Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Feb 11, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #2,268 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaughn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Investigate the Alien DAC, about $50 in kit form or cheaper if you assemble the parts yourself. I plan on building one into my SS.

There is another DAC available now, too.
wink.gif
wink.gif

Imagineering invoiced me yesterday, so I expect the proto boards will arrive on my doorstep on Thursday, perhaps, maybe Friday.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #2,272 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah..i placed an order at the same place today..they told me they would give me 6 but ended up snding me an invoice for only 4. Still better than none i guess

I placed my order last week and got no response/invoice just curious if you got a paper copy or email or anything.
I had called them last week and they told me they were getting a shipment in on Monday but no email, letter, or charge on my account.

Thanks in advance

Feb 11, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #2,273 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swingtops /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I placed my order last week and got no response/invoice just curious if you got a paper copy or email or anything.
I had called them last week and they told me they were getting a shipment in on Monday but no email, letter, or charge on my account.

Thanks in advance

I had them send me an invoice via paypal..

Feb 11, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #2,275 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by iareConfusE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are the prototypes coming along? Has anyone received the boards yet, or are they still being made?

A few posts back:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imagineering invoiced me yesterday, so I expect the proto boards will arrive on my doorstep on Thursday, perhaps, maybe Friday.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #2,276 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Evil Dan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the starving student shouldnt have problems driving grados. in fact, i am using a pair of grados now, and they get more than loud enough.

So your driving grados with stock bom resistors and pot and have usable volume control?

Feb 11, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #2,277 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightanole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So your driving grados with stock bom resistors and pot and have usable volume control?

IIRC, the resistors are stock. And I am using an Alps RK27, which is stock value of 50k. I don't have problems with the volume control, but some people might because it gets really loud pretty fast. I would say maybe 20% of the way through the turn is where I have mine. If you have problems with too much gain, you can do this : Shunt Pot Volume Control - World-Designs-Forum

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #2,278 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swingtops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks in advance

I didn't get one either, but when I called them they told me I'd get 6 on my order of 10. Hopefully they'll show up tommorrow

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #2,279 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightanole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well i got most things in order. I have 2 questions though. There are 2 48v cisco power supplies on ebay, one is 1.5 amp and the other is .38 amp. Which one do i get?

the last question is how to you get this to run lower ohm cans like grado and sony v6's? I dont have any phones over 80 ohms and was planning on getting a 25ohm pair of denon d2000's one day.

The .38amp one is plenty. That's what Pete speced originally and what most of us use. Unless you have another need for a 48V PS and/or the 1.5A one is cheaper, I'm not sure what advantage would be gained. The other poster is right that it won't hurt to have the 1.5A PS, but this project is supposed to be trying to be as inexpensive as possible, so why spend extra on a PS?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgupt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can these handle beyer 880s? (250 ohm)

I listen to Sennheiser 580s and 650s with mine and it drives them fine. Those are both 300ohms.

Feb 11, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #2,280 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The .38amp one is plenty. That's what Pete speced originally and what most of us use. Unless you have another need for a 48V PS and/or the 1.5A one is cheaper, I'm not sure what advantage would be gained. The other poster is right that it won't hurt to have the 1.5A PS, but this project is supposed to be trying to be as inexpensive as possible, so why spend extra on a PS? <snip>

Agreed. However, an oversized power supply may actually have trouble producing enough voltage under a very light load. I think this was more of a problem on older switching supplies, but still - there is a greater chance of poor regulation under a very light load than not. That could mean worse sound with a bigger power supply, not better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back