Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Feb 25, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #2,476 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfcubed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing I learned doing my compact hybrid build I'd like to share WRT case-mounting devices as heatsinking... Depending on case size + dissipation, you may not like the result. Haven't followed this, so don't know the dissipation here or whether there is already a full, target-case proto using case-mounting as heat-sinking (or even if that's the plan
smily_headphones1.gif

The main heat-producer in the CTH other than the tube is it's LV reg. I measured its apparent dissipation at about 1.5W (not so much). When case-mounted it brought the entire enclosure to about 50C (albeit, a bit smaller enclosure then this PCB build is shooting for)... I'd consider use of a proper heatsink instead, be it internal (w/assoc air holes) or external. When I did this, the case temp dropped nicely.
It's really personal opinion tho because the components are perfectly happy at such temps even if your hands aren't
wink.gif
Just something to think about...

tomb - If you think this post is not applicable here, just let me know.

No problem, cfcubed.
wink.gif
The Starving Student thread takes input from the whole community.

I strongly suspect that we will need to slap a heat sink on the top of the case, but have left that conclusion up to real findings. You note the small 1.5W in your CTH, but was it actually mounted to the case metal? There's a big difference in that respect. I know in building several MAXes, just the addition of the handle bars (heavy-weight drawer pulls) on top of the MAX cases brought the case temperature down significantly, regardless of how much was generated inside.

Again, Dsavitsk has suggested that heat sinks may not be necessary when the MOSFETs are bolted directly to the lid. His findings were based on the Hammond "N" case, though, which has more metal than the "L" case we're attempting to use for the SSMH PCB. So, the question remains whether the "L" case can reject that heat. I'm think the addition of an exposed heat sink - or a couple of drawer pulls - whether they're directly connected to the MOSFET bolts or not, may be all that's necessary to make up the difference in exposed metal from the "N" case to the "L."

That's the reason we're prototyping, though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #2,477 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
< snip > You note the small 1.5W in your CTH, but was it actually mounted to the case metal? < snip > I'm think the addition of an exposed heat sink - or a couple of drawer pulls - whether they're directly connected to the MOSFET bolts or not, may be all that's necessary to make up the difference in exposed metal from the "N" case to the "L."

smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the quick response... Sounds good on all counts... My LV reg was directly mounted to case bottom & case had no extra metal of any kind... So that was probably less than ideal as the heat had too travel to far to be dissipated, etc.

Didn't think of the handles that way... Thanks! And yes these things are what prototyping is about
smile.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #2,478 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Tom,

My suspicion is that regardless of case (since the top lid is essentially the heat sink and the same for both cases) is that we may end up using something like I did on the Menace. The three heat sinks in the center of the chassis are just adhesive backed pieces that I got from Mouser.

medium.jpg

I have a couple left from that build so I'll be able to try them on my SSH as soon as the chassis shows up (hopefully today).

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #2,479 of 7,277
Agreed, Nate. Those maybe just the ticket. I believe rds is working on a similar tack. The important thing to note for simplicity is that once the MOSFETs are bolted to the case lid, it shouldn't take any sort of elaborate mechanical connection to slap auxuliary heat removing devices on the lid.

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #2,480 of 7,277
Does anyone know of an adequate replacement for the heatsinks (657-15ABP)? Mouser just ran out last night. This one (647-15ABP) seems to be identical other than the fact that it's a touch heavier which changes the thermal characteristics ever so slightly.

I'm about to attempt this as my first DIY electrical project in 12 years... so as soon as something doesn't match my BOM or schematics, I start to panic.

Feb 25, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #2,481 of 7,277
Just make sure the performance is similar on whatever heatsink you use and you'll be fine.

Feb 25, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #2,482 of 7,277
duplicate post....

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #2,483 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by lowendfrequency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know of an adequate replacement for the heatsinks (657-15ABP)? Mouser just ran out last night. This one (647-15ABP) seems to be identical other than the fact that it's a touch heavier which changes the thermal characteristics ever so slightly.

I'm about to attempt this as my first DIY electrical project in 12 years... so as soon as something doesn't match my BOM or schematics, I start to panic.

Since the heatsinks do get pretty hot, you can opt for the taller ones (1/2" more) and they're currently in stock. Good luck with your build!

From the data sheet:
P/N
637-15ABP G 1.500 (38.1) 1.375 (34.9) x 0.500 (12.7) 65°C @ 6w 5.5°C/W @ 200 LFM 0.035 (15.88)
637-20ABP G 2.000 (50.8) 1.375 (34.9) x 0.500 (12.7) 55°C @ 6W 4.7°C/W @ 200 LFM 0.050 (22.68)

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #2,484 of 7,277
I have a bunch (12 or so) of the 1-1/2" heatsinks that are already tapped with 4-40 threads that I will probably list for sale in the next few days. They came out of a beta22 but are exactly what I used for my first SSH.

Feb 26, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #2,487 of 7,277
Soup to nuts total is about 4hrs. Apologies for the dirty chassis and lack of internal pics. I'll take care of both tomorrow night but for now you'll just have to imagine.
smily_headphones1.gif

109595933.jpg

109595936.jpg

109595935.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back