Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Feb 13, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #2,311 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT3: A standard Millett MAX's sockets stick about 0.54" above the surface of the PCB, but this will vary depending on how hard you squish down the socket when you solder it (I squish very hard.) Accounting for the thickness of the plate, about 0.21" of the socket will be above the surface of the top plate (using the Hammond "L" case). Note that the typical PCB 7-pin ceramic socket is 0.725" in diameter. The typical 19J6 tube is about 0.715" in diameter.

Make the hole 3/4".
smily_headphones1.gif

Got it!
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks tomb.

zk

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #2,312 of 7,277
Quote:

A quality p2p build compared to a quality through-hole PCB will sound the same, period. Also, I have no doubt that the Whiplash versions are quality builds.

The same is not true for digital circuits (DACs, SMD, etc.), but that doesn't apply here.

Point to point is so much more fun to do though. I don't get anywhere near the same sense of accomplishment from just stuffing a PCB.

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #2,313 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oldking used them to build is, i think he posted pics of a few of his builds earlier in the thread

Millett "Starving Student" hybrid headphone amplifier on Flickr - Photo Sharing! he has pics on his flickr page that shows the connector attached to the mosfets

Search for " .100 molex " and you can find them. You also need the pins which insert into the connector. I think I used "k.k." series.

Or you can just use fan connectors if you have them.

I wanted to have disconnects at the mosfets to allow me to take the thing apart... they work great.

Feb 14, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #2,315 of 7,277
Do you guys have any ideas of who will be supplying boards?

*I have family members and friends who really want to get their hands on one as their second DIY projects (helped them do a CMoy one saturday and supplied the parts as an Xmas gift).*

Boards will be between $15 and 20 I am guessing?

Feb 14, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #2,316 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you guys have any ideas of who will be supplying boards?

*I have family members and friends who really want to get their hands on one as their second DIY projects (helped them do a CMoy one saturday and supplied the parts as an Xmas gift).*

Boards will be between $15 and 20 I am guessing?

I haven't discussed it specifically with Nate yet, but Dsavitsk and I agree that beezar.com is the way to handle it. I'm going to set it up so that tubes are sold in tested, matched pairs only with the PCB. IOW, if you want tubes, you'll have to purchase the PCB, too. You'll be able to purchase the PCB's separately, but not the tubes. This seems the fairest way to do it and the best way to make certain that most people will get a shot at tubes if they want to build the PCB. Unlike the tubes - if we run out of PCB's, we can always order more.

As far as pricing, I would expect the boards to be 1/2 what you are guessing.
wink.gif
It's been $15 for the prototypes, but prototypes are always more expensive.

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #2,318 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Point to point is so much more fun to do though. I don't get anywhere near the same sense of accomplishment from just stuffing a PCB.

+1

I don't think I'll ever go back to PCB's! For me, it's the problem solving and interpretation involved that is so much fun.

Before my SS I was really interested in buying an Aikido kit. Now it's going to have to be bus-bars and bakelite all the way!

edit: not to crap on anyone's fun! i actually have done a lot of PCB projects before trying PTP.

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #2,319 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

PCBs will be great for the less confident ones who want to explore this nice little amp, but P2P is what made it particularly compelling for me. I learned a lot building mine and had a real sense of accomplishment when I first hit the switch and music came out.

Feb 14, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #2,321 of 7,277
Quote:

A quality p2p build compared to a quality through-hole PCB will sound the same, period. Also, I have no doubt that the Whiplash versions are quality builds.

The same is not true for digital circuits (DACs, SMD, etc.), but that doesn't apply here.

Thanks for your response.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by iareConfusE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But PCB's just look so much neater!

Yes but its more a matter of personal taste than anything else -IMHO-.
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #2,323 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by iareConfusE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh one more question, what are the dimensions of the PCB?
width x length?

Board Dimensions: 3.87" wide x 3.14" (98mm wide x 80mm),
Board Specs: 2oz copper (production version) on an 0.062" (1.6mm) FR4 dielectric

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #2,324 of 7,277
Wow, that is great!

That is also a really nice service to the community.

Is there a specific Hammond or other enclosure that you guys have in mind?

It would be nice if we could get pre-drilled cases to take care of the other intimidating part - casework.
The MiniMax looks fantastic and there could definitly be interest for something like this.

PTP can be really intimidating for people, but it is extremely easy to change things or parts if you want to later something harder to do with a PCB.

You just made my dad extremely happy!

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #2,325 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that is great!

That is also a really nice service to the community.

Is there a specific Hammond or other enclosure that you guys have in mind?

It would be nice if we could get pre-drilled cases to take care of the other intimidating part - casework.
The MiniMax looks fantastic and there could definitly be interest for something like this.

PTP can be really intimidating for people, but it is extremely easy to change things or parts if you want to later something harder to do with a PCB.

You just made my dad extremely happy!

Have a look at: DIYForums.org • View topic - Starving Student Millett Hybrid PCB - designed by Dsavitsk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back