Mini Guide for Buying a Headphone
Jan 2, 2012 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Notwist

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I'm new to this hobby. After browsing head-fi forums and numerious reviews for hours, visiting Guitar Center and J&R countless times to test different headphones I got some lessons learned as a non-audiophile. I don't know many terms, I have no idea how to read frequency graphs but I'm in love with music and play guitar and piano. I would like to share them here since I'm sure there are many people like me visiting forums and looking for clues to what to buy. I just hope this may help some people. English is my second language so please bear with me.

- Read forums to get a general idea. Everybody might agree Headphone A is better than Headphone B on forums but you may find out that you clearly prefer Headphone B which costs half of Headphone A. Music Taste and sound signatures are highly subjective. Visit music stores and test the headphones, or buy from a merchant who has no-hassle refund policy. After reading so much headphone reviews I was shocked to find out I liked a $200 headphone much more than the all-mighty D7000 and HD 650 when I tested them in store. Im in no way claiming D7000 is inferior, even comparing them might be a sin but I enjoyed the cheap one much more than others. Expensive or well reviewed might not mean its better for you.

- I thought amps were just a luxury and they didn't make huge difference but I was wrong. Even my chepo E6 made a huge difference.

- Don't underestimate the importance of comfort. I have both HFI-780 and DT770. I think both are multifunctional. I can use HFI-780's mighty clamping force and killer headband to torture my wife, DT770 can be used as a pillow when I go to camping. I read the reviews about HFI-780's lack of comfort and thought " how bad could it be, its okay as long as it sounds good". I was dead wrong. Now comfort is the most important thing for me, when it comes to buying a new headphone. HFI-780 is going back.

- When you finally decide what to buy, do your research well. There are some pretty good deals on internet. Second hand from ebay is also a good option. B&H, EBAY, Amazon, J&R and Guitar Center are all worth checking out.

Thats about it for now. If you have any questions in general, or about DT770, M50, S840 or HFI-780, just let me know...

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 13
I'm so glad you put up this 'mini guide' and I absolutely agree with your point about comfort.
I'm trying to get some new headphones right now, and am looking for the most comfortable pair for less than $200, without sacrificing SQ.
What are your thoughts on the M50 in terms of comfort?  I heard they can be a bit tight, but loosen up if you stretch them a bit.  Still, if you know of any very comfortable cans out there in my price range, please do let me know!

Thanks!

Jan 16, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
I'm so glad you put up this 'mini guide' and I absolutely agree with your point about comfort.
I'm trying to get some new headphones right now, and am looking for the most comfortable pair for less than $200, without sacrificing SQ.
What are your thoughts on the M50 in terms of comfort?  I heard they can be a bit tight, but loosen up if you stretch them a bit.  Still, if you know of any very comfortable cans out there in my price range, please do let me know!

Thanks!

After over 1300 hours now on my M50, they still hurt after about half an hour. If comfort is important, get a Fischer Audio FA-003. After stretching them over something, it's like wearing clouds.

Jan 16, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 13
Goodness, I hadn't even heard of the FA-003 until you recc'ed it.  I looked up reviews and it seems like most people are absolutely satisfied with the comfort.  It certainly looks like it too, with those huge earmuff-like cups!  I wonder if Audio Technica ATH AD700 can beat FA-003 in terms of comfort...
And it's almost exactly what I wanted...closed cans with great soundstage and fairly nice isolation, from what I've read.  I will definitely look into these!
Any idea where I can get them though?  It doesn't look like Amazon carries them, and I'm not familiar with any other reliable sellers.
Thanks so much!

Jan 16, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 13
Hey guys, I am going to get a set of hd650 and dt880 pro 600 ohm headphones, could you suggest a good desktop amp dac combo for them, preferably under 400 usd???? Help will be appreciated

Jan 16, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #6 of 13
Schiit Asgard = $250
HRT Music Streamer II DAC = $150

Total = $400.  You won't do much better for $400.

Quote:
Hey guys, I am going to get a set of hd650 and dt880 pro 600 ohm headphones, could you suggest a good desktop amp dac combo for them, preferably under 400 usd???? Help will be appreciated

Jan 17, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #8 of 13
Any idea where I can get FA-003?  I checked Frogbeats (out of stock) and Amazon (doesn't carry).
Thanks in advance!

Edit: Oh, I just saw that gd-audiobase sells them for $155, so I guess the question now is if that's a good price?
Thanks again!

Jan 17, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #9 of 13
jeng8  Did you see this thread about the FA-003, Brainwavz HM5 and Lindy headphones?  They seem to be the same headphone.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/591028/on-the-hm5-fa-003-lindy-hi-fi-thing

The Brainwavz is currently out of stock at Amazon, and MP4Nation won't be shipping any out till next month. 

Lindy (UK) has their version in stock.  http://www.lindy.co.uk/premium-hi-fi-headphones/20378.html

Jan 17, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
Any idea where I can get FA-003?  I checked Frogbeats (out of stock) and Amazon (doesn't carry).
Thanks in advance!

Edit: Oh, I just saw that gd-audiobase sells them for $155, so I guess the question now is if that's a good price?
Thanks again!

Both LINDY and Brainwavz make a version of the headphone (the Premium Hi-Fi and the HM5, respectively), and both are cheaper. However, they all seem to be out of stock everywhere at the moment, and you may have to just order and wait for stock to come back in.

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 13
Thank you to both Kerry and ssrock!  I looked up reviews on both the Hi-Fi and HM5 and it seems you're quite right about them being the same as FA-003.  I'm 95% sure I'm going to get these for myself now...just have to find the right place/time.  Looks like the Hi-Fi is in stock at least.  So excited, thanks so much!

Edit: Oh look, the HM5's on preorder too, I forgot.  Looks like they're all around $120 give or take 10.

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #12 of 13
Do you guys think an amp is necessary with the FA-003/Hi-Fi/HM5?  I think I've decided to go with the HM5, and there are 3 options for amps:

http://mp4nation.net/catalog/brainwavz-hm5-studio-monitor-headphones-preorder-p-663.html

I think I read that someone (ssrock, maybe it was you) recommend the FiiO E6 at one point...so I guess my question is if an amp is needed, and if so, what would you recommend at a relatively cheap price?

Thanks (again)!

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Do you guys think an amp is necessary with the FA-003/Hi-Fi/HM5?  I think I've decided to go with the HM5, and there are 3 options for amps:

http://mp4nation.net/catalog/brainwavz-hm5-studio-monitor-headphones-preorder-p-663.html

I think I read that someone (ssrock, maybe it was you) recommend the FiiO E6 at one point...so I guess my question is if an amp is needed, and if so, what would you recommend at a relatively cheap price?

Thanks (again)!

While not absolutely necessary, an amp will really make the FA-003/HM5/Premium Hi-Fi shine. I personally use my JDS Labs CMoyBB 2.03 or Headroom Bithead, and prefer the CMoy. However, the FiiO E10 is quite well-regarded (while I cannot personally comment on it as I've not owned it). If you really want to make the cans sound sweet, Fischer Audio offers a specialized amp, the Mystify, which pairs exceedingly well with the FA-003. However, I doubt you want a $280 amp, so I'd personally recommend the CMoyBB. If you can only choose off the list you've provided, go E10. If you're on a budget, the E6 will do just fine, if not to bring out the absolute best of the can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back