Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Jul 4, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #3,512 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HELP!

I've finally built my SSMH, but it isn't working. Nor tubes glow, nor caps emit heat. Does anybody see where the problem might lie?

http://i44.tinypic.com/vcw13l.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2z6w55d.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/r9kaxi.jpg

It could be a couple of things:
1. I don't see any insulating pads under those MOSFETs. If they're not there, you've shorted the MOSFET tabs to ground - not a good thing.

2. There seems to be quite a few tabs on the power input jack. It's possible you haven't connected to the truly "live" terminals. Do you have 48VDC at the terminal block on the board?

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #3,513 of 7,277
EDIT: I've got it to work, however it's hissing as a snake and I seem to be getting metallic sound when I'm touching the pot, also some metallic sounds in the background of hiss. hmm.. Any ideas how to fix this?

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #3,514 of 7,277
Quote:

EDIT: I've got it to work, however it's hissing as a snake and I seem to be getting metallic sound when I'm touching the pot, also some metallic sounds in the background of hiss. hmm.. Any ideas how to fix this?

This is not telling us much - exactly what did you change? Obviously it's not working. The board has been thoroughly vetted, so it must be something in the connections.

Did you insulate those MOSFETs?
Did you check those input connectors?

It looks like you don't have a resistor installed at R16, but you have one at R17 - that will mess things up tremendously with the pot.

About that center standoff - what's underneath it? There is very little clearance around that center hole. If you used a large nut or washer, it's liable to be shorting against the adjacent traces.

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #3,515 of 7,277
Sorry for all the questions, but we need more feedback from you before suggesting a fix.
wink.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #3,516 of 7,277
Hmm, it's now working perfectly, no more hiss is present!

At first, as you suggested, I insulated the mosfets. Then I somehow managed to connect the power input right and all powered up. As might you know, then I experienced hiss, but when I swapped tubes, it started working like a champ!

Hmm, you're right, R16 doesn't have a resistor installed, but my pot seems allright at the moment - it has some hiss at very high volumes, but is silent at listening levels.
The standoff has nothing but some free space underneath it. The center hole is fixed with just a bolt and a nut, without any washers.
By the way, the voltage at socket pins is ~21V, and at mosfet pins it's ~30V, so I guess there are some blemishes, that need fixing.

At the moment the amp is burning in, and the sounds coming from it are superb, except one flaw: it has pretty shrill highs at the moment, but I hope it will mellow out in time

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #3,517 of 7,277
Quote:

Hmm, it's now working perfectly, no more hiss is present!

At first, as you suggested, I insulated the mosfets. Then I somehow managed to connect the power input right and all powered up. As might you know, then I experienced hiss, but when I swapped tubes, it started working like a champ!

Hmm, you're right, R16 doesn't have a resistor installed, but my pot seems allright at the moment - it has some hiss at very high volumes, but is silent at listening levels.
The standoff has nothing but some free space underneath it. The center hole is fixed with just a bolt and a nut, without any washers.
By the way, the voltage at socket pins is ~21V, and at mosfet pins it's ~30V, so I guess there are some blemishes, that need fixing.

At the moment the amp is burning in, and the sounds coming from it are superb, except one flaw: it has pretty shrill highs at the moment, but I hope it will mellow out in time

Well, it's good news that it seems to be working.

I'd get that resistor in there at R16. It could have disastrous effects on the sound balance.

It may sound shrill initially as the caps burn in, but I noticed you used 0.1uf Wima MKP10's. If I'm guessing right and that's what they are - you may lose some bass at the interstage coupling positions - that's where those caps are used to connect the tube stage to the MOSFETs. Less bass may make things sound a little more shrill. 0.1uf at the output bypasses will have negligible effects, but may sound less smooth than it could with 0.22uf's there.

About the voltages - I'm still confused with your power input socket. I believe that's a three-pole switched socket, in which case one lug should remain disconnected. So, I'm wondering where the black wire is going.

Glad you got it working, though!

