Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Jun 12, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #3,421 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by zkool448 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha. It really amazes me how the minds work for many of the engineers and gurus that frequent this forum.

I see a populated pcb and think to myself "wow, that looks cool" then I move on. The gurus come in and they spot melted caps, backward diodes, inefficient wire gauge, shorted traces, .....
biggrin.gif

yeah, dubbel that.
I hope they're wrong one day and screw up one of their own builds....MWUAHAHA, just kidding
tongue.gif

BTW Zkool, I got some awesome news. The best friend of my sister lives in my street, and her dad is a carpenter. So maybe I could get my courage together, get out of my room and ask her dad if I could use his workshop for a couple of hours. Dunno if it would work
tongue.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #3,422 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Llama16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, dubbel that.
I hope they're wrong one day and screw up one of their own builds....MWUAHAHA, just kidding
tongue.gif

Why do you think they know what to look for? We all learn by making mistakes. The lucky folks can learn from others' mistakes instead of having to repeat them.
wink.gif

btw, I have put in diodes backwards, melted a Wima (2 actually!), and I'm sure I've shorted things.
tongue.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #3,423 of 7,277
I'm not critising, I envy them for their knowledge. By reading things on this forum I've learned alot already, and maybe one day I might be able to point those things out as well and help someone
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #3,426 of 7,277
Quote:

That's awesome llama. He may even cut everything for you as long as you provide the wood -- good luck!
smile.gif

Well I actually want to make it myself
tongue.gif
that's why I do this all. I know that it would be done hundred times better by him, but then there wouldn't really be any fun about it. I hope to find some nice wood around here, and if I got my plans drawn and scales correct, I'll take them and my wood to him and ask him.
We'll see.
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #3,427 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I only just found out which way around a diode is supposed to go
tongue.gif

Same here smeggy, if it weren't for the pictures none of my builds would have worked ..But last night though was truly entertaining for me haha
biggrin.gif

The short time I was logged on, digger scoped your backward diodes and then you said "what?? u can see that?" (I was ROFL!!)

Then a few minutes later, it's adamus' turn: "your diodes are on backwards", and today Nate comes in, "gurusan you're caps are melted" hahaha

Cheers to these guys...

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #3,428 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you think they know what to look for? We all learn by making mistakes. The lucky folks can learn from others' mistakes instead of having to repeat them.
wink.gif

btw, I have put in diodes backwards, melted a Wima (2 actually!), and I'm sure I've shorted things.
tongue.gif

Heck - I saw the melted Wima and never gave it a second thought. I've melted the corner on one or two with every MAX/MiniMAX I've built. I did it on the Starving Student PCB, too, if anyone looks close.

A secret: the plastic is thick on those things. You can get a file and smooth out any melted dimple you've happened to melt into one and no one will ever know. Unless you confess, that is ...
wink.gif
tongue.gif

P.S. I've turned the diodes around in the PS and delay-relay on a MAX or MiniMAX more than once or twice, too.
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #3,430 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heck - I saw the melted Wima and never gave it a second thought.

c'mon tom, you're as guilty as the rest of them (circuit police!) -- aren't you the one who spotted gurusan's R16 and R17 were different?
tongue.gif

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #3,431 of 7,277
Quote:

c'mon tom, you're as guilty as the rest of them (circuit police!) -- aren't you the one who spotted gurusan's R16 and R17 were different?
tongue.gif

I saw Smeggy's reversed diodes, too, but it appeared that he had enough help at the time.
wink.gif

P.S. I'm not sure we've confirmed that his resistors were wrong, though.
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #3,435 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heck - I saw the melted Wima and never gave it a second thought. I've melted the corner on one or two with every MAX/MiniMAX I've built.

When the going gets tough, I often cover tall or obtrusive components like caps with foil. This keeps even the quick tagging of them from looking like hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back