Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Mar 1, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #2,536 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightanole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would be a good match with this unit for a source for 128kbs mp3's? Right now i have a nano2nd gen (cant imod). Should i get a pcm2702 based usb dac for $40 instead?

With 128kbs MP3s, I think you will hear a minimal difference. I assume you're just using the built in soundcard on your PC? If you like to listen from the PC, look into the BantamDAC. It's less then $40, and since you DIYed this amp, the DAC should be doable. Tom makes some recommendations to help protect the DAC from the MHSS when it starts up. Take a look at the posts on the DAC thread here or on Tom's website.

My recommendation is to build the DAC AND get better source files. My friend at work loves to test me to see if I can tell the difference between FLAC and a 320kbs MP3. I'll admit, I can't always tell, and when I do, sometimes I can't tell which is which, just that there is a difference. I CAN hear the difference between 192kbs and FLAC every time.

You don't mention your headphones though. Some are more revealing then others
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #2,537 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by zkool448 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Yaka, sorry about the previous pics I only had my phone cam with me at the time. Anyway, it's not quite ready but I managed to get most of the sanding done today. All it could use now is a fresh coat of paint. I'll try to post some more pics after I decide on a color
smily_headphones1.gif

note: Bottom plate is made of frosted acrylic/plexiglass, the LCDs should make the bottom plate 'glow' in the dark (hopefully).

zk

msshmdf1.jpg

I love this...

I did architectural salvage for years and this looks like a bit of molding with some heatsinks and tubes stuck in it! I mean this in a good way, btw.

I built two of these SS amps and was very impressed with their sound, and then promptly sold them. I am a little concerned about the availability of the 19J6 tube and as a confirmed member of team "cheap person" would like to stay with tubes on the cheap and available end of the spectrum...

which is why I am very interested in the possibility of the 12au7 working in this circuit. I will follow developments with interest...

ADDENDUM; with the way MDF seals up I just see black lacquer as the next logical step on that amp!

Mar 2, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #2,540 of 7,277
Here are a few sorry snapshots of what I did in my Mom's shop today (well, my Mom's retirement community has a nice shop set up by folks who passed years ago).

Obviously, my shop and photography skills are lacking, but I thought folks might be interested in seeing my implementation of the SSMH PCB built into the small Hammond, trying out my idea of mounting the heat sinks horizontally.

I cut two 1" wide slots into the top of the case, so I could slip the heat sinks into them, with sightly wider sections at the ends to accommodate the heat sink pins (you can't see it, but the case lid is now a W at that end, not a U). I also notched the tops of the end panel, to allow the pins to rest on them.

I had to air-wire the MOSFETs with about an inch of wire to get them to reach the heat sinks.

A few other notes:

* As I mentioned to TomB by email, all three solder pads from the input connection block and the tips/solder pads for R7 and R10 (all on the tube socket side of the board, of course) are rubbing in the slots on the hammond. At TomB's suggestion, I put electrical tape over them, after filing them down as far as possible. In addition, the input block are very tight against the case when you have wire in them. I hope this can change in the production board.

* If I do this again, I'll modify the tube sockets to sit lower and leveler, with respect to the PCB board. I think flush the way Nate did it looks best, but it will require some surgery to the socket pins.

* I had to position the RCAs and the power jack low, to miss the heat sink parts inside the case. The stock switch doesn't fit in there. I just jumpered the switch for now -- probably will leave it like that.

* I didn't include any LEDs -- the tubes are enuf for me.

* I left R3 and R9 on the board -- I think wiser heads would have taken them off the board and connected them between the MOSFET 1-pins and the wire that connects the pins to the board.

* I forgot to get a knob for the pot. Oh well -- I'll get one later.

* I'll probably try to figure out how to put the heat sink bolt nuts inside the case, rather than leaving them nuts-up.