Jul 8, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #3,518 of 7,277
I first would like to thank the forum for the wealth of information that allowed me to build this beautiful piece of hardware. However, I have a few questions.

While my wiring is messy and my parts are budget, (carbon resistors, 610s instead of 510s, generic 180uF capacitors, 24AWG copper wire) the thing seems to function.

1) While the amp normally works well, and glows normally, sometimes after i mess around with the MOSFETs, one tube will glow like a 15W lightbulb and the other will stop glowing. This has never happened with headphones in and I always unplug it before it warms up to the full glow. What is going on here? I think i fixed it (rewired the MOSFETS to try to minimize shorts, but i am still curious).

2) With headphones pluged in and nothing playing, when i touch the side of the aluminum case that I used, a pinging micro-phonic is transmitted through the headphones. Originally, I had cold solder joints on the ground plate, i believe i fixed it (as the torrent of sound that came through the earpiece when i touched the case has stopped but the ping is still omnipresent). Is the ping still a grounding issue?

3) I have installed 2 switches into the case. Both times, I would plug in amp after the switch was installed and the amp would make a click and the switch would no longer work. Did the case (which is wired to ground) short with the 48V? What is going on? Why is my amp frying switches?

4) I need a new audio pot (the channels are off by about 15%); what is the cheapest pot that is within about 5% range. I would ideally like to spend less than $5. Many people recommend the ALPS RK27, but i cannot afford that.

5) I don't hear an audible click when the amp powers up. Therefore, is it safe to leave my headphones plugged in while turning the amp on?

Sorry if any of these were already answered, I tried my best to find answers but the post is so long and has so much information.

Jul 8, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #3,519 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ares /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I first would like to thank the forum for the wealth of information that allowed me to build this beautiful piece of hardware. However, I have a few questions.

While my wiring is messy and my parts are budget, (carbon resistors, 610s instead of 510s, generic 180uF capacitors, 24AWG copper wire) the thing seems to function.

1) While the amp normally works well, and glows normally, sometimes after i mess around with the MOSFETs, one tube will glow like a 15W lightbulb and the other will stop glowing. This has never happened with headphones in and I always unplug it before it warms up to the full glow. What is going on here? I think i fixed it (rewired the MOSFETS to try to minimize shorts, but i am still curious).

No offense, but what is going on is not good. Having a tube flare up like that is caused by over-voltage applied to the heaters/cathode. It's a good way to burn the tube up. So, somehow messing with the MOSFETs is shorting the circuit to one of the tubes so that they're exposed to the full voltage (the tube heaters are in series, so in a correctly wired amp, they'll split the voltage between them).
Quote:

2) With headphones pluged in and nothing playing, when i touch the side of the aluminum case that I used, a pinging micro-phonic is transmitted through the headphones. Originally, I had cold solder joints on the ground plate, i believe i fixed it (as the torrent of sound that came through the earpiece when i touched the case has stopped but the ping is still omnipresent). Is the ping still a grounding issue?

This has nothing to do with the case or cold solder joints. The pinging would not transmit unless the tubes picked it up and amplified it. That means one or both of the tubes is microphonic. Unfortunately, this is not something that can be tested for with a tube tester - only by putting the tubes in an amp can you tell that this condition exists. Any good tube vendor will replace a microphonic tube upon request, however.

Just to be sure, swap the tubes and see if the pinging travels with one tube more than the other.
Quote:

3) I have installed 2 switches into the case. Both times, I would plug in amp after the switch was installed and the amp would make a click and the switch would no longer work. Did the case (which is wired to ground) short with the 48V? What is going on? Why is my amp frying switches?

The click you hear is in the Cisco power supply. It has an internal circuit breaker that will trip and then automatically reset itself when you unplug it from the shorted device. I doubt seriously that the switch has anything to do with it - most likely your first switch was OK. Reading above about your trouble with the MOSFETs would explain a lot - especially if this is an intermittent issue. Or, you may have a short somewhere else, too.
Quote:

4) I need a new audio pot (the channels are off by about 15%); what is the cheapest pot that is within about 5% range. I would ideally like to spend less than $5. Many people recommend the ALPS RK27, but i cannot afford that.

