Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Mar 17, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #2,701 of 7,277
when i wanted to build mine in the hammond L case i did strongly think on getting rid of the bottom plate and use plexi to mount mount the pcb. lack of both time and tools made me go for the N case.

tbh if you have the time then go for a custom job

Mar 18, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #2,702 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uhm, I need your opinion on deciding how to build my SS using the proto PCB. The "problem" is that I want to use (and already have) 4 Elna Cerafine 470uF 63V, and an Alps Blue Velvet. It's the same components I already have in my two other SS amps and they sound great.

I just measured one Cerafine on the PCB, and the cap + the PCB thickness is 48mm. If I use PCB mount sockets for the tubes on the "correct" side, it's an extra 14mm. Clearly too tall for a Hammond case. If I mount the caps on the same side as the tubes, I then have to slide the PCB in a bottom slot, which causes other problems (the Mosfets should be bolted on the top side, etc.). And the taller case looks pretty ugly imho.

Another option, and the one I wanted to use, is to get a small Galaxy case from Hifi2000. The second smallest size has more than enough space for everything, and the sides are made of extruded aluminum and would work well as heatsinks. The PCB would be bolted on the bottom. But seeing as Galaxy cases are 40mm tall, I would need to mount the tube sockets on the case top as there's absolutely no space for them. Which I kind of prefer as I find amps look nicer with the tubes completely exposed, and there's less risk of making ugly holes for the tubes. But then I'll have to air wire them, which kind of defeats having a PCB.

Any other alternatives apart from building a case myself out of wood and aluminum (or brass), which I would prefer not to do as it would take a long time?

Well, I'm certain you went to a lot of trouble to get those Cerafines, so my first suggestion would not work (change caps).
wink.gif

One thing to remember, though, is that the SSMH has been a P2P design from day one. So, there would be nothing wrong with laying the caps down horizontally. If you can figure out a way to orient them in a such a way that they don't touch the edges of the board/case that might work. The point of the P2P reference is that I strongly doubt that the extra lead length that occurs by turning radial caps horizontal will have any noticeable effect.

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #2,704 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got mine cased up, almost finished. I just need to make tube flange surrounds to tidy up the top. I put a 1/4 and 1/8" phone sockets cos I keep losing my adapters.

Anyway, I'm loving this thing
biggrin.gif

95532318.jpg

holy smokes!...that is sweeet!!!

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #2,705 of 7,277
Quote:

Got mine cased up, almost finished.
biggrin.gif

Geez Smeggy, who wouldn't....that's gorgeous! Totally, totally original!
Haven't seen you in a while. Hope all is well!

Mar 18, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #2,709 of 7,277
@smeggy Good work on the amp... Lovely case, truly unique
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #2,710 of 7,277
Quote:

Got mine cased up, almost finished. I just need to make tube flange surrounds to tidy up the top. I put a 1/4 and 1/8" phone sockets cos I keep losing my adapters.

biggrin.gif

I'm really jealous of that thing.
redface.gif
Congrats!

Mar 18, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #2,711 of 7,277
Quote:

biggrin.gif

95532318.jpg

eek.gif
....... ... ... .. ..........
eek.gif
...........*faints*

(i think with a birds eye view, it would look like a face sticking out its tongue, with an afro! :p)

Mar 18, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #2,712 of 7,277
Quote:

biggrin.gif

95532318.jpg

That's not a Starving Student! That's a Smartass Student!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back