pictures - very much like the audeze pads. Here’s hoping they look and feel as nice when they arrive from China.... I’ll report then.

Just reporting back that the pads arrived in relatively short order from China, and they are FANTASTIC! (Photos above). Very high quality leather, substantially thicker than stock focus pads, relatively easy install (same as stock, as far as I can tell), very much remind me physically of the audeze pads. Super comfortable and look great, most important, my first impression is that they fix everything that was less than ideal about these headphones in the first place. Everything is just more solid and ‘there’. More liquid, better extension top and bottom and more three dimensional images with overall better tonal colors and more body. And the bass, which I thought was pretty good before, is now otherworldly. With these pads the hifimans vault over the Elears as the first place go to in the main rig. Make my 560s sound and feel like lcd-3s ;0) - A 100% winner for $43, imho.

How is the long-term test with these pads?

Still satisfied?

On the pictures they look really great! Maybe I will test them on my Hifiman 500.

Has anyone tested this pads on the Hifiman 500 yet?

Since Strat1117 has not answered yet, I ordered the pads for my HE500 on ebay.

Shipping to Germany was also very fast (5days).
And I think the quality of the pads is very good.

I can only confirm the written statement of Strat1117 to the full extent. The pads are really outstanding in the processing as well as of the soft leather.
They also fit perfectly on the HE500.
Also the sound has become slightly more precise and exact.
For me in any case a purchase recommendation.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #739 of 756
C77B0279-9C6F-4445-AFC5-C7C6B048C724.jpeg

brainwavez on he-4xx

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #740 of 756
With the E2 pads no rings necessary... Just stick on the phones. With the ether 2 pads you need the rings.

Good luck

Ended up with the VOCE pads. Angled Ether Flow are still unavailable. Stock pads were literally falling apart, so I needed something quick.

I was able to mount the VOCE pads on the clip-on rings. The fit isn't perfect, but it's good enough. The stitching isn't perfect either, and the leather has some imperfections. I bought these brand new straight from Dan Clark Audio mind you. The Audeze lambskin pads are better quality for less money in my opinion.

I think soundstage improved, bass has more texture, and the treble got tamed. It's a warmer sound overall. Things get pushed out a little. Some might interpret that as a loss of presence. But maybe it's just an artifact of going from old squashed pads to new firmer ones.

Comfort is good though not stellar. The ear cups are roomy if just a tad shallow. My ear slightly brushes the fabric. But they're an improvement over the stock HE560 pads in this (and perhaps every) respect.

voce 1.jpegvoce 2.jpegVoce 3.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #742 of 756
I threw a set of Dekoni Elite pads on my sundaras, and what a world of difference in comfort. The sound is still about the same as stock, if not with a touch more bass. Treble is still accurate, if not a little tamer. Main reason for switching was that the stock pads were scratchy feeling. I feel like this is a more premium Focus A pad. I would strongly recommend them if you want more comfort, and a sound that's close to the Focus A pads.

Jul 9, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #743 of 756
Yes, the rings easily fit under the installation rings on the back of the pads. This method also works work zmf pads. I should note that i enjoy the stock Ether 2 pads on HE6SE over others by a good margin. The E2 are super easy with the mounting adhesive... just press on.

What did you use on the 6se before, the stock or others? Still liking the E2? Is the adhesive a strip or liquid? Can you take them off and reuse or do you have to put more adhesive?

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #744 of 756
I threw a set of Dekoni Elite pads on my sundaras, and what a world of difference in comfort. The sound is still about the same as stock, if not with a touch more bass. Treble is still accurate, if not a little tamer. Main reason for switching was that the stock pads were scratchy feeling. I feel like this is a more premium Focus A pad. I would strongly recommend them if you want more comfort, and a sound that's close to the Focus A pads.

xsist--I have the HE-4XX, and, as it looks like the Sundaras have the same shape and mounting rings w/clips as do the 4XX's, which exact Dekoni Elite pad did you get? Did they come with the mounting rings already attached? The prospect of a more comfortable Focus A pad (with its great matching to the 4XX sound-wise) is quite intriguing. Thanks for any info!

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #745 of 756
xsist--I have the HE-4XX, and, as it looks like the Sundaras have the same shape and mounting rings w/clips as do the 4XX's, which exact Dekoni Elite pad did you get? Did they come with the mounting rings already attached? The prospect of a more comfortable Focus A pad (with its great matching to the 4XX sound-wise) is quite intriguing. Thanks for any info!
I got the elite hybrids. If you do a Google search, dekoni elite hybrid hifiman, it was the first result from dekonis website. It came with the rings already. I've had it for almost a year, and no signs of wear. Previously they were on my 400i. They're 80 from their site, but you might be able to find them cheaper than that if you shop around.

Dec 15, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #748 of 756
You think the HEX v2 is bright? OK. Pads could be very tough to find. My plan is buy a set from HFM, then open up the backs of the old ones and stuff in more padding (not evenly, more in deeper part, less in thin part, since I like angled pads).

As for HE5LE, HE5SE, MD-4XX, HE-500, HE6SE - all improved a lot by the MrSpeakers Ether Angled.
Are the Ether Angled pads made of leather or pleather? And either way, how have they lasted you so far? I'm looking for replacement pads relatively soon given that the focuspads I'm using are already deteriorating within a year or two of use... lol. How does the bass compare to them? I have a slight issue with how pronounced the midbass can sound on em, despite it not really leaking into the mids--does the Ether Angled help clean this up a little bit?

Dec 15, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #749 of 756
Are the Ether Angled pads made of leather or pleather? And either way, how have they lasted you so far? I'm looking for replacement pads relatively soon given that the focuspads I'm using are already deteriorating within a year or two of use... lol. How does the bass compare to them? I have a slight issue with how pronounced the midbass can sound on em, despite it not really leaking into the mids--does the Ether Angled help clean this up a little bit?

the old ones were lambskin. I heard that they recently came out with a felt, so I'd log into Dan Clark's site and find out for sure.

They hold up average, they will compress after some time - that can be fixed. The stitching and the leather hold up fine.

Bass is really flat and natural, with great definition and no smearing. One of my pet things is I have to have my mid-bass flat and the Ethers really hold that up. I don't like chesty low mids and dont like my lower bass getting stepped on.

You'll like them.

Dec 15, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #750 of 756
Hi everyone. What are the most breathable pads? My ears get extremely hot.

Currently, I'm using ZMF Auteur pads which are still too hot for me. I've used ZMF Eikon, ZMF Ori (lambskin) and Sundara pads, but they're all too hot, despite being comfortable otherwise. Of the pads I've used, the Sundaras are probably the coolest. I'm probably going to switch back from the Auteur pads tonight.

Any suggestions? Maybe some of the ZMF perforated?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back