Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Jun 26, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #3,481 of 7,277
We're past the date where we can add more cases to the original order to Hammond. We currently have 2 kits (with cases) left and 9 individual cases left. That's it. After we ship, we'll re-assess and see if it's worthwhile to order another round of custom cases.

Meanwhile, the PCB's and PCB+tubes are still available without restrictions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #3,482 of 7,277
I've gotten a couple of e-mails about the timeline for delivery. That's a very fair question and you all have a reasonable expectation to be kept up-to-date on the timeline. So, maybe I should post it here to remind everyone and inform the newest to come to this thread.

The cases cannot ship until they are manufactured and delivered by Hammond Mfg. The cases were "officially" ordered on the 8th (they received my check). Add to that their 6-week lead time. So, I’m expecting shipment from Hammond on July 20th. However, the cases will take a few days to get to me. Plus, I will be out of country that week until the 25th. So, I would expect to ship most of them out during the week of July 27 – 31.

Jun 27, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #3,484 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by cegras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered a full kit - I'm guessing the whole thing will ship together by the end of July?

From the post above yours, "So, I would expect to ship most of them out during the week of July 27 – 31."
wink.gif
wink.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #3,488 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by gore.rubicon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick Q how many kits are left, and if a Canadian was to order one in what ballpark can would i need to pay customs?

If you use USPS just taxes. GST and PST.

Jun 29, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #3,489 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by gore.rubicon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick Q how many kits are left, and if a Canadian was to order one in what ballpark can would i need to pay customs?

Looks like the last of the kits got sold last night.
wink.gif

As I stated earlier, let's see how this all works out with the custom cases and getting these delivered to everyone. Then I'll compare that with the remaining stock of tubes and see whether it's realistic to go another round.

The PCB's and the PCB + tubes are still available - as are the custom cases ... just not combined into a kit.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #3,490 of 7,277
I've been browsing on this thread for months now (i think i posted a fair bit between pages 100-210 or something) but school holidays are on and i'm looking at doing a point to point build since the PCB's and stuff are too hard to get ordered down to Australia, plus there's that 6-week lead time on the cases.
frown.gif

Anyway, one thing I can never quite get is how to connect up the heatsinks. I'm looking at using a CASE HB5970 [JAYCAR] JAYCAR ABS BOX (jaycar.com.au) or similar with HEATS HH8526 [JAYCAR] JAYCAR HEAVY-DUTY TO-3P HEATSINK (ML97 TYPE) [$X2] heatsinks (search the codes on jaycar.com.au). Do I need these mounting kits? How do I connect the heatsinks to the case, and how do I mount the MOSFET's? I'm finalizing the BOM now, and i'll post it soon if you would like to check it. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-CaptHowie

Jun 30, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #3,491 of 7,277
So, I am getting ready to order parts from mouser.

The mounting kit used originally is out of stock. 532-4880
Does it matter which kit is used? will 532-4880M or 532-4880SG work fine?
Or should I get one from beezar? (which one?)

He included bare PCB in his original list.. Should I get this?
Is it worth the $4 to not have to wire the ground?

Lastly, anyone have any recommendations for the heatsink used?
I couldn't really find anything cool on mouser, so I've given up and am using the original one (I think it looks better than tomb's)

I am gonna upload the list for anyone interested.

EDIT: adding keyword BOM, so I can find the damn post again next time

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #3,492 of 7,277
Quote:

Standard kit contains Thermalfilm insulator. For high maximum operating temperatures (550°C), order a mica insulator by adding suffix letter "M" to the part number. For electrical isolation and excellent thermal resistance, use In-Sil-8 for an insulator by adding suffix letter "S' to the part number.

I think I remember buying 4880 (Thermafilm) for my M³, and this time I bought the SG (Thermasil) for my Beta. The SG seems better and cheaper too. Apparently grease is needed for the Thermafilm, read this article here.

I never liked point-to-point, so if you're prone to mistakes I think the PCB is worth it.

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #3,493 of 7,277
Sounds good, thanks.

That article is just what I needed.

I guess I'll get the PCB. I am trying P2P once to see what it's like.

EDIT: the 532-4880 is suppose to cost .77 according to their catalog. Must be some sort of backorder pricing.

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #3,495 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinyFalcon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll probably do some point-to-point myself, but with really small components, which was what my opinion was directed at. If the parts are big like the Starving Student I think point-to-point is fine.

There's a case to be made that a PCB-version of a circuit will always perform better than a point-to-point - simply because quality control in the circuit layout is assured. Shorter traces and proper grounding with a ground plane also means that a PCB version will perform better in most instances. If good grounding is used and wiring lengths are organized and run in the optimum way, then a point-to-point should be equivalent. However, the "if" is the key.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back