Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Apr 10, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #2,881 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred_fred2004 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heres some pics
I was using a Jaycars ABS box (HB5970) so the heat sinks were insulated from the circuit, the switch has abuilt in LED ( SP0704) which makes life simple, the home made pcb is sitting flat on the case's base, So I didn't need to stand it clear of any metal. The Mosfets have clear heatshrink on them but its hard to see (because its clear). The amp is great well worth building
cheers
Fred

Thx Fred for the photos but there are still a few questions I have:
1. I still don't get how you insulated the MOSFETs as I don't see any heatsinks and the case is ABS (I probably missed them in one of the photos). I know you have heatshrinked the MOSFETs as well.
2. Where would you connect the LED circuit to?

You've been heaps of help. Much appreciated.
-CaptHowie

Apr 10, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #2,882 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptHowie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. I still don't get how you insulated the MOSFETs as I don't see any heatsinks and the case is ABS (I probably missed them in one of the photos). I know you have heatshrinked the MOSFETs as well.

-CaptHowie

His FETS are on the heatsinks mounted on the top of his case.

Apr 10, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #2,883 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptHowie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

-CaptHowie

V3nom is spot on, you don't need to insulate the mosfets from the heatsinks because they are mounted on plastic.

The LED look at the back of the switch the Rled is in some black heatshrink

PCBDesign_SSHAorg.jpg

here is the pcb I've tried to show how the led is connected
cheers
fred

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #2,885 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by penneydude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm building this now,can someone double check the way I'm reading the schematic?

Do R3 and R9 go to pin 1 (gate) of the MOSFETs?

Yes penneydude, that's correct. Solder the resistor lead directly to pin 1 of the mosfet to keep their distance short.

zk

Apr 10, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #2,887 of 7,277
One more dumb question - I can't find the exact power supply on ebay, but I do see a similar 48v power supply that offers 1.25amps. Since the original one mentioned only offers .38 amps or so, will this be okay?

Edit - oops, I've just found the proper power supply for cheaper on eBay after all. Disregard!

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #2,888 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by cactus friend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One more dumb question - I can't find the exact power supply on ebay, but I do see a similar 48v power supply that offers 1.25amps. Since the original one mentioned only offers .38 amps or so, will this be okay?

I use the 1.25 amp unit. It works great, without the stuttering the 380ma one can cause.

Apr 11, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #2,890 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by metal112524 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is the minimum or recommended wire gauge for running wires to the fets and tube sockets?

I don't think there is a minimum or recommended awg size but if you want to put a size to it i guess the minimum gauge could be equal to the leads on the resistors/capacitors you use.

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #2,894 of 7,277
Ok, finally got around to building it.

MySSHA.jpg

True starving student as the tubes were the only things purchased.(thanks v3nom) The rest of the parts came from old ups and computer power supplies. Jacks are from a sound card and the pot is from an old stereo. All wiring was done with Cat5E, p2p so I can upgrade parts as I aquire them. Very, very slight hum when nothing is attached to the input but dead silent when the mp3 was attached. I’ve been listening for 2hrs now and its amazing. Thanks Pete and everyone else for all the info and upgrade ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back