Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Feb 14, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #2,341 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by zkool448 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking you should stick with the .38A or higher current ps. If you get a higher one just load your mssh up with a pair of super bright, hi mcd tube LEDs, pwr indicator, enclosure etc. sounds like a good way to spare those extra amps
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, can anyone recommend super bright red LEDs rated at 600-800mcd range? and what resistor value would you recommend to use if I tap to the stock 48v/.38A ps?

I ask since I already have a .25a one and dont want to source a higher power one due to cost
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #2,343 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightanole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the tube center i got on monday, no waiting.

Can we trust that source? The site seems shady and highly insecure. I'm certainly not going to be putting my CC info into a form that gets sent in cleartext (they need to be slapped for that).

I'll place an order over the phone with a throw-away card if any can vouch for them.

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #2,345 of 7,277
OR just call them on the phone like me. I just emailed them if they were instock, they said they are getting a shipment in on monday. I called monday and did a phone order. Less then a week later i had 2 sets of matching tubes.

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #2,346 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hase /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can we trust that source? The site seems shady and highly insecure. I'm certainly not going to be putting my CC info into a form that gets sent in cleartext (they need to be slapped for that).

I'll place an order over the phone with a throw-away card if any can vouch for them.

Vouch for Stan at the Tube Center? I'm embarassed to admit I've probably sent him well over $1000 in the last year. Yes, he's trustworthy. He's also big in the Ham radio community and travels to many of the meets, so there may be times when he's a bit hard to get.
wink.gif

EDIT: Keep in mind that some of these tube vendors have been around since the old days. That doesn't mean they're up on the latest web technology and e-commerce.
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #2,347 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: Keep in mind that some of these tube vendors have been around since the old days. That doesn't mean they're up on the latest web technology and e-commerce.
wink.gif

I'm just glad they have a website. Most tube dealers and tv/radio service shops locally don't even have websites. Can't find them and browse through their catalog easily unless you consult the local yellow pages (what's yellow pages?
smily_headphones1.gif
)

The contact I have is Jack at the tubecenter. Paid through paypal last week and just waiting now for the tubes to arrive this week.

EDIT: I meant to say Jack, not Jeff... had the names mixed up as I've also inquired at GJA for a soha ii kit : )

Feb 15, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #2,348 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by zkool448 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just glad they have a website.

I agree about the website, NOT the e-commerce part. E-commerce like this is dangerous and makes cyber-crime profitable. They are helping the criminals. If you want to understand how, PM me and I'll send you the research and references, no need to hijack the thread.

That said, good to know they themselves are good folks, I just sent an e-mail requesting a paypal invoice.

Feb 16, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #2,351 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long does The Tube Center usually take to ship out?

I sent in my first payment on Monday and the second on tuesday. I haven't received the tubes yet. I expect to have them by tuesday or latest by wednesday. Should be just in time for the mouser order for the rest of the parts to arrive.

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #2,353 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by gore.rubicon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats the current state of the pcbs? any chance of getting one by the march break?

Prototypes will be sent to the prototypers Tuesday morning (the Post Office doesn't open until then). I think all we need is a couple of them to be built and prove out everything. I'm hoping that won't take much longer than 2 weeks, maybe 3. After that, we'll order the production boards. It'll take about 2 weeks for the production boards to be made. Add another week for shipping and for me to get them up for sale on beezar, and then we're off and running.

Whether that will come in time for your March break, I don't know.

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #2,354 of 7,277
Well im getting my mouser order together. Im going a little high end for the c3,c5, out put cabs and mouser is out of Nichicon KZ 470uF 50V caps till may, and beezer only has 35v caps. What should i do? If i order with mouser, do they auto ship in may for free, or do i have to pay for shipping again?

Also do i really need the $16 alps pot if im doing the shunt style approach? To me it looks like the audio isnt going through the pot at all so i was hoping a standard 50k pot from mouser would be fine.

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #2,355 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightanole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well im getting my mouser order together. Im going a little high end for the c3,c5, out put cabs and mouser is out of Nichicon KZ 470uF 50V caps till may, and beezer only has 35v caps. What should i do? If i order with mouser, do they auto ship in may for free, or do i have to pay for shipping again?

Yes, Mouser will charge you for shipping again. As for Beezar.com - sorry - but officially, I'm only supporting the MAX, MiniMAX, and BantamDAC for the moment. 35V caps are fine on the MAX and MiniMAX, but 50V are not "fine" for the Starving Student. I know what some have said, but you should really use 63V caps, minimum.
Quote:

Also do i really need the $16 alps pot if im doing the shunt style approach? To me it looks like the audio isnt going through the pot at all so i was hoping a standard 50k pot from mouser would be fine.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here by "shunt style." Every bit of the signal goes through the pot unless you're using something like an OptiVol. Even so, I know some people have used the ALPS, but all we're spec'ing for the SSMH PCB is the little Alpha that Pete originally used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back