Mini Review: Bada PH-12
Feb 17, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #166 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Those who reject any difference of opinion stay imprisoned in their ignorance.

As I often have said, the SA5000 is the best dynamic headphone for under$2000 . . . .

Art: Yes, I am offering a difference of opinion in relation to the opinion held by many. Those who reject my opinion without a thorough examination of it could remain in ignorance, but only if I am right.

Then perhaps we have identified the cause of much of the problem. If you qualified the absolutist statements that you frequently make about this or that headphone or this or that amp being "the best" at a certain price, or "the best" at any price, by stating that these are "your opinions," then I think a lot of folks might take your comments differently and the discussions would be more civil. I don't think anyone begrudges you your opinion; but I do think people get exercised when you express them as if they are undeniable fact. Just a suggestion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #167 of 244
I think it's safe to say we've all given up.

Feb 18, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #168 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
I've had one for a while and I love it.
biggrin.gif

Do you know if it is Class A, or is it AB, and does it use negative feedback in the amplification stage?

What tubes? EH Gold or just EH?

Feb 18, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #169 of 244
Quote:

Do you know if it is Class A, or is it AB, and does it use negative feedback in the amplification stage?

I have no idea.

Quote:

What tubes? EH Gold or just EH?

There are two versions of the amp. The HP-200 and HP-200se. The se version uses high quality caps, jack, etc. and comes with Electro Harmonix gold pins.

Feb 18, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #171 of 244
I did some search for Chinese webpages to see of there is any review of Bada PH-12. I could only find one link: http://www.hifi-china.com/showarticle.asp?id=2531

The reviewer thinks BADA PH-12 is a very good match with the inexpensive Sennheiser HD215 (~$90). As usual, 99% of audio press reviews in Chinese likes to pile a lot of praise on the gear without offering any perspective by comparison to similar prodcuts, so it is not too useful. The reviewer also mentioned that PH-12 drove HD600 well, but in the end he felt PH-12 is an amp that matches HD215 in terms of price and peformance.

The last sentences of the review reads like this:

[Chinese] PH-12则适合于拥有ipod、MP3或CD随身听的时尚年轻人,或者希望能有品味,但又不是“彻底”发烧的朋 友,这二款时尚、方便、声音又不错的耳机放大器及耳机,价格又合理,还能再要求什么呢?[/Chinese]

"PH-12 is suitable for fashionable young people who use iPod, MP3 or portable CD players, or those who want good taste, but not in pursuit of "absolute" hi-end. These headphone amplifier and headphone [HD 215] are stylish, convenient, pretty good sounding, and reasonably priced--what more can one ask?"

Feb 18, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #173 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
I did some search for Chinese webpages to see of there is any review of Bada PH-12. I could only find one link: http://www.hifi-china.com/showarticle.asp?id=2531

The reviewer thinks BADA PH-12 is a very good match with the inexpensive Sennheiser HD215 (~$90). As usual, 99% of audio press reviews in Chinese likes to pile a lot of praise on the gear without offering any perspective by comparison to similar prodcuts, so it is not too useful. The reviewer also mentioned that PH-12 drove HD600 well, but in the end he felt PH-12 is an amp that matches HD215 in terms of price and peformance.

[Chinese] PH-12则适合于拥有ipod、MP3或CD随身听的时尚年轻人,或者希望能有品味,但又不是“彻底”发烧的朋 友,这二款时尚、方便、声音又不错的耳机放大器及耳机,价格又合理,还能再要求什么呢?[/Chinese]

"PH-12 is suitable for fashionable young people who use iPod, MP3 or portable CD players, or those who want good taste, but not in pursuit of "absolute" hi-end. These headphone amplifier and headphone [HD 215] are stylish, convenient, pretty good sounding, and reasonably priced--what more can one ask?"

which one can take to mean PH-12 kinda sucked.

Feb 18, 2006 at 8:04 AM Post #174 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
which one can take to mean PH-12 kinda sucked.

I have never heard the amp myself, so I am just faithfully transmitting the information I found. BTW, I am a native Chinese speaker, so I can assure you the translation is very accurate.

Feb 18, 2006 at 8:37 AM Post #176 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
Although " 或者希望能有品味 " could also be read as, "or hope they have good taste"
biggrin.gif

LOL, don't we all hope that?
tongue.gif

Feb 18, 2006 at 9:16 AM Post #177 of 244
Long long ago, one guy declaimed that he was very beautiful! but no one had seen him, people wanted to meet him, but he rejected their invitation and said people would say no when people saw him because people would not see him clear.
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

[size=large]It is so weird!

Dr. Right, pls ships the amp to the meet![/size]

Feb 18, 2006 at 9:57 AM Post #178 of 244
I have to agree with Art -- I cannot get proper impressions of anything but the grossest, most obvious and (ultimately) the least important differences between gear in a meet setting. Like him, it takes me about a week to decide whether I like a component or not, and meet impressions are entertaining but quite useless. Just my opinion.

Feb 18, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #179 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose

Art: Yes but this review was using three Shuguang 6N8P tubes. This is the worst tube set up with the Bada - gives a hard sound with a lack of tone body. I never use this set up and would prefer the $325 Ming Da (Meixing) MC66AE to the Bada PH12 with this tube set up.

Feb 18, 2006 at 2:01 PM Post #180 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I have to agree with Art -- I cannot get proper impressions of anything but the grossest, most obvious and (ultimately) the least important differences between gear in a meet setting. Like him, it takes me a solid week to decide whether I like a component or not, and meet impressions are entertaining but quite useless. Just my opinion.

Art: I knew my comments against meet listening would be understood by some of you. Glad I am not the only one that doesn't jump to quick conclusions with a limited audition.

Now a brief audition works when the differences are big - like comparing a Sony EX71 earbud set to an expensive headphone when the source and amp are top rate. That can be done in seconds. Or even comparing a NAD CD player to a E5 will likely reveal the superiority of the E5 in a matter of minutes if not seconds.

People talk about how much the sound improves with burn-in when it often is a matter of more experience with the component.

Hasn't anyone ever come to really like a component (new or used) more as they listened to it?

The auditory perceptual process is tricky. It has to have an extensive memory store in order to make fine but important discriminations. This can take a week or more of listening to the same set up to discern subtle characteristics.

Years ago I conducted an experiment with a friend who was listening blind as I switched between a CD and a tape recording of that CD. The tape playing and CD playing were in synch with each other. Sometimes I switched the preamp input selector from A (CD) back to A again, and sometimes from A to B (Tape), and did the same with B. We did this for an hour and he made no improvement during that time - he was unable to tell which was CD sound and which was Tape sound. He thought he was correctly identifying which was playing at any given time, but I recorded his responses in relation to what was being played and he averaged about 50% correct - chance results.

Now if we had done the same test, but listening to A (and only A) for a week, then the same with B, then repeated the initial test, I bet his ability to distinguish the CD from the Tape would have been statistically significant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back