Mini-Review: iBasso T3 portable amp
Dec 20, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #61 of 158
I can definitely vouch for the D4 as I have one
smily_headphones1.gif
, i'am very sure the T3 would be very nice too, anyone know what is the rated output power of the T3.

Dec 21, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #62 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the T3 to the T3D. The T3 has a bit more open sound, more liquid and there is a slight edge on the high frequency not heard, by me, on the T3D. I really, really like the digital volume control and the way it works and the fact that you really can't accidently change it, like the Shadow, but it gives up a little on the sound. For walking around I like the T3D fine but for sitting down and really hearing well recorded music the T3 has the edge.

Thanks for the response. Any idea (approximately) how many steps are on the digital volume control?

I'm having a hard time deciding which, if either, to get. I hate that the T3D is both more expensive and inferior sounding. But I think the T3D may suit my needs better, as it will be tossed in my pocket at work and I seem to be working a variety of positions, some which have me up and moving around all day. I also doubt I would really notice a difference between the sound of the two amps personally, as I'm not going to be sitting down and JUST listening to music at any point.

I'm also considering waiting to see how the Fiio E7 turns out, as the addition of the DAC would be nice for use with my computer. But after several delays, who knows when that will actually show up or if it will even be in the same ballpark as the T3 given the predicted price point of 80 dollars. Suppose there's no reason I couldn't get both
redface.gif

And finally, not to be a pest, but have you had the opportunity to pair the T3 with the TripleFi 10 yet Larry?

Dec 21, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #63 of 158
The T3D doesn't sound quite as good as the T3 but it still sound very good and frankly the option of having a volume control that doesn't change unless you want it to is nice at times. It is a solid, easily recharge amp and is, importantly, musical.

Dec 21, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #64 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by mesasone /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And finally, not to be a pest, but have you had the opportunity to pair the T3 with the TripleFi 10 yet Larry?

Not yet - haven't decided if I'm still giving the TF10Pro to my skullcandy-loving daughter, or maybe my son who has too many phones now, or myself for Xmas.

Dec 21, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #65 of 158
I've had my T3 for about a week now, stepping up from the great little E5 (even tho' the T3 is smaller, LOL). I have to be honest, that while the T3 is cleaner than the E5, I really have to be seriously listening to hear and appreciate that cleaner difference. And depending on the 'EQ' setting you use on the E5, it can sound a bit fuller and warmer than the T3, to me. The 4 gain settings of the T3 boosts the output and seems to maintain the same SQ mix. But the E5 will boost the bass a bit with one setting, and boost bass and treble both with the undocumented 'middle' toggle position.

So, I definitely do like the T3 -- but, I'll not get rid of the E5, as I am amazed more and more at the great value the $25 E5 is as a simple little portable amp. It's juicing my Sansa Fuze now!

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #66 of 158
Could someone please give me more details on the gain settings, do the different gains just amp the volume, apply eq settings or aid in better sq? how does each gain differ from the other?

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #67 of 158
The gain just changes the volume range of the T3 so that with stronger or weaker sources, or more efficient or less efficient phones, you wont find yourself with the volume almost near zero or almost near max when using it.

For example - With an HD600 in low gain you wont be playing loud enough when the volume knob is at max, but it will be great for a very efficient IEM where you listen with the volume closer to the bottom half of the knob's range. Move it up to 2nd or 3rd gain setting and now you can get max volume with the HD600 just below clipping, but with very sensitive IEM it might get too loud too fast as you move the volume up from zero. If your source puts out a weak musical signal you could go up to 4th gain setting, and it will bump the weaker source levels up louder so that you can still get near max volume with the HD600.

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #68 of 158
I just received the T3 today. It really is teeny tiny lol. Wow, what a sound! I expected good things due to all the reviews and the fact that it's an ibasso, but Wow! This is good.
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #69 of 158
hi,

i'm still new to the audio equipment scene.. yesterday i just got my T3 and i've been trying it out with my DAP's:

1. sansa clip+ using headphone out --> T3, playing mp3 v0 and flac encoded songs.. 50% volume on clip+ and 6-8 volume with 0 gain on T3

2. iphone 3g using apple universal dock's line out --> T3, playing aac itunes plus encoded songs.. 2-3 volume with 0 gain on T3

yuin OK2 earbuds are used for both setup's.. so far i couldn't really tell the difference with or without the T3 so far.. i understand that the OK2's are easy to drive so it does not benefit much from an amp.. but can someone point out certain things i should try to listen for with/without the T3? (i.e. bass, highs..?)

thanks!

Dec 31, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #70 of 158
After two or three weeks of hemming and hawing around, I've just ordered an iBasso T3. I thought and thought and thought about whether to get the T3 or T3D, but I just couldn't see paying an extra 15 dollars to get an amp that sounds even slightly worse just to get the digital volume control. I also wasn't sure how fine the steps where with the digital control, since nobody seemed to respond to that question. Ah well.

I wonder about the practicality of the digital volume control on this amp, given A) it uses a dial and not a rotary knob like many other amps appear to, B) that the controls look recessed so they would seem to be unlikely to change when in your pocket, and C) they use a high quality pot and are selective about which ones actually end up in their amps, and as such the problems with channel balance are very limited/non-existent.

