Mini Dac TDA1543 X 4 NOS
Jun 23, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #511 of 1,063

Quote:
Why not to prove they are fakes, instead of saying there is a good chance that are not genuine.
Raindrop is really a good seller...honest seller. Lukasz Fikus lampized a couple of raindrop boards and not even mentioned the idea of fake components.. neither a single capacitor nor the DAC itself. I prefer to believe in my ears and in Lukas option 
L3000.gif

I am not saying Raindrop boards are not good boards, nor am I saying he is not an 'honest' seller per se - I have bought several boards from him in the past (TDA1541, AD1865) and he is very nice and responsive. They are well built and sound very good. However, the fact remains there are *many* fake NOS DAC chips out there. Given how hard it is to find genuine *inexpensive* AD1865 chips OUTSIDE of China, I am very skeptical. Maybe he's sitting on an old stockpile of TDA1541 and AD1865. I could be wrong; but do a search on diyaudio or elsewhere on fake chips to get informed. Yes Lukasz is great. I also did Lukasz' mod on my AD1865, but just because he didn't compare to see if the chip is fake does not mean it isn't. Anyway how would you know if the chip is fake or not if you haven't compared? All I am saying is it is better to be on the safe side and make sure... That said, even if the Raindrop AD1865 is fake it *does* sound very good
tongue.gif

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #512 of 1,063
rolleyes.gif
yeah ...

Quote:

I am not saying Raindrop boards are not good boards, nor am I saying he is not an 'honest' seller per se - I have bought several boards from him in the past (TDA1541, AD1865) and he is very nice and responsive. They are well built and sound very good. However, the fact remains there are *many* fake NOS DAC chips out there. Given how hard it is to find genuine *inexpensive* AD1865 chips OUTSIDE of China, I am very skeptical. Maybe he's sitting on an old stockpile of TDA1541 and AD1865. I could be wrong; but do a search on diyaudio or elsewhere on fake chips to get informed. Yes Lukasz is great. I also did Lukasz' mod on my AD1865, but just because he didn't compare to see if the chip is fake does not mean it isn't. Anyway how would you know if the chip is fake or not if you haven't compared? All I am saying is it is better to be on the safe side and make sure... That said, even if the Raindrop AD1865 is fake it *does* sound very good
tongue.gif

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #513 of 1,063
I can see opamps easily faked by re-marking. Their packagings are identical.
But faking DACs, that might be a stretch. Considering the packaging varies, fakers must be pretty resourceful to pull it off. Most likely their efforts will not be very profitable, due to the small market for them. I am sure there are plenty of sources of these 'out-of-date' DACs from surplus houses, service departments and electronics salvage yards.

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #514 of 1,063

Quote:
I can see opamps easily faked by re-marking. Their packagings are identical.
But faking DACs, that might be a stretch. Considering the packaging varies, fakers must be pretty resourceful to pull it off. Most likely their efforts will not be very profitable, due to the small market for them. I am sure there are plenty of sources of these 'out-of-date' DACs from surplus houses, service departments and electronics salvage yards.

There are plenty of discussions on this topic in other forums. A simple search will suffice.

Jun 25, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #519 of 1,063
9V will resolve the heat issues 
9V will resolve the heat issue 
9V will resolve the heat issu 
9V will resolve the heat is 
9V will resolve the heat i 
9V will resolve the heat  
9V will resolve the hea
9V will resolve the he
9V will resolve the h
9V will resolve the 
9V will resolve th
9V will resolve t
9V will resolve
9V will resolv
9V will resol
9V will reso
9V will res
9V will re
9V will r
9V will
9V wil
9V wi
9V w
9V

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #521 of 1,063
I adjusted the Teradak PS to 10,5V and that completely took care of the heat issue. So just 10% off and you're fine.

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #523 of 1,063
Well, I dont plan to buy an external PSU. I really like the sound when using my 12V SLA battery.
As soon as receive my new unit Im going to publish here all my evil mods 
very_evil_smiley.gif
( if the third survives LOL) ..including a solution to LM heat.

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #524 of 1,063

Quote:
SP Wild said:
This "Octave" is extremely promising...great to read up on this company...this is very tightly engineered...is this THE ULTIMATE NOS DAC?  Or is Audio Note and Zanden the only way to go?  I am extremely interested...in the ULTIMATE NOS DAC. 
bigsmile_face.gif

The complete review of the Octave by 6moons is finished
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/metrum/1.html

It has received a Blue Moon Award.

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #525 of 1,063

TeraDak PSU is made to be adjusted manually -  8-13V - It delivers more than enough ampere. It is positive center. 
(it's called Upgraded Power Supply for Teralink X1 or X2 on ebay)
1000x500px-LL-e21e486e_1000x500px-LL-7486f4a6_TeraDak.jpg

I bought this PSU. Blue trafo is 9V that means it is 9V*1,42=12,78V output before stabilization. I don't know transistor dropout ( I hope it is very low drop ,less than 1V). Yes we can adjust to 13V but trafo is too small (voltage) and pushing PSU over 11V is too much. PSU will work but regulator might be not working properly. Am I wrong ?

I'm too lazy for A/B comparision teraPSU with my previous linear 20$ PSU ( my little mod with Nippon LXV cap).

BTW, TeraPSU is very well built but don't buy it for feeding Musical Fidelity V-DAC. LM7809 in V-DAC is 9V stabilizator with minimum 2V dropout .I think these specification is too high for Teradak PSU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back