Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Jun 13, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #3,436 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P.S. I'm not sure we've confirmed that his resistors were wrong, though.
wink.gif

Both r16 and r17 are each 2 33k in series so it might be a little ghetto but they aren't wrong. Unless I have a bad solder joint :/

Jun 14, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #3,437 of 7,277
So I've finished building my amp and it seems to be a bust.

I checked for a current at these places:

-power jack
-tube connectors (tubes plugged in)
-rca jacks
-output jack
-transistors

at each point there was a current read. So theoretically it should work, right?

Well, the tubes aren't lighting up (or even warming at all for that matter). I'm not getting any sound when I plug in my headphones. I'm not sure what's wrong. Any ideas?

Another point, possibly relevant: I'm reading a current regardless of the position of the switch... is that right? shouldn't there not be any current after the switch in the circuit if it's flipped off? (I tried both settings in case I'd soldered it backwards..)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jun 15, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #3,439 of 7,277
Just an update for those of you who've ordered kits and cases -

Hammond sent an initial shop drawing for the case to me on Friday. Unfortunately, there were some mistakes. I marked it up and sent it back this weekend. Hopefully they'll make corrections and send me back an updated drawing today.

This is normal and doesn't really reflect any issues with Hammond. We should be 5 weeks and counting today. I'll continue to keep you updated.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Well, there you go - as soon as I posted this, they hit me with the revised drawing.
wink.gif
Looks OK so far, but it will be tonight before I can make sure and send it back.

Jun 16, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #3,441 of 7,277
Well, another round of corrections on the shop drawings - very minor changes, though. So hopefully, they'll get the final-final back to me today.

What's happened is that my own drawings are always referenced to the extrusion body because that lines up with the endplate components. Of course, assuming like everyone else around here that all holes/cuts are in the top plate.

However - Hammond views that plate as the "Belly Plate" and showed all machining to be done on the extrusion. I asked them to transfer all work to the Belly Plate, which we use as a "Top Plate." They did that yesterday, but squished the dimensions around the center line when they did it (the top plate is less wide than the extrusion).

So, that was corrected on the drawing I sent back to them last night.

I'll keep you updated. This is still pretty typical, so not to worry.
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #3,444 of 7,277
Hi everyone ^^

Tomb, is the deadline for order unchanged ? Still june the 22th ?
I don't know if I will did it on time...
Is is possible to consider another "order session" later on ?

Thank's...

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #3,445 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tritonpad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone ^^

Tomb, is the deadline for order unchanged ? Still june the 22th ?
I don't know if I will did it on time...
Is is possible to consider another "order session" later on ?

Thank's...

It's still possible to order at the existing prices by June 22nd. However, Hammond will not let us add to the number after that date. It would not be fair (nor affordable) to give those that come after that date the same price, because the number will have already been fixed - supply will be limited.

We should still be looking at July 13th for shipping to me, if my calendar calculations are correct. However, once nice thing about Hammond is that they will ship out a prototype to me next to confirm everything for real. I'll post photos when I get it and will go ahead and assemble another amp using it, too.

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #3,446 of 7,277
hay guys! i just finished my starving student it went well but i got one problem. when i play sound through it all the vocals are to the left and all i get to to come out both ears is the background music. they play at the same volume, its not like one plays louder then the other. i tried swapping tubes around but its the same so i don't know. any one know what the problem may be?

Jun 18, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #3,447 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobfig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hay guys! i just finished my starving student it went well but i got one problem. when i play sound through it all the vocals are to the left and all i get to to come out both ears is the background music. they play at the same volume, its not like one plays louder then the other. i tried swapping tubes around but its the same so i don't know. any one know what the problem may be?

Typically, the symptoms you describe are most often a wiring issue with the input jacks or the pots - some of the signal wires got crossed or mixed up with ground, etc. Double check the wiring in both of those places.
wink.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #3,450 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobfig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok thanx i will. my only real problem with making it was that the pot was not labeled in what wire/pin goes were. ill do a once over

That was your only problem area and the most likely cause of the symptoms you're describing. So it looks like you definitely know where to look
smily_headphones1.gif

Where did you get the pot? If you can find the datasheet from the manufacturer, you should be able to figure out what pins to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back