Mission: Replace the HiFiMAN ear pads with other brand ear pads
Jul 19, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #526 of 756
  Do you have a link to their angled velour pads? I didn't know they made the hm5 pads in velour that are angled.

Here ya go: http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Angled-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZGFVEUE

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #530 of 756
  Does anyone know if these will sound good with my HE400's? I don't want to mess with the tonality but these look promising for $26 shipped. 

I would also love to know this. I just picked up the HE-400 again, going to try some mods. Also plan on ordering either the angled HM5 pleather or velours. On one hand I've read that the velour memory foam can muddy up the bass response so I'm leaning towards ordering the pleathers.   On the other hand, I love the comfort of velour.

But yeah, I wonder if anyone has had to the chance to try either or both angled versions on the HE-400?

Aug 27, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #531 of 756
I've been using my HE-500's with Alpha Pads DIRECTLY over the cups (removed the pad-mounting rings entirely) and I have to say - the sub-bass response has improved drastically.

I don't know the physics behind it, but it seems like the vibrations from the cups are being sent through the pads more directly, enhancing the perception of rumble.  This seems to be similar to what the double-sided tape mod accomplishes, but this is perhaps more effective.

The downside?  It doesn't look as pretty.  Also, it may be tough to stretch a new pair of Alpha Pads enough to get the fit.  My pair was already pretty stretched out from being used on my ZMF Blackwood, so they went on pretty easily.

The Alpha Pads have also made the general tonality more to my liking, reducing the treble slightly.  This might make them too "dark" sounding for some, but sounds great to me.

So you aren't using Hifiman's included mounting rings, did you also remove the black ring that they clip onto? How did you get them to stay on? I am currently using the Alpha Pads with stock rings and I wish I could get a better seal.

Aug 27, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #532 of 756
So you aren't using Hifiman's included mounting rings, did you also remove the black ring that they clip onto? How did you get them to stay on? I am currently using the Alpha Pads with stock rings and I wish I could get a better seal.

I removed the plastic mounting rings that you put the pads on, but kept on the plastic rings that screw onto the baffle.  The pads stay on just from the tight fit over the cups.  Might not sound/look very secure, but I haven't had them more around or slip off.  I'd like to find a way to make it look nicer, but I haven't thought of anything.

I replaced the Alpha Pads with the ZMF Cowhide pads - very similar sound, perhaps slightly better on the ZMF. Here's a pic

Aug 27, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #533 of 756
I removed the plastic mounting rings that you put the pads on, but kept on the plastic rings that screw onto the baffle.  The pads stay on just from the tight fit over the cups.  Might not sound/look very secure, but I haven't had them more around or slip off.  I'd like to find a way to make it look nicer, but I haven't thought of anything.

I replaced the Alpha Pads with the ZMF Cowhide pads - very similar sound, perhaps slightly better on the ZMF. Here's a pic

Whoa, crazy, does this ruin the pads? Say I want to switch back to clips, seems like it would make the lip unusable.

I think it looks pretty good actually.

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #535 of 756
Whoa, crazy, does this ruin the pads? Say I want to switch back to clips, seems like it would make the lip unusable.

I think it looks pretty good actually.

It definitely stretches the lips more than normal if you keep them on there for a long time.  But if you try it out for a few days or whatever and decide to go back to using the rings, the pad lips pretty much go back to their normal size.  Personally I found the improvement significant enough that I don't even worry about going back to the rings.

Mar 4, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #537 of 756
I bought some very nice ZMF cowhide pads.  Much more comfortable than the stock pads.  Great value for money given the quality and the fact that they are half the the price of some competitors.  I also thought the sound became more focused.  Quick delivery to the UK as well.

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #538 of 756
So, a quick question about Hifiman earpads. I know that the mounting rings on the old hifiman pads are easily removeable, but on the angled VelPads (stock on the HE400S) they are glued on. How are they on the FocusPads? From photos it looks like they might be removeable, but couldn't tell for sure.

Mar 16, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #539 of 756
Get the leather pads, their cheaper, and the rings are removable.

Mar 16, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #540 of 756
Does anyone make any replacement rings or has anyone 3d printed rings that just screw on? I hate the stock ones.

Oh wow, I knew about this for a while, yet many had questions about it: you can trim the mounting rings with some sharp scissors and cut the outer edges, just don't cut the layer with the mounting hooks. I did this for the rings to fit some Beyer velour ear pads and the fit worked very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back