* We'll see how the heat dissipation works; there are no vents in the case yet. After about .5 hour, the heat sinks are in the mid 120F degrees; slightly cooler than the tubes. Everything else is well under 100F.

* Too bad about the scratches on the top of the case -- I realized too late I should have protected it. Perhaps I'll paint it later.

Best of all, it's tiny and sounds great!

Thanks again to TomB, cetoole, and Pete Millett. I really needed this kind of project to take my mind off things today, and it did that in spades.

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #2,542 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by royewest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are a few sorry snapshots of what I did in my Mom's shop today (well, my Mom's retirement community has a nice shop set up by folks who passed years ago).

Obviously, my shop and photography skills are lacking, but I thought folks might be interested in seeing my implementation of the SSMH PCB built into the small Hammond, trying out my idea of mounting the heat sinks horizontally.

I cut two 1" wide slots into the top of the case, so I could slip the heat sinks into them, with sightly wider sections at the ends to accommodate the heat sink pins (you can't see it, but the case lid is now a W at that end, not a U). I also notched the tops of the end panel, to allow the pins to rest on them.
</snip>

Ooh - looks great, but it sounds like a lot of work.
wink.gif
There are some flat heat sinks that are available from Aavid, but I believe they have to be specially ordered. Or, the "rainbow" style we've seen a few times in this thread is also available stock from Mouser - ~$4.50, or somewhere thereabouts. Either one might have made this much easier.

Still, fantastic work - send us more pics! We (me) would like to see other details - how the frontplate works out, a better idea of the socket height, etc., etc.
wink.gif
wink.gif

14797d1235968464-millett-starving-student-hybrid-amp-ssmh-pcb-cased-01.jpg

14798d1235968473-millett-starving-student-hybrid-amp-ssmh-pcb-cased-02.jpg

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #2,547 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now just some case feet and a bit of tung oil - should look sick!!!!!!

Thanks for the kind words folks. Germania, mdf is almost construction-like grade and commonly used for cabinetry casing, trims/moldings, etc. and not meant to be oiled/stained : ) As Vaughan said, with it's porous surface it could only be painted to finish. I wanted it to appear like metal so, dbel84 I appreciate the 'fire red engine suggestion' but instead I went with 'textured' metallic right after several layers of primer. To those interested in seeing the final build, pls click the link to the build gallery thread. cheers.

zk

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #2,548 of 7,277
Quote:

Thanks for the kind words folks. Germania, mdf is almost construction-like grade and commonly used for cabinetry casing, trims/moldings, etc. and not meant to be oiled/stained : ) As Vaughan said, with it's porous surface it could only be painted to finish. I wanted it to appear like metal so, dbel84 I appreciate the 'fire red engine suggestion' but instead I went with 'textured' metallic right after several layers of primer. To those interested in seeing the final build, pls click the link to the build gallery thread. cheers.

zk

Amazing. You even counter-sunk the DC input and RCA jacks again.
smily_headphones1.gif
That lighted acrylic bottom plate is just an unbelievable touch.

We used mdf at Lockheed to test machining programs for some very complicated parts and composite molding fixtures. It's a great material to machine, but it seems you've taken the applicability to an entirely new level. Great work!

frontviewblkbo8.jpg

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #2,549 of 7,277
Quote:

zk

It has a very steampunk-ish look, tubes sticking out of a modern finished 40s-reminiscent design. Definitely one of the top starving student cases.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #2,550 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...That lighted acrylic bottom plate is just an unbelievable touch
...We used mdf at Lockheed to test machining programs for some very complicated parts and composite molding fixtures..

Thanks Tomb, thepredator
wink.gif

The case work took the entire weekend to complete, a couple of mistakes here and there, made a couple of changes from the original design due to mis-aligned FET's, but I enjoyed every minute of building it. I do like working with MDFs as you already know how machinable they are no matter how dull the blades get they still cut through these boards like butter -- though they're really pain to paint
wink.gif

Glow in the dark:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back