I've not had any trouble with the Alpha pots once you apply the input resistors, but I know people have complained about them. Unfortunately, there's nothing much available under the RK27. The RK097 is a good option, but I've heard just as many complaints about channel mismatching with that one, too.
Quote:

5) I don't hear an audible click when the amp powers up. Therefore, is it safe to leave my headphones plugged in while turning the amp on?

Not necessarily. It's possible that the stuttering/slow turn on is enough of a delay by itself to prevent any offset from occurring at the headphone jack.

However, the best thing for you to do is to measure the voltage relative to ground at the headphone jack connections when you power it up. That'll tell you very quickly if there are voltage levels high enough to damage your headphones.
Quote:

Sorry if any of these were already answered, I tried my best to find answers but the post is so long and has so much information.

No problem - hope this helped!

Jul 8, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #3,520 of 7,277
Thank you very much.

Is it possible that one tube may have glowed extremely hot if the interconnect between the two tubes is loose. Most notably, the wire between R13-R1 and C6? When forcing the MOSFETS up, I placed unnecessary strain on this wire. I think that is what was causing all that falderal.

Only my left tube is microphonic; however, my rights as a tube customer are severely mitigated because I purchased the tubes on Ebay. Should I just buy another? (the left one was the one I was heating up anyway)

The first switch was actually fried (when testing it with a multimeter, outside of the case, the switch always read 0ohms instead of Lo). However, the replacement switch appears to work- today.

One last thing. At times, when i unplug the headphone jack, a large amount of sound comes through the jack (no louder than the music playing, but louder than most amps i have used). Is this normal? It has appeared to have stopped, for the most part; nevertheless, I am still curious.

I am now cautiously enjoying my new toy. Thanks again.

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #3,521 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ares /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you very much.

Is it possible that one tube may have glowed extremely hot if the interconnect between the two tubes is loose. Most notably, the wire between R13-R1 and C6? When forcing the MOSFETS up, I placed unnecessary strain on this wire. I think that is what was causing all that falderal.

Nope - that wouldn't have anything to do with it. Most likely, the wiring going from MOSFET pins 3 to the #3 and #4 pins on the tube sockets - those are the heaters.

Quote:

Only my left tube is microphonic; however, my rights as a tube customer are severely mitigated because I purchased the tubes on Ebay. Should I just buy another? (the left one was the one I was heating up anyway)

It depends on how much of a nuisance it is to you. Microphonics rarely effect the sound quality of the tube - as long as you don't rap the amp or the desktop on which it sits. Some microphonics can be so bad that you hear a squeal just looking at the amp, others are so trivial as to become a minor nuisance. You'll have to decide yourself whether it's worth keeping the tube or not.

You can also try some tube rings - they can generally make a wildly microphonic tube listenable, or a slightly microphonic tube almost normal. However, the results can be inconsistent - YMMV.

Quote:

The first switch was actually fried (when testing it with a multimeter, outside of the case, the switch always read 0ohms instead of Lo). However, the replacement switch appears to work- today.

OK. Still, the original "click" you heard was most likely the overload protection in the Cisco power supply. I'm pretty familiar with that sound
wink.gif
wink.gif
and it does sound like it's coming right from the amp sometimes.
wink.gif

Quote:

One last thing. At times, when i unplug the headphone jack, a large amount of sound comes through the jack (no louder than the music playing, but louder than most amps i have used). Is this normal? It has appeared to have stopped, for the most part; nevertheless, I am still curious.

You got me on this one. What kind of sound? Quote:

I am now cautiously enjoying my new toy. Thanks again.

Jul 11, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #3,524 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by liltehood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it possible to use this as preamp?

I recommend you try searching the thread.
I believe a user named -=Germania=- wanted to use it as a preamp at one point.

Others told her it was a bad idea. I think the gain is too high in this amp for it to be used as a preamp, but you should go look

Users who are viewing this thread

Back