Mini Dac TDA1543 X 4 NOS
Jul 8, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #526 of 1,063

Quote:
Well, I dont plan to buy an external PSU. I really like the sound when using my 12V SLA battery.
As soon as receive my new unit Im going to publish here all my evil mods 
very_evil_smiley.gif
( if the third survives LOL) ..including a solution to LM heat.

Looking forward to seeing your further mods!

Jul 12, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #529 of 1,063
Prat is good :)

From the 6moons review:
The Octave blocks the light. For those accustomed to digital transparency where sharpness, speed and high contrast are king, this will be different. Going from the Octave to that would seem like a quickening but also thinner and diluted. Going from that to the Octave will seem meatier. Music will be in repose rather than attack mode. By extension the experiencer will feel rooted and grounded, not suspended. Even so with the Octave silvery decays of triangles are very long and the harmonics which determine instrumental timbre are clearly richer. It's not farfetched to say that this color richness mirrors why people usually pursue valves.  SOURCE

This kind of mirrors my experience when comparing the Naim DAC with the muse. The Naim is a "warm" OS dac (and BTW - Naim is King of PRAT), and I imagine the difference would be greater with most other OS dacs. The Naim had dry texture, the Muse had warm timbre... but the differences were often slight, and not always easy to identify blind... Didn't get to compare the Naim with the Metrum Quad- but it sounds very much like the muse. I'll report when I get around to compare the Muse and the Metrum Quad.

Jul 12, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #530 of 1,063
Looking forward to your comparisons, I'm interested in that Quad also :)

Jul 14, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #532 of 1,063
After reading 4 pages i'm gonna get the x4 one and see if i come to same conclusion compared to the dacmagic as you guys.
I am considering the Metrum Octave with PSU. 60 bucks is easier to swallow than 845eu(black version). And if i cant stand this one i probably wont have to bother with the metrum :)

Nice find SPwild!

Jul 15, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #533 of 1,063
Quote:
 I'll report when I get around to compare the Muse and the Metrum Quad.

Waiting on this since you bought one in January.

I was originally shooting for the EE minimax but the Octave looks compelling.

What I'm most concerned about is the 6 moons review doesn't talk about resolution/detail as much as I wished.  I greatly enjoy listening to my turntable set up but don't like to sacrifice the details and dynamics at all.

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #534 of 1,063

Quote:
After reading 4 pages i'm gonna get the x4 one and see if i come to same conclusion compared to the dacmagic as you guys.
I am considering the Metrum Octave with PSU. 60 bucks is easier to swallow than 845eu(black version). And if i cant stand this one i probably wont have to bother with the metrum :)

Nice find SPwild!

Look forward to your thoughts.  Recent impressions have been sparse.

Jul 16, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #535 of 1,063
Well - I feel the pressure. I'll get into it. (...in august.....)

When I a/b-ed them initially, they felt quite similar, and I planned to do this very thourugh blind a-b session with a pal and we never got to it, yet. And I'm perfectly happy with both - having them in two different rigs. 

Quote:
Waiting on this since you bought one in January.

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #537 of 1,063

Quote:
Then I got one HI-FI DIR9001+ 4X TDA1543 parallel connection NOS DAC on my way, gonna pair it with a Schiit Asgard, anyone tried that? 

Asgard sounded to me like a warm amp, the Mini DAC is also warm.  It will benefit the K701 tremendously IMO...the HD555 will lean towards more like the HD650 in terms of tonality which may or may not be to your tastes.

Jul 19, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #538 of 1,063
Hi - long time lurker. After reading all (well most - a lot went over my head...) of this, I got one of the Muse units.

Running via optical out from my Mac Mini and feeding my old Kenwood receiver and Goodman speakers. So far so good. 

Sounds pretty bright still - maybe will calm down with some burn in?

But the reason I'm posting is to ask if I should be worried about the condition it turned up in - ie showing clear signs of being stored badly. It was a bit grubby, the case screws had some rust and when I opened it the solders on the back of the board were tarnished/discoloured. The two little bolts holding the cover down over the DAC chips had some rust.

Is it likely to be damaged or compromised? It seems to play fine... There is a certain amount of hassle and lost postage in sending it back, waiting weeks etc etc etc... 

Jul 19, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #539 of 1,063
Yes, the unit needs burn in.... sounds harsh when new. 

The building and finishing quality are not the strogest point of muse...If its still working, no problem at all.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Hi - long time lurker. After reading all (well most - a lot went over my head...) of this, I got one of the Muse units.

Running via optical out from my Mac Mini and feeding my old Kenwood receiver and Goodman speakers. So far so good. 

Sounds pretty bright still - maybe will calm down with some burn in?

But the reason I'm posting is to ask if I should be worried about the condition it turned up in - ie showing clear signs of being stored badly. It was a bit grubby, the case screws had some rust and when I opened it the solders on the back of the board were tarnished/discoloured. The two little bolts holding the cover down over the DAC chips had some rust.

Is it likely to be damaged or compromised? It seems to play fine... There is a certain amount of hassle and lost postage in sending it back, waiting weeks etc etc etc... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back