Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Feb 11, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #2,282 of 7,277
The bigger power supply would allow you to modify the amp to use 6j6 tubes. you would need to rewire the filaments with a voltage regulator and install resistors where the filaments currently act as resistors for the MOSFET. No where near as elegant as the Millett design, but it would be much easier to source 6j6 in lieu of 19j6 tubes. Of course, the trade off is increased power consumption.

Feb 11, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #2,283 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. However, an oversized power supply may actually have trouble producing enough voltage under a very light load. I think this was more of a problem on older switching supplies, but still - there is a greater chance of poor regulation under a very light load than not. That could mean worse sound with a bigger power supply, not better.

How about an undersized one? I found a 48v .25a supply too small?

Feb 11, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #2,284 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sancho86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sancho86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm thinking you should stick with the .38A or higher current ps. If you get a higher one just load your mssh up with a pair of super bright, hi mcd tube LEDs, pwr indicator, enclosure etc. sounds like a good way to spare those extra amps
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, can anyone recommend super bright red LEDs rated at 600-800mcd range? and what resistor value would you recommend to use if I tap to the stock 48v/.38A ps?

Feb 12, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #2,285 of 7,277
well,

I scored 2 more 19J6 tubes.. I will try to mount the heatsinks inside the case and if it gets too warm I will punch some vents on the bottom of the case..

Now to place that mouser order I have een putting off for so long

Feb 12, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #2,286 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by zkool448 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking you should stick with the .38A or higher current ps. If you get a higher one just load your mssh up with a pair of super bright, hi mcd tube LEDs, pwr indicator, enclosure etc. sounds like a good way to spare those extra amps
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, can anyone recommend super bright red LEDs rated at 600-800mcd range? and what resistor value would you recommend to use if I tap to the stock 48v/.38A ps?

The diode is almost impossible. It would have to be anywhere from 10 watts to 40 watts depending on the led. Think about it, a led is basically a short (dropping only 1-3.6v) and the resistor drops the rest, So your just putting a resistor across your powersuppy that has to suck 20-150ma or higher. the 1000mcd ones are 3v 20ma, so thats a 1k 2.5watt resistor.

LED calculator for single LEDs

Feb 12, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #2,287 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by zkool448 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have no idea what the previous poster is talking about, but if you want the LED to be bright you should give it close to its maximum current rating - which is generally 20mA.
From a 48V supply 2.3K will give you approximately 20mA. That resistor will be burning up 0.92W of power so you're best to use a 2W resistor for safey (ie it is specified to handle 2x the expected power).
Mouser has very bright red LEDs. They are called "hyper orange" but they're really just red.
Here's a suitable LED resistor for your application.

EDIT Here are those LEDs lighting up the tubes on a Starving Student:
Mini_Millet_Front_Glow2.jpg

Feb 12, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #2,288 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT Here are those LEDs lighting up the tubes on a Starving Student:
Mini_Millet_Front_Glow2.jpg

Very sharp. I prefer the soft orange glow of the tubes themselves, but it's a nice looking amp. What 1/4" jack is that? I was looking for a black one, but could only find the locking Neutrik which wouldn't fit.

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #2,289 of 7,277
rds, that's one sweet compact ss unit you have there!

Thanks for the LED and R source info, I like your tubes look a lot and I will go ahead and grab a couple. As good as they look with a black case I'm however unsure how it'll match with my light maple enclosure though... perhaps blue's?

Feb 12, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #2,290 of 7,277
Some of you may not realize (lots of new people), but rds's rendition of the Starving Student is also sold at Whiplash Audio (a Head-Fi sponsor) as the "Mini-Millett":
Mini Millet DIY Tube Amplifier

They're out of stock right now - maybe they're waiting on the new PCB's.
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #2,291 of 7,277
I like the case RDS used, I used the same one for my second SS build in my avatar
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #2,292 of 7,277
I have ordered all of my parts for a SS and I am starting on the chassis...

I have a couple of heatsinks which are sufficiently large and I am wondering if
it is ok to mount them to the chassis so there is no stress on the mosfet legs?
I don't know if this will create a grounding problem, I ordered the mounting kit which includes an insulator but I wanted to make sure before I start building.

Feb 12, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #2,293 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaughn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have ordered all of my parts for a SS and I am starting on the chassis...

I have a couple of heatsinks which are sufficiently large and I am wondering if
it is ok to mount them to the chassis so there is no stress on the mosfet legs?
I don't know if this will create a grounding problem, I ordered the mounting kit which includes an insulator but I wanted to make sure before I start building.

It's fine, I think that's what basically everyone has been doing if you look at the builds so far. I soldered mine to the enclosure because I couldn't get the damn pins out.

Feb 12, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #2,294 of 7,277
Yes I soldered the pins to the copper clad board also.

Regarding the pins, I wonder if it is forged steel (or whichever material they use) that can be filed down with a bench grinder flushed to the heatsink, then tap the other end and use screws for mounting it to the case.

Feb 12, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #2,295 of 7,277
I pulled the pins out of mine with some vice grips. You just need a really good bite on the pin then twist it out. Then you can either tap it, or use self-tapping #4 size (~3mm) screws. If you're careful, you can use 4-40 machine screws without tapping it first, but I broke a couple screw head off doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back