Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Apr 11, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #2,897 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PCB's have shipped. It may take a few more days for me after they get here, though - this comes right on top of IRS time.
frown.gif

When everything's ready to go, will beezar be the site where we go to for buying?

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #2,898 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by zkool448 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like an ideal recipe for some grados and other low Z cans
smile.gif

zk

I'm very curious how the 12SR7 and 12SW7 sound with low z cans like grados. They sound very good with the HD 580 and the KSC75s. The more detailed highs and slightly increased bass slam really help with rock music while still keeping the tubey mids which fatten the tone.

Apr 11, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #2,899 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by cegras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When everything's ready to go, will beezar be the site where we go to for buying?

According to Head-Fi rules, you should probably send me a PM for such a question, but YES.

Apr 11, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #2,901 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to Head-Fi rules, you should probably send me a PM for such a question, but YES.

>_< Sorry, I'll keep that in mind next time. Apologies!

Apr 11, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #2,902 of 7,277
Since I finished my SSHA this morning I've made a couple observations.

The mosfet heatsinks are 2"h x 1.25"w x 1.25"L fins. I wouldn't recommend anything less than this. You can put your finger on them but you won't keep it there long (kinda hot).

I need a cross filter. To me, it makes a BIG difference in how long I'm able to wear headphones. I've built one cmoy with a static and one with a switchable cross filter. I've gone as long as 6 hrs without tiring. Maybe an hour on any amp without one.
And when using an MP3 player make sure you ripped your music to it 'CD quality'. If not, this amp will let you know it.
L3000.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #2,904 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by metal112524 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have this power supply, can someone tell me the polarity of the pin and sleeve. Thanks in advance, its all I need to hook up the amp. lol, idk whats gonna happen when I fire it up though.

]

You don't need us, use your multimeter.

Apr 12, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #2,906 of 7,277
use a LED and resister in series, the led will only light one way

Apr 12, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #2,908 of 7,277
Quote:

i dont have a led or resistor

The listing doesn't indicate the tip/sleeve polarity. You will have to use a multimeter or led/resistor to know for sure. Multimeters can be picked up very cheap and proves to be a must-have in the tool box.

Apr 12, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #2,909 of 7,277
Quote:

i dont have a led or resistor

what do you have? in the junk box

Apr 12, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #2,910 of 7,277
Quote:

^ya thanks, i don't have one.

Then you're going about this 100% the wrong way. Undertaking this, or just about any other DIY electronics project, without the most fundamental tool for the job (short of perhaps a soldering iron) is ridiculous. What's your plan for when something goes wrong with the amp? You plan on keeping a steady supply of tester headphones around so that as you cook pair after pair you can just keep throwing them at the problem? I'm sorry for the sarcasm but what you're basically trying to do is read a book in the dark. On top of that when you noticed the light was out you asked someone to read you the first page but tell you how the story ends.

rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back