Anyway, thanks for the responses guys and now the wait begins! (Oh, and I'm still open to listening impressions of the T3 and TF10 combo!
o2smile.gif
)

Dec 31, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #71 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShenaRingo326 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi,

i'm still new to the audio equipment scene.. yesterday i just got my T3 and i've been trying it out with my DAP's:

1. sansa clip+ using headphone out --> T3, playing mp3 v0 and flac encoded songs.. 50% volume on clip+ and 6-8 volume with 0 gain on T3

2. iphone 3g using apple universal dock's line out --> T3, playing aac itunes plus encoded songs.. 2-3 volume with 0 gain on T3

yuin OK2 earbuds are used for both setup's.. so far i couldn't really tell the difference with or without the T3 so far.. i understand that the OK2's are easy to drive so it does not benefit much from an amp.. but can someone point out certain things i should try to listen for with/without the T3? (i.e. bass, highs..?)

thanks!

How to listen for differences is a whole other discussion, and you could do a search. However, I have to wonder if your OK2 are the weak link in the chain. I don't know if they are good enough to appreciate even subtle improvements in micro-detail, ambience air and space or imaging (I have not heard them). Certainly you should appreciate the additional power if you have headphones that are not as efficient as some others.

Dec 31, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #72 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would put the Pico and D4 on a higher level than the T3, into what I call my top tier portable amps. Top tier is those amps that seem to have a fuller more complete sound and presentation or refinement, with few compromises heard. Just based on the sound of the amps that I have heard, I include the Pico, Predator, P-51, D4 and D10, Micro Amp, 3MOVE, and XM5 in my top tier amps. (D2 Viper with LM6172 would move from 2nd tier to top tier, but it's discontinued)

I put the iBasso T3, T4, D1, D2, D3, P2, Headsix, Headstage, Vivid V1, Nuforce Icon Mobile in the 2nd tier amp group, which are nice amps but they tend to compromise in one or more areas of sound. The compromise might be in detail and transparency, neutrality, bass presentation (sloppy or weak or boosted), too forward or too recessed in the mids or soundstage, colorations or treble roll-off, etc.

So, within those tiers some are better than others. For most of my ranking you could see my big USB DAC/amp review. Where I put the T3 as an amp in the 2nd tier is with the D3, Headsix, Headstage Lyrix Pro or opamp rolled D1; and a little above the stock D1, stock D2 Viper, D2 Boa, T4, Nuforce or V1. The T3 drops to 2nd tier based on it's detail and transparency vs the top tier amps like Pico, etc, but not based on colorations or frequency response issues.

another great review,

i was thinking about gettin a d4 to compete with my predator for rmy portable dac, how big are they comparatively? which is moer powerful, which do u like more?
i think the predator sounds alright, but not really with my denon's as much as id like,but im interested in a thicker soundiing dac.
i was about to try the d10, buti worry it may be to big compareed to predator.
if only the d10 had somw preouts
thanks

Dec 31, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #73 of 158
I have to be honest, that while the T3 is cleaner than the E5, I really have to be seriously listening to hear and appreciate that cleaner difference. And depending on the 'EQ' setting you use on the E5, it can sound a bit fuller and warmer than the T3, to me. The 4 gain settings of the T3 boosts the output and seems to maintain the same SQ mix. But the E5 will boost the bass a bit with one setting, and boost bass and treble both with the undocumented 'middle' toggle position.

I am not familiar with the undocumented 'middle' toggle position. On my E5 the bass boost switch only has one position. Can you tell me about this undocumented position.

So, I definitely do like the T3 -- but, I'll not get rid of the E5, as I am amazed more and more at the great value the $25 E5 is as a simple little portable amp. It's juicing my Sansa Fuze now!

I really like the neutral sound character of the E5. It has plenty of power for the IEM's it is designed for, has a built in charger that I wish the ibasso D4 had, bass boost if you need it, AND a digital volume control. The added cost for the T3D digital over the standard T3 could purchase a new E5 that comes with a useful digital volume control standard. Perhaps due to it's scary low cost, I do not think the E5 gets the love it deserves. The $18 E5 plus the $99 Triple.fi's get you 90% of the sound quality of portable amp and IEM combinations that cost in the $600-$800 range a few short years ago.

These are the good times for music lovers.

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #75 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinCannoisseur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
another great review,

i was thinking about gettin a d4 to compete with my predator for rmy portable dac, how big are they comparatively? which is moer powerful, which do u like more?

D4 is a little more powerful, and really takes off in 9v mode, but the T3 is very close to the D4 5v mode. The D4 is 1/4" wider and about 1" deeper if you count the longer volume knob and the screws that hold the battery cover on the D4. The T3 is tiny in comparsion, with about 1/3 the cubic volume of the Predator (but no DAC). I prefer the D4 by a small margin, but more so with the topkit installed in the D4.

i think the predator sounds alright, but not really with my denon's as much as id like,but im interested in a thicker soundiing dac.
i was about to try the d10, buti worry it may be to big compareed to predator.
if only the d10 had somw preouts
thanks

I don't know what you mean by thicker sounding DAC, and that may be too subjective of a description for me to use with anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back