Mini Dac TDA1543 X 4 NOS
Jul 19, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #542 of 1,063
2.2µF will NOT be fine. You'll suffer serious bass rolloff (-3dB @100Hz or worse). Read a few pages back (P17 by T.IIZUKA) and you can see actual measurements with 4.7 10 and 33µF.

Looking at the size of them I wouldn't opt for those Solens. They sound bad IMO and won't fit in the case. If you are planning on connecting them external better some Obbligatos or similar good MKP's, or PiO's (if you can get them that high).

Soundwise the best cap is still no cap.

Jul 19, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #543 of 1,063

Quote:
2.2µF will NOT be fine. You'll suffer serious bass rolloff (-3dB @100Hz or worse). Read a few pages back (P17 by T.IIZUKA) and you can see actual measurements with 4.7 10 and 33µF.

Looking at the size of them I wouldn't opt for those Solens. They sound bad IMO and won't fit in the case. If you are planning on connecting them external better some Obbligatos or similar good MKP's, or PiO's (if you can get them that high).

You mean this MKP cap is bad? It's hard for me to find a PiO capacitor, can you recommend me other cap?

Jul 20, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #544 of 1,063

Quote:

If he is using 10uf to get acceptable bass roll-off, I do not what he is driving. Must be some pretty low input impedance.

With 10uf and normal 50K ohm impedance, the corner frequency is 0.32HZ.
rolleyes.gif
  He must be driving 1k ohm input impedance to have about 20HZ corner frequency, that is abnormally low.

A 2.2uf with 50K impedance, it is 1.4HZ. Calculate for yourself:
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-RCpad.htm

Personally, I have no issues getting good bass with 2.2uf coupling capacitors.

As for the capacitor Proid would like to use, those are more than adequate, even high end DACs would be lucky to have that kind of quality MKP caps. The stuff you are suggesting are exotic stuff that may or may not have much benefit.

Jul 20, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #545 of 1,063
I did give a sensible alternative. Obbligato caps are not that exotic. Just very good MKP's. Or take a good mkp and bridge it with a nice small PiO or w/e is best. And if you can; take it out alltogether.

I don't care that much about calculations if someone already measured for me. If there's a 10µF in there, don't you think those cheap Chinese wouldn't have replaced with a smaller one if possible? Replace same with same. Assumption is the mother of all f%%kups.

Jul 20, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #546 of 1,063

Quote:
Prat is good :)

From the 6moons review:
The Octave blocks the light. For those accustomed to digital transparency where sharpness, speed and high contrast are king, this will be different. Going from the Octave to that would seem like a quickening but also thinner and diluted. Going from that to the Octave will seem meatier. Music will be in repose rather than attack mode. By extension the experiencer will feel rooted and grounded, not suspended. Even so with the Octave silvery decays of triangles are very long and the harmonics which determine instrumental timbre are clearly richer. It's not farfetched to say that this color richness mirrors why people usually pursue valves.  SOURCE

This kind of mirrors my experience when comparing the Naim DAC with the muse. The Naim is a "warm" OS dac (and BTW - Naim is King of PRAT), and I imagine the difference would be greater with most other OS dacs. The Naim had dry texture, the Muse had warm timbre... but the differences were often slight, and not always easy to identify blind... Didn't get to compare the Naim with the Metrum Quad- but it sounds very much like the muse. I'll report when I get around to compare the Muse and the Metrum Quad.

Is it safe to asume the metrum holds up to the naim dac? I found a Naim dac for 1400eu(2500 new) orso used.
I was considering a metrum octave because a new naim was out of reach. 

Jul 21, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #547 of 1,063

[size=medium]
Both the naim and the metrum are great dacs. Metrum is more warm, grounded and excels at "timbre", naim is drier, airer. Again: 
For those accustomed to digital transparency where sharpness, speed and high contrast are king, this will be different. Going from the Octave to that would seem like a quickening but also thinner and diluted. Going from that to the Octave will seem meatier. Music will be in repose rather than attack mode. By extension the experiencer will feel rooted and grounded, not suspended.

[/size]

but the Niam is a warmer sounding os dac than most - and excels at prat etc. I prefer the sound of the Muse/Metrum - but can appreciate the naim also. If there was a switch on my dac that said "naim"mode - I would use it sometimes, altough I prefer the Metrum overall (without considering the price difference)

The Metrum/Muse is also very less fatiguing to listen to with headphones. I couldn't use the T1 with the Naim, but they worked with the Muse. Even if the sound was quite similar, there were something that made the Naim/T1 combinationfatuiging.  

Naim has 8 inputs and work with a naim remote and is built like a tank. So functionality is better with the Naim - if you need it... 

Quote:

Is it safe to asume the metrum holds up to the naim dac? I found a Naim dac for 1400eu(2500 new) orso used.
I was considering a metrum octave because a new naim was out of reach. 

Jul 22, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #548 of 1,063
Just received my 3rd dac, and to my surprise the pcb is white and muse replaced some caps. The panasonic was replaced by a sanyo and the elnas were replaced by nichicon FW ( IMO we have a downgrade in caps.. but anyway I was going to substitute then 
biggrin.gif
)

Lets se if it works! 

Jul 25, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #549 of 1,063

[size=medium]
My Muse 4x TDA1543 arived just yet. Plugged it in and it said "PFT" as my cd player started reading a disc. Smoke emited from the RCA connectors...... That was quick, only lasted like 10 second. Dire straits aint that bad to make a dac go up in smoke. Havent opened it up yet.
Gonna send that guy a email.
[/size]

Jul 25, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #550 of 1,063

Oh that was so unfortunate. To be safer next time, you should purchase another 9v 1000mA wallmart for it, and it does reduce significantly overheat issue as well. Good luck!
Quote:

[size=medium]
My Muse 4x TDA1543 arived just yet. Plugged it in and it said "PFT" as my cd player started reading a disc. Smoke emited from the RCA connectors...... That was quick, only lasted like 10 second. Dire straits aint that bad to make a dac go up in smoke. Havent opened it up yet.
Gonna send that guy a email.
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back