Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Mar 20, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #2,731 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by zkool448 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
great. in terms of mosfets, the T0-220 mounting kit datasheet and diagrams clearly explains how to mount them onto the sinks correctly (with thermalfilm).

zk

Thanks, zkool! That's exactly what I was looking for. I just got a shipment confirmation from mouser, and my tubes should be here by Monday. I should be able to start by Tuesday at the latest. I just picked up my enclosure from a local shop. I won't say what it is, but it'll be a surprise when I post pics.
beyersmile.png

Mar 20, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #2,732 of 7,277
I'm trying DIY Layout Creator to do a layout on perf board. It's freeware and was mentioned on some thread here. I'm using beta version 2.01 that I can't find on the web right now. I think it's really an alpha version because the creator says the release version won't be able to open files created with the beta. He's currently working on version 3 that will be in open source.

DIY-Layout-Creator_1.png

I think if I ever get to doing a lot of point to point on perf board, I'll buy something like LochMaster

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #2,733 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Took more pics after making the small wood tube surrounds for those who wanted more views.

Stunning build. Wouldn't look out of place in a Gallery as a piece of sculptural art. Form and Function.
beerchug.gif

How did you make the wood tube surrounds? Turned on a lathe or is there another way?

Mar 21, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #2,735 of 7,277
Hi,
i've built my amp with the original plans, it worked for a while but now it seems broken, i never hear the music in both ears no matter how i set the volume pot, and i hear a loud humming all the time.
Anyone have any suggestions how to fix this?

I'm also intresded in how to improve the sound quality, what parts should i replace/add.

//Petter

Mar 21, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #2,736 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by petterg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
i've built my amp with the original plans, it worked for a while but now it seems broken, i never hear the music in both ears no matter how i set the volume pot, and i hear a loud humming all the time.
Anyone have any suggestions how to fix this?

I'm also intresded in how to improve the sound quality, what parts should i replace/add.

//Petter

We may need a pic or two. Sounds like some wiring/soldering connections have given way.

Mar 21, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #2,737 of 7,277
Here's Dsavitsk's latest PCB design. Resistors and input terminal block have been moved further in, additions are extra pads for smaller caps on the electrolytics (the originals were sized for very large boutiques), an extra pad to accomodate a large resistor on the back side for tube LED's, and the center hole has been grounded to the ground plane. (Again, the ground plane is not shown for clarity.)

He's probably getting frustrated with me by now - I asked for a few additions to the silkscreen.
redface.gif
redface.gif
So this may change slightly ... or it may not.
wink.gif

starving-03192009.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #2,738 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We may need a pic or two. Sounds like some wiring/soldering connections have given way.

It's like when i try to set the volume higher, the right channel gets quiet and vice versa. The amp just "broke" without me changing anything or open it.

Mar 21, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #2,739 of 7,277
Quote:

It's like when i try to set the volume higher, the right channel gets quiet and vice versa. The amp just "broke" without me changing anything or open it.

Sorry, but that's not helpful. Open it.
wink.gif
One thing you could do before that - swap the tubes from one channel to the other and see if that changes anything. Otherwise, open it and give us some pics. It may take some measurements, too.
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #2,740 of 7,277
Quote:

Quote:

Sorry, but that's not helpful. Open it.
wink.gif
One thing you could do before that - swap the tubes from one channel to the other and see if that changes anything. Otherwise, open it and give us some pics. It may take some measurements, too.
wink.gif

I think Tom needs a moto, maybe: 'A picture is worth a thousand words.'

I don't have much experience in the department, but from everything read in this thread, pictures really do hold the key.

Mar 21, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #2,741 of 7,277
Quote:

Here's Dsavitsk's latest PCB design. Resistors and input terminal block have been moved further in, additions are extra pads for smaller caps on the electrolytics (the originals were sized for very large boutiques), an extra pad to accomodate a large resistor on the back side for tube LED's, and the center hole has been grounded to the ground plane. (Again, the ground plane is not shown for clarity.)

He's probably getting frustrated with me by now - I asked for a few additions to the silkscreen.
redface.gif
redface.gif
So this may change slightly ... or it may not.
wink.gif

tomb, thanks for the update -- will the updated design require a second prototype/test phase before the production board will be released?

thanks! -zk

Mar 21, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #2,742 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm trying DIY Layout Creator to do a layout on perf board. It's freeware and was mentioned on some thread here. I'm using beta version 2.01 that I can't find on the web right now. I think it's really an alpha version because the creator says the release version won't be able to open files created with the beta. He's currently working on version 3 that will be in open source.

DIY-Layout-Creator_1.png

I think if I ever get to doing a lot of point to point on perf board, I'll buy something like LochMaster

scomptom, I like it but I;ve not tried it yet. Whe you put components on the proto, is it smart enough to show the traces that are connected with each components? (eg. traces change colors).

zk

Mar 22, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #2,743 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by zkool448 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tomb, thanks for the update -- will the updated design require a second prototype/test phase before the production board will be released?

thanks! -zk

NO!
smily_headphones1.gif

I asked for was a few silkscreen notes -
* label the ground pad for the pot
* move the 123 numbers for the MOSFETs to the board (since they're cut off from the edge of the board)
* put "+" signs in the right places for the tube LED pads, and
* label the input terminal block with L, R, G.

None of those things - whether implemented or not - will create the need for a new prototype run.
smily_headphones1.gif

Again I maybe nit-picking, especially for a limited board run (tube availability), but I thought these things might be simple and offer a good benefit. Really, I don't mean to plead my case in public, either. Dsavitsk is busier than I am lately.
wink.gif
We will be well-served even with the board as it is, quite frankly.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #2,744 of 7,277
cool thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

apologies for all the questions and completely understand if you can't disclose any info at this time, but how many boards/tube pairs roughly will be available in stock and is there a new release timing date?

thanks tomb.

zk

Mar 22, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #2,745 of 7,277
I have about 30 power supplies, but not as many as the other things. So my latest thinking is to offer about 30 kits first, then sell the boards with tubes until the tubes run out. I estimate somewhere between 50 - 100 (x2 tubes each) for that, but we'll order 200 boards total. That means some will be left over.

If more tubes (in qty) show up (we hope that's the case), that strategy may change